Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Lord, get there early and bring lots of $$$. Even the auction house is excited! Good luck, and don't get hurt.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics make me want to drive there from NY.

There could be hidden treasurers there. More than likely, I would concentrate on what the owner seemed to primarily collected. I assume that would be the area most of the effort to get quality items was put into.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those sales where I feel so inadequate...this could be hiding some serious treasure and I will be there for the knowledge alone. The estate sale company is probably top notch but they can all miss here and there.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of those sales where I feel so inadequate...this could be hiding some serious treasure and I will be there for the knowledge alone. The estate sale company is probably top notch but they can all miss here and there.

The knowledge you will gain alone is priceless.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty exciting. Sometimes when there is so much stuff I get torn between what I actually like and what is a great deal to turn some profit on. Good luck. I like the green and white hobnail glass. Be sure and post what you buy.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
That is the kind of estate sale that I would attend for the items that are not pictured.

I'd be looking seriously at the tools, but then again, I am a tool guy.

I bet that prices are going to be high.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the kind of estate sale that I would attend for the items that are not pictured.

I'd be looking seriously at the tools, but then again, I am a tool guy.

I bet that prices are going to be high.
Sky high! I've teamed up with a couple others that have different areas of knowledge and have some money. This is something of a friendly network a few of us are working on to mentor each other and identify some areas of opportunity.
My hopes are that the items of considerable known values will conceal the hidden stuff.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
Like the swords and stuff. Thanks for sharing...

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I like the German officers hat and German helmet with eagle and swastica. Also the Japanese military katana.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sky high! I've teamed up with a couple others that have different areas of knowledge and have some money. This is something of a friendly network a few of us are working on to mentor each other and identify some areas of opportunity.
My hopes are that the items of considerable known values will conceal the hidden stuff.
I guess I have to go to Atlanta this weekend! lol, I wish! Are any of you familiar with the company having the sale? I see their website link is no good. That could be a good thing. There are a few companies down here that I wouldn't waste my time with, no matter how good it looked. Of course they don't even discount on the last hour of the last day, much less the second day! I think you will do best with the strategy you are talking about using. You want the "junk" no one else wants. That's where some of the best treasures are found.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be TV show. The ad is uncannily similar to one run in Westchester N.Y.. We drove all the way out there and it was some TruTv B.S. with a million cameras and staged items. Reputable estate co whose sales I'd been to before. Very, very annoying. Most items were brought in - not original to the estate.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting flag - looks like a homemade South Carolina Civil War era flag.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm about 90 minutes down the road from there. Looks like some interesting stuff. No idea if I'll go or not. Atlanta prices tend to be a lot higher especially if it's items that may be from the civil war. I'm not an expert on any of those things so I wouldn't know a deal if I saw one. You have to assume there will be things that will slip through the cracks...but competition will be fierce from retail buyers.

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
Looks like a nice sale. Pity the German visor is damaged and would need extensive restoration. It's for the pioneer branch of the army. The helmet is interesting too. M40 Luftwaffe but it looks like it had some GI art applied (the swastika on the front). I personally love those types of helmets. Every GI personalized helmet is different from the last. I see some Japanese and German swords as well.

I wonder what treasures are lurking in the piles that haven't been properly ID'd and are waiting for some lucky soul to scoop up a deal!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
War-

My game plan for a sale like that is to pick out a handful of items you see in the pics, and research the daylights out of them. For instance, there could be some real bargains to be scored with the guns, swords and pottery, but I am not educated enough to pick out a fake sword from one with a $4,000 value.

I've done this in the past, and I believe it helps in the future. I spent hours studying US Army helmets, and now know that the WWII issue helmets have a split seam on the front. The WWII issues also had different chin strap hooks than those used in Vietnam.

If that estate is real, like I mentioned before, I'm going to the sale for the stuff not pictured. That looks like the kind of estate that would have a nice machinist's vise, a WWII or early Coleman lantern or stove, an oddball book or two on early steam engines that was printed in 1983, a car jack to a 62-66 Pontiac, and a super clean 1958 license plate.

I also flea market, so sales like these are easy to pick for both ebay and the flea market.

If this a super experienced estate company, they are probably going to be on the ball with everything. But, sometimes, the estate companies are just as overwhelmed with the quantity and quality of stuff that they maybe forgetting the little stuff. Who cares about an old rusty car jack stuck in the depths of the garage when you have $15,000 in edged weapons you are hoping to sell??

HTH, and YMMV.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Delta Milwaukee Homecraft woodworking lathe would be a nice item to bring home, if you can get it before the others do. I have the exact same one and sold another for quite a bit, and that one is in much better shape then mine. Just make sure you pick up the gouges that go with it

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Delta Milwaukee Homecraft woodworking lathe would be a nice item to bring home, if you can get it before the others do. I have the exact same one and sold another for quite a bit, and that one is in much better shape then mine. Just make sure you pick up the gouges that go with it
No way that thing would fit in my Honda Accord.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread