Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Pictures of it but i had the hionor of helping with the visiting wall when it came thru here we handed out paper and pencils to people to make rubs and helped them with it and finding of the names they were looking for. Helped guide people over to wear the tattered flagas were to be burned! It was a very emotional day!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed it to thou! it was just great trying to help these men find their friends, the hard part was when they cried and they couln't do it, I helped then make the rub.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get all teary eyed too, like right now. :'( We had the "Traveling Wall" in our town too, almost a year after my visit to DC. All members of the local armed forces stood guard duty during that time. I was in charge of searching through the ledger to help people find the location of names. I gave them paper, pencil and the book The Wall That Heals by Jan Scruggs. A very touching moment for many who were not able to see the wall in DC.

:) RR

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever crossed the mighty Mississippi
mississippibridge (2).jpg
The Greater New Orleans Bridge​

747_huey_long_bridge (2).jpg
The Huey P. Long Bridge @ NOLA​

They're both scary to cross, it took me a long time before I would even smoke while crossing the GNOB. I wanted both hands on the wheel. I crossed that bridge twice a day. One day there was a emergency, a woman stopped her vehicle on the bridge she was in the final stages of labor. EMT delivered the baby on the bridge. Heard about it the next day on the news...she had named the little girl "Bridget". Well, you think this bridge is bad, the only way home was to cross on the HPLB or cross on the Luling/Destreshan ferry. The train crosses between the lanes...enough to petrify you.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevada40AcWildHorses.jpg

Did you ever see a herd of wild horses running free
Across the empty spaces in Nevada?​

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Neat pictures River, where is that?

Crossing the Mississippi River in New Orleans.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
River I'd be horrified with a train crossing in front of me, on a bridge to boot! I'd have walked. :walk:

Those horses are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Did you take that picture? I would love to see that in person.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
How about this one.........

ready1.jpg

Taken at the 60th memorial remembrance ( Feb 23, 2005 ) at the Elizaville Ky cemetery. The retired Marine Corp colorguard gave a 3 volley for a fallen hero. The fallen hero was Franklin Sousley, the 2nd soldier from the left in the famous Joe Rosenthal photo of the 2nd flag raising on top of Mt. Suribachi in WWII.

You can read more about him here:

http://www.iwojima.com/raising/raisingc.htm

He was killed by a Japanese sniper about a month later.
In 1949, his remains were transferred to Elizaville Ky & a remembrance takes place every February......see ya mark

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
River Rat said:
Two of my classmate's names are here, a few other locals from my area On my second trip I got etching of the names, one name I could not reach. Someone went to the back up on the grass and leaned down to get the etching, it was a military function I was on, when I got back to the bus, I was crying uncontrollably. My pictures are stored away, taken at night in the snow.

I also have friends names on 'The Wall', one is LT. Sam Bird, (He was in charge of the Kennedy Pallbearers).
After I came home, & his tour with 'The Old Guard' was over, on his second tour in Vietnam, he was shot up in a Helicopter, just a few days before he was to go home.
He returned home, married his High school sweetheart, but lived in great pain until his death several years later, a buddy wrote a story for the Readers Digest about him it is called (The Courage Of Sam Bird), I am saving the book for my children.
The other name is John Finch, a buddy for about a year, then he volunteered, & was killed on his first mission, (he had an identical twin in another company).
I had the Honor of marching beside the 'Cassion', as we took him to Arlington Cemetary, we folded the flag & gave it to the next of kin, that was one of my 'saddest days ever', & the playing of 'Taps', always takes me back.
Let us never forget our 'Heroes', GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Fossis...............

woe

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Heres a couple that should fit in the song somewhere.

The eagle pic was taken in the fog with some sun getting through.

Attachments

• eagle1 039_RJ_3.JPG
    eagle1 039_RJ_3.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 651
  • desert 6 - 29 - 7 049_RT8_2.jpg
    desert 6 - 29 - 7 049_RT8_2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 643
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
The Eagle is a WOW! Great additions Ron & April, they deffinately fit.

Sis, I couldn't agree more. I hope they keep coming, I'm loving them all!

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
ZZZZZZZZ ........ zzzzzz .............. :coffee2: ..... :icon_sunny: ..... life is good ...... God Bless America.

Attachments

• Reflection.jpg
    Reflection.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 619

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lovers Leap on the Mississippi ...Hannibal Missouri

Attachments

• Lovers Leap Mississippi River Hannibal Missouri.jpg
    Lovers Leap Mississippi River Hannibal Missouri.jpg