Checking your pocket change daily

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
I was just wondering how many of you check your pocket change each day religiously?
I have been checking mine each night before it gets tossed in my massive Wine Jug.
Been doing this over a year now. There are so many things to look for making it real hard to remember everything to
check for related to each coin. This changes all the time as well each year. Coin books provide a good idea but coin books
are not regularly updated reflecting changes per coin.
Coin values also seem to fluctuate. I have been looking around for some online reliable sources where I can select a coin and date
by simply doing a search. Any advice or sources let me know

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your bills as well. I look for low digit serial numbers (under 00001000) and mismatched serial numbers. Never found a mismatched one yet, but I did sell a low digit one dollar bill for $50 on eBay last year. It was number 00000078 and in horrible condition with writing on the front. If it had been uncirculated, I would have gotten at least $400 for it.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I look for Star currency (replacements), foreign coins, silver, pre 1959 pennies, pre 1950 nickels, off center strikes, errors and Delaware quarters (only because they were first). I’m sure I miss a few here and there. Too much to remember as far as errors go.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Who has pocket change anymore? Finding money anywhere ( besides metal detecting) isn’t really a thing anymore
I agree, and it’s sad. I’m as guilty as anyone. I hate the idea of eliminating hard currency in lieu of electronic “tracking.” However, I use less cash every year. We get hooked on the convenience. I used to be in banks 2 or 3 times per week. Now it’s to access safe deposit box occasionally, or to coin roll hunt. If more people would use cash more often it may postpone the inevitable.

OP
OP
Garrett350@NC

Garrett350@NC

Apr 18, 2023
WIlson, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Who has pocket change anymore? Finding money anywhere ( besides metal detecting) isn’t really a thing anymore
Anyone that keeps cash on hand would have change at the end of day sometimes every day. Most of the time I use bank cards. But use cash for small purchases like drinks and snacks . If metal detecting is not a thing anymore why are you a member of TreasureNet?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check my change and bills any time I happen to have it, which is practically never. Ever since direct deposit and debit cards came along it's rare that I ever have any cash on me

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check my change and bills any time I happen to have it, which is practically never. Ever since direct deposit and debit cards came along it's rare that I ever have any cash on me
Bad move... try and re-think that lifestyle.
If you think long enough all things will become clear... and I HOPE that even at the very least... you and anyone else reading this...will realize.... and always be prepared for any cash only situation... everything from power outages... all types of disasters and collapses... FOR...
No cards will help you in any of those very basic important times more than likely.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a sad day in any society for its currency to disappear.
This is something you should never help / allow / choose... to lose the right to own and use.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at my change before throwing it in the bucket . I have 1 five gallon bucket full of mixed coins and will start on another. Cash is king here in rural Va and discounts are sometimes given when cash is used.

Reactions: ARC

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
A few months ago I let my gas tank get too low. Pulled in to gas station. They couldn’t get credit cards to work. Without cash, 2 choices: wait for issue to get resolved, or try to drive 12 miles to closest other station. I was able to prepay $20 cash and get fuel.
Also at restaurants I much prefer to tip the waitstaff with cash. That way the right person gets it. There are many scenarios for me. But bottom line, currency elimination is a step to complete government control.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a sad day in any society for its currency to disappear.
This is something you should never help / allow / chose... to lose the right to own and use.
edited...wrote in a hurry and split.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I
A few months ago I let my gas tank get too low. Pulled in to gas station. They couldn’t get credit cards to work. Without cash, 2 choices: wait for issue to get resolved, or try to drive 12 miles to closest other station. I was able to prepay $20 cash and get fuel.
Also at restaurants I much prefer to tip the waitstaff with cash. That way the right person gets it. There are many scenarios for me. But bottom line, currency elimination is a step to complete government control.
Your scenario is one of many most have forgotten... "does happen".
I am not so much on the control wagon as much as a rights issue.
Freedom of choices have been... and are continuing to be eroded and squeezed into a sort of "conform or else" type of thing more and more as time marches on.
One must cling to what little choices and freedoms are left.
I am not as much "anti-change" as I am "anti loss".

Cards are slower than cash... and reliant of third or more parties... not including the basics such as connection and power.
When comparing the 2... tit for tat.... cash wins hands down.

And why it has... always... and should never be "fazed from use"... and continue to be... human civilizations greatest way / method of payment for goods and services.

All the other forms or currency transactions... new or old... are IMO "supplemental" to cash... and should be looked at and considered as such.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many are failing to see (especially the new generation) many simple short and long term things about all this new payment tech they have embraced.
Convenient yes... lazy perhaps... but better its not.
Nor will it ever be.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I took my wife out to dinner at a restaurant and paid cash. I needed change for a tip. It was hard to believe but nobody had change. I wasn’t going to leave a $20 tip and had to apologize to the waitress for not leaving one. I felt bad but not $20 bad. Even restaurants aren’t using cash anymore.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread