Cheat Sheet

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, Have you read the Andy Sabish book yet? It is a must. If you have questions about settings etc and what you seeing/hearing you can PM me with your number and I will share what I know. The book is good and helped me a lot when I first got the machine.

Andy

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your owners manual will give you a very basic understanding, but still leaves things up to question. I recommend watching Gary's videos on YouTube, then read Andy's book. Gary's videos will give you a better appreciation on what the book covers. The tones and range are customizable based on what you are looking for which is part of what makes the XP so great.

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree with the suggestions given so far. Read as much as you can and watch as much as you can. I don't keep a cheat sheet but i do keep a spreadsheet of my custom settings. The Deus provides a wealth of information and you will soon start to understand it. I got my deus in the spring and every time i take it out i understand it a little more. Good luck. You'll find many great things with it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set id norm on so I don't have to remember different numbers for different frequencies. Dig anything repeatable above 85. That's a good starting point

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set id norm on so I don't have to remember different numbers for different frequencies. Dig anything repeatable above 85. That's a good starting point

I thought about that but wanted the ability to check targets at different frequencies with associated TDI to weed out trash.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Deus is an audio first detector. Just learn the subtle audio characteristics and forget the numbers. Weed out the trash by audio.

The numbers aren't as reliable. Best to learn without them, imo. Learn by diging everything above iron for 100 hours and paying attention to only the tones.

Good hunting.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug civil war buttons in the 40s etc I dont rely on the vdi to much but I relic hunt. The coinshooter could still get in trouble watching the numbers to much if there is any iron in the mix because it will drive the vdi numbers down and you will walk past a good target. let me check my silver trime 82, spanish cob 89-90, walking liberty half dollar 96, standing liberty quarter 94-95, mercury dime 90,king george 86-87, indian head 69-70 ,half reale 86,large cent 96. This in 12 kh. I will tell you a secret NOT one these coins was dug because of the VDI it was because of the TONES. not saying the vdi was not good but that the tone rules over it.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig on TDI either. What I meant was if something stays at 97 TDI (for example) across 8khz, 12khz, and 18khz, it's a good bet that it is a large piece of rusted iron. If the it changes with the frequency it's a good chance it's a good target. At least that's what I gathered from Andy's book.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A VERY GOOD TIP jadocs and I have found that to be true almost everytime ive ever checked it. I dont check targets that way when digging in thick iron though.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about that but wanted the ability to check targets at different frequencies with associated TDI to weed out trash.

I will add that I like to hunt with zero disc and hear everything in the ground. I dig almost anything repeatable that has that sweet crisp but faint deeper sound. You will not always get a vdi or will get a slightly higher vdi on the deep targets. Usually less junk and more treasure beyond 5-6" but some sites can be troublesome. What you decide to dig and don't dig depends a lot on the specific site and what your looking for

Last edited:

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this should help IMAG1047.jpg

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate to have a local expert teach me. He's a fan of full tones.
d92341969f0f3af6f8ffcc3cbcd79398.jpg

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will add that I like to hunt with zero disc and hear everything in the ground. I dig almost anything repeatable that has that sweet crisp but faint deeper sound. You will not always get a vdi or will get a slightly higher vdi on the deep targets. Usually less junk and more treasure beyond 5-6" but some sites can be troublesome. What you decide to dig and don't dig depends a lot on the specific site and what your looking for

I too run my deus with no disc and full tones. It takes some time to get a handle on, but once grasped you will love the extra info it tells you. Funny as now when i go back to even 5 tones, if feels like I'm using a much more primitive detector. Almost like it is speaking in slang. Instead of full understandable sentences. Full tones, well worth the effort….

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well said metal junkie!

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full Tones. I've done all the set freq's to high and low, diff amount of freq's, nothing I mean NOTHING is better than full tones!

Watch Calabash Diggers videos, great teaching tool. (Thanks Bash!)

Jim

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You just gave me a great idea on how to create a Sabisch pocket guide/cheat sheet I can have on my phone anytime I need to pull up an obscure mode or setting. Thanks.

Re: the OP. Agree with many of the suggestions above including:

1. Watch Gary vids
2. Invest in Andy's book, if possible.
3. Watch. Calabash Digger's Vids and others such as ThehunterGT's vids.
4. Train your ear with frequent hunts and/or build a sophisticated test garden (again read Andy's book and/or watch Calabash's vids on how to do this). I can't stress this enough. It has taken me a full year to feel like I am perhaps starting to master this machine - kind of like mastering a musical instrument. [e.g., you can certainly find targets out of the box just like you can make musical notes with a piano on day one, but as you master the machine you can start to find some sophisticated targets you would otherwise miss, just like being able to put those notes together to play some recognizable music - uh, oh - did I just take a side trip to Planet Cornball? Deus can lalso make one insane...but that's another story...]
5. I personally would start with preprogrammed modes (esp Deus fast - a great all around program that forms the starting point basis for most of my custom programs) and 4/5 tones and work your way up to full tones using custom programs, many of which are contained in the sticky thread.
6. Become adept at switching between custom programs (frequencies) to get a handle on your target (this is why ID norm does not personally work for me, similar to what jadocs said previously). I also like to switch between the single VCO based all metal gold field pgm and the more traditional discrimination/full tones programs.
7. Read tips scattered about in the Deus forum on how to combat chatty EMI type noise on the Deus by tweaking settings in a logical manner to minimize impact on depth capability (i.e., how to intelligently trade off noise suppresion without sacrificing most of the deep/small targets). Learn some of the quirks of the advanced settings such as silencer which reverts to an undesirably high setting whenever you switch reactivity, killing depth.
8. Learn the importance of how the various ground balance modes can be used under various soil/beach conditions. You can tweak the bejesus out of all the other settings, but if GB is not optimized you can end up making your machine blind as a bat (and I am not just talking about the GB number, but when tracking vs. Fixed vs. Pumping vs. Beach mode should be used).
9. Learn how some of the "secret" modes such as x-y display can be used to visually discriminate junk targets such as bottlecaps which can sometimes sound as sweet as a quarter.
10. Avoid notching out pull tabs/nickels unless you really don't want to find small gold jewelry.
11. Most of all, enjoy the fresh air, exercise, hunting buddies, forum buddies, and have a blast!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too run my deus with no disc and full tones. It takes some time to get a handle on, but once grasped you will love the extra info it tells you. Funny as now when i go back to even 5 tones, if feels like I'm using a much more primitive detector. Almost like it is speaking in slang. Instead of full understandable sentences. Full tones, well worth the effort….

This is such a true statement. I now also feel this way about gold field, esp beach hunting where I don't have to worry too much about iron junk masking, I feel almost blind switching back to a discrimination/full tones program (even with min or no discrimination) because I am looking for small signal purturbations consistent with small jewelry. If I just want to quickly sweep coins, I'll go to a full tones program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread