Check Out This Estate Sale!

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine that flag starting a sword fight right in the living room...may even reignite an entire war.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I was being silly,lol. That flag should be around $2,500-3,500. I'll bet that they have it priced at $4,000. If I was there, I'd being buying all those rusty, broken percussion rifles, telling the sellers what horrible shape the are in. Since some of these supposedly came from a Confederate museum, look carefully for any confederate marks on any of the guns. Buy anything in reason that is Confederate.

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
There are a lot of Japanese woodblock prints (ukiyoe). It seems this person had quite a collection. Unfortunately a lot look like they have severe color loss. If they were a collector their might be rare prints in there. I would concentrate on anything that has a demon, animal, etc in the picture.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They start giving out numbers for entry at 7 am and I would be there by 6 am. This year I resolved to be one of the first people through the door at good estate sales and it has paid off. I settle on a couple of items I want to get, I am there an hour before the sale starts, and I ask the guy as I go through the door where the stuff I want is at.

But I bet the high end stuff here will be retail price or close to it. So a good bet might be the garage, closets, where the junk is, to find the hidden dirty treasures.

Then be in line the last day to see if there's any high end stuff at 50% off that is worth your while.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
They start giving out numbers for entry at 7 am and I would be there by 6 am. This year I resolved to be one of the first people through the door at good estate sales and it has paid off. I settle on a couple of items I want to get, I am there an hour before the sale starts, and I ask the guy as I go through the door where the stuff I want is at.

But I bet the high end stuff here will be retail price or close to it. So a good bet might be the garage, closets, where the junk is, to find the hidden dirty treasures.

Then be in line the last day to see if there's any high end stuff at 50% off that is worth your while.

If that was a sale by me you would have to get there at noon the day before to be in the top 10. Even an above average sale start the list keeping around 3am. Good sale, midnight.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that was a sale by me you would have to get there at noon the day before to be in the top 10. Even an above average sale start the list keeping around 3am. Good sale, midnight.
Wow, I'm not sure what area you are in but that kinda noise is not worth my time. What about garage sales? I find most of my bread and butter at those and sometimes some real killer deals.

When I pull up to this sale at 6 and there are 15 people waiting, I will turn right around and come back on auction day.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way that thing would fit in my Honda Accord.:BangHead:

It's only 4 feet long and 5.5" wide at the base. Everything comes off with the twist of a lever. I assure you it will fit in that honda's trunk. That is if they let you unscrew it from the workbench it's mounted to

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm not sure what area you are in but that kinda noise is not worth my time. What about garage sales? I find most of my bread and butter at those and sometimes some real killer deals.

When I pull up to this sale at 6 and there are 15 people waiting, I will turn right around and come back on auction day.

Getting there at 3am might be the ticket to being number one. At least if you are and on a list, you can go sleep a while and get back up around 5 or so

My area is pretty competitive for sales so getting up early is the key. Good thing I'm young and normally get up around 3:30 everyday, work or otherwise so I'm pretty hard to beat for the number one spot

The absolute nuttiest thing I've ever heard of for lines/sales was the one in La Jolla. They don't allow estate sales but some of the neatest stuff in the state is down there so when they do, the dealers go nuts. One older gentleman, a lifelong antique dealer, told me people would hire college kids to stand in line for multiple days at 100.00 per day, just so they had a spot when they drove down from LA

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I'm in the Auburn/Opelika(Alabama) area. A regular local estate sale will have 30 or more people there an hour before the sale & 80-100 by 30 minutes before. One with a reputable company with an exceptional sale will have over 100 people an hour or more before sale time. The estate sale company I help out on a part time basis has an email list of over 400 people. I have seen as many as 250 when I showed up to work an hour before start time for sales with exceptional merchandise.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Getting there at 3am might be the ticket to being number one. At least if you are and on a list, you can go sleep a while and get back up around 5 or so

Depending on who is running the sale in my neck of the woods leaving the premises can and will get your name crossed off the list. You can sign a list but if you aren't there when they decide to give out numbers you are SOL.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily, this area has fairly good competition. There is rich history in the area and garage sales can hold the same items hidden among the trash if you have you're game together. As said before, the hidden things will be the magic or not. If the home is as old as it looks, I'm detecting the yard!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I am surprised to hear this.

I'd be happy at this sale if I were only the 16th in line. Remember that half of the people in line are there for very specific things. The rest of the line will be made up of spouses of those in line, and at least one or two people who are there to buy the silliest things in the world.

I was first in line at the last sale I was at. The woman behind me? She got there an hour after I did, and was looking for records, and "kitchen stuff" because her daughter was getting her own apartment! I was in disbelief until I saw the written list of stuff her daughter wanted. I am not making this up!!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is ever any line to get into a yardsale I leave. I don't have time to wait. I have a 6 hour window every saturday morning to hit as many sales as I can.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link w-d-I , be worth a visit just for the Wow factor , plenty of treasures there ..cheers Mick

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is ever any line to get into a yardsale I leave. I don't have time to wait. I have a 6 hour window every saturday morning to hit as many sales as I can. I'm with you Dan. I recently drove past a well advertised estate sale with at least 100 people in line. I found 6 or 8 yard sales within 10 blocks that had hardly any people and made some great buys...

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched this thread closely as there was the potential for some major scores, but I haven't seem any updates?

Hope it went well or at least was the real deal. Would love to hear either way!

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't make it at all...That morning my phone rang very early to unlock a business that lost it's keys. They wanted me there right when the sale was to begin. Getting there without a ticket I knew I would be way back in line. I am not rich enough to turn down guaranteed money and scored another job shortly after, it was much needed.

My friend did go, she could care less about the civil war items but she did note some prices for me, everything was over retail and marked exactly to what the item was, when and where it was made and a price tag that would make you sick. "They had appraisers for weeks going through everything" was overheard, said by a company worker.

Sorry not to turn this into the event of the century and hope you all can forgive me for not showing a room full of exotics. I'm bummed too, the rest of my worthless weekend was spent fixing my vehicle and pouring out money to do so.

This weekend should be back to normal for me and hopefully I can contribute something worth a darn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread