Feb 18, 2013
RUSSIA Ekaterinburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Signum SFT 7272
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, everybody!
Today, searchers told that all zone of falling of splinters, filled up with snow.
Now searches, will begin at, snow thawing.
Yours faithfully, barkas.

OP
OP
B

barkas.60

Feb 18, 2013
RUSSIA Ekaterinburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Signum SFT 7272
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On February 25, 2013, 15:54 (Moscow time) | Society
| Nakanune.ru
Scientists defined approximate age of the Chelyabinsk meteorite
It is updated: 17:11 (Moscow time)
Subject: Meteorite explosion over Ural
The approximate age of the Chelyabinsk meteorite makes about 4,5 billion years. Scientists believe that it arose together with other planets of solar system, thus, could fly by by Earth several times before its trajectory coincided with a terrestrial orbit, correspondent Nakanune.Ru reports.

As the assistant manager laboratory метеоритики institute of geochemistry and analytical chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences Dmitry Badyukov reported, the Chelyabinsk meteorite, about 15 meters in size, flew in Earth atmosphere with a speed of 18-20 km/s on the flat route (less than 20%). At an entrance to dense beds of the atmosphere at the height of 60 km it started being split up and blow up. At the height of 20 km it was shattered and dropped out on the earth a stone rain.

"Scales of a stone rain shake. They begin to the east of Emanzhelinsk, and last to Zlatoust. The history didn't see such large field of dispersion of a meteoric rain" — the scientist reported.

The first scientific works showed that the Chelyabinsk meteorite represents the ordinary is depressed which consists of a standard set of minerals (оливин, пироксены, троилит, камасит). The weight of a meteorite made 7-10 thousand tons, but the earth was reached by about 5-10% from initial weight.

"The majority of meteorites (80%) belong to ordinary хондритам. But the first look says that in this meteorite there is an interesting feature – it all is penetrated by fusion streaks. Such quantity of streaks I never saw. It means that the meteorite when dangled in space, crashed into it other asteroid. It strongly hit it and fusion streaks were formed. This event could lead to crushing and scattering" — the employee of the Russian Academy of Sciences considers.

According to its version, collision happened in a belt of asteroids between Mars and Jupiter. During evolution the fragment changed the orbit, probably, several times flew by by Earth before its orbit began to be crossed with Earth orbit.

"This heavenly body arose about 4,5 billion years ago together with planets of solar system. More precisely difficult to define its age as it isn't radioactive" — the head of the department of theoretical physics ChELGU Alexander Dudorov reported.

The vice rector for scientific work ChELGU Andrey Melnikov reported that the order of the rector on creation of the center for studying of the Chelyabinsk meteorite today is signed.

Scientists should find out an exact trajectory of flight of a meteorite for what it is necessary to study video of its falling with a binding to a shooting place. The second direction of researches – substance of which the meteorite consists.

The help to scientists in search of fragments is rendered by locals. So two brothers from Korkino Leonid and Timothy Ilyins handed over ChELGU the largest piece of a meteorite, weighing 233 grams. It will place in a museum of unearthly substance. Enthusiasts on own initiative are engaged in searches of fragments and already learned to distinguish pieces of a meteorite from a usual stone.

"The usual stone can't lie in snow melted off in a flask. It fell, cooled down in snow and a certain snow glass turned out. In our collection now about 20 copies, the others we presented to university and acquaintances" — Leonid Ilyin told.

The biggest meteorite in a collection of brothers weighs half a kilogram, but they are sure that there are copies to 5 kg. While they aren't found, searches will proceed.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, everybody!
Today, searchers told that all zone of falling of splinters, filled up with snow.
Now searches, will begin at, snow thawing.
Yours faithfully, barkas.

I guess that means Spring. I was afraid of that, but you and your friend should find many more stones when the snow is gone. I heard one experienced meteorite dealer estimate about 1200 kilograms should turn up in the Spring. The best of luck to you folks!

i saw the story about the photo montage in your last post. A professional photographer in the right place at the right time. He thought he was going to die! Who would not? But he kept on taking photos. Beautiful record. Probably the best documented meteorite fall in history and the acoustic record was amazing as much as the visual record. Thanks for sharing all the information and photos, barkas.

Last edited:

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

barkas.60

Feb 18, 2013
RUSSIA Ekaterinburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Signum SFT 7272
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
http://asaphus.livejournal.com/102963.html

Plate I (drank) one of meteorite samples. Here roundish educations (хондры) and cracks (vein) filled with shock fusion are visible. The meteorite is probably non-uniform.
The preliminary analysis showed that the meteorite belongs to chemical type L or LL, petrologic type 5.

*** (Types 4, 5, and 6 it is steady meteorites with high degree of a thermal metamorphism. Mineral structure of such meteorites almost uniform because of influence of high temperatures. In type 4 the matrix recrystallizes and becomes more rough, with a big size of grain. In хондритах type 5 хондры become indistinct and the matrix can't almost be found. In ходритах type 6 хондры and a matrix are indiscernible. ) ***

As the employee of Laboratory метеоритики reported, the candidate of geological and mineralogical sciences Kirill Lorentz, in the course of further research of samples of a meteoric rain it became clear that copies of a meteorite have different structure (is depressed, a brekchiya, shock fusion). Thus the meteorite represents shock the melted brekchiya.
(according to committee метеоритики)

I transport: )) )
the meteorite most likely is a fragment of space object (a planet or an asteroid) thrown out in space at collision of this object with other meteorite or an asteroid, it is very probable that the meteorite was cemented by ice, or it was present among fragments (that however one and too) - from here (besides possibly) and big women.
Most likely it is possible not to count on big pieces (((

On ebay the piece (very similar to a meteorite, about 15 cm x 5 cm in size), was despite everything exposed three days ago, and the inhabitant of SPb, yesterday it left for 4100 dollars, without any certificates итп, at the best it will appear a meteorite but is exact not Chebarkulsky
and in general according to messages of local searchers it is now conducted pokvadratny чёс fields in a zone of drop-out of splinters

OP
OP
B

barkas.60

Feb 18, 2013
RUSSIA Ekaterinburg
Detector(s) used
AKA Signum SFT 7272
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The story of my friend, about the help in a field, where splinters.

I thank all for participation in the solution of my problems.
at 20-10 the best friend called, went to collect meteorites while assembled the grader swept up, to get out it didn't turn out, the car VAZ 2110. To the village about 4 km. Went to the village - tractor operators bukhy, a tractor without соляры or stand since the USSR. There was kind person Yura (at yumas forum) - offered services FIELDS.
The rescue operation failed, ten sits strongly, the grader is noticeable, hard we pass for the FIELD, under thickness of snow ice, places for a turn aren't present, dug out a pocket, developed the FIELD and went to torture happiness in the village where the picture significantly didn't change - all buzy when to regain consciousness - don't know (one thumps the third day, guarantees doesn't give that on Tuesday will cease! )
Returned in What. We will try to pull out ten from a field, any available ways in the morning! Operation becomes complicated falling snow and a strong wind which переметает the grader is even more.
I thank all who I felt pity, I empathized, Billona - for distress signal giving at a forum, Marina (Conscience), Petrovitch (Junior), Andrey (batya) for calls, for desire to help!
Special gratitude to Yura-yumasu who arrived, I helped, tried, in every possible way I assisted in rescue operation.
For what honestly put in it plus in turnip, and further I will put плюху in the form of a mountain glade (or women! ! ! )
All the rest - you can put in Yura plus in turnip according to the link
its post the last! ! !

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, that's where I read it. What a killer rock with the regmaglypts all over. I have not seen many low-iron OC's with that kind of ablation. I hope they pull up the mass from the bottom of the lake.

I think I read where a Russian scientist had estimated about 30cm diameter for the one that went through the ice. If I find the source for that and am wrong, I'll correct. 30cm would be pretty hefty. I hope they get it, sounds like they will try very hard.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The story of my friend, about the help in a field, where splinters.

I thank all for participation in the solution of my problems.
at 20-10 the best friend called, went to collect meteorites while assembled the grader swept up, to get out it didn't turn out, the car VAZ 2110. To the village about 4 km. Went to the village - tractor operators bukhy, a tractor without соляры or stand since the USSR. There was kind person Yura (at yumas forum) - offered services FIELDS.
The rescue operation failed, ten sits strongly, the grader is noticeable, hard we pass for the FIELD, under thickness of snow ice, places for a turn aren't present, dug out a pocket, developed the FIELD and went to torture happiness in the village where the picture significantly didn't change - all buzy when to regain consciousness - don't know (one thumps the third day, guarantees doesn't give that on Tuesday will cease! )
Returned in What. We will try to pull out ten from a field, any available ways in the morning! Operation becomes complicated falling snow and a strong wind which переметает the grader is even more.
I thank all who I felt pity, I empathized, Billona - for distress signal giving at a forum, Marina (Conscience), Petrovitch (Junior), Andrey (batya) for calls, for desire to help!
Special gratitude to Yura-yumasu who arrived, I helped, tried, in every possible way I assisted in rescue operation.
For what honestly put in it plus in turnip, and further I will put плюху in the form of a mountain glade (or women! ! ! )
All the rest - you can put in Yura plus in turnip according to the link
its post the last! ! !

barkas, it is difficult to understand the translation, but I think I understand. Your friend became stranded in the storm, and the storm may last until Tuesday? And on the Russian forums, his friends expressed distress and a desire to help.
So, I hope all turns out OK.

barkas, I have been trying to keep as informed as possible where this fall is concerned and I find information in many places. I can honestly say that you are the best source of information I have found. I normally post on the artifact forum, but I have been involved with meteorites for 30 years. I'm glad I found this section of TreasureNet, and I'm happy to meet you and receive the inside look you are providing to us.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barkas, it is difficult to understand the translation, but I think I understand. Your friend became stranded in the storm, and the storm may last until Tuesday? And on the Russian forums, his friends expressed distress and a desire to help.
So, I hope all turns out OK.

barkas, I have been trying to keep as informed as possible where this fall is concerned and I find information in many places. I can honestly say that you are the best source of information I have found. I normally post on the artifact forum, but I have been involved with meteorites for 30 years. I'm glad I found this section of TreasureNet, and I'm happy to meet you and receive the inside look you are providing to us.

Well stated Charl.
I have only been collecting meteorites for 5-6 years, but really have learned alot from being a member of the metlist. Unfortunately for me, it seems all the recoverable falls happen far away from PA. Have you been involved with any recent recovery efforts anywhere? Or are you involved scientifically? Or if a collector, what is your favorite meteorite in your collection?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread