Chevron Beads

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I got out in the fields today, the very few around me could be hunted. Found nothing today.

But I did get a chance to visit a friend close to me who had some nice Native American relics and some early historic items which I will be posting. Many years ago he purchased a number of early historic items from a museum in Montana which was closing.

He is getting up there in years and is downsizing his collection. He has a lot to do in that area.

These are 17 Chevon beads, in amazing condition. Very old but the colors are vibrant for the age.

The earliest chevron beads, made in the 16th century, usually have seven layers, six hand-ground facets on the ends, and 12-pointed stars. From the late 16th century, chevrons were produced with fewer layers, four and six layers became the standard types in the 19th century. These exhibits the typical colors of the Venetian chevron bead: it has six layers of red, white, and blue.

terry_chevrons.jpg

Upvote 10

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I got out in the fields today, the very few around me could be hunted. Found nothing today.

But I did get a chance to visit a friend close to me who had some nice Native American relics and some early historic items which I will be posting. Many years ago he purchased a number of early historic items from a museum in Montana which was closing.

He is getting up there in years and is downsizing his collection. He has a lot to do in that area.

These are 17 Chevon beads, in amazing condition. Very old but the colors are vibrant for the age.

The earliest chevron beads, made in the 16th century, usually have seven layers, six hand-ground facets on the ends, and 12-pointed stars. From the late 16th century, chevrons were produced with fewer layers, four and six layers became the standard types in the 19th century. These exhibits the typical colors of the Venetian chevron bead: it has six layers of red, white, and blue.

View attachment 2073587
I actually collect antique trade beads. I have a few strands of different types. No true Chevrons but I do have a few Rattlesnake beads, Feather beads, Blue Russians and a strand of a type of Chevron but nothing as valuable as the ones you are posting. I have one Bumblebee black and yellow strand mixed with yellow and black Rattlesnake beads. They look really good mixed in with a frame of points. If he is selling the ones posted and you would like a retail of what they might be worth you can send me a PM and I can give you a ball park value. I would need to know the millimeter size of the bead then I will look it up for you. Beautiful strand and rare to.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually collect antique trade beads. I have a few strands of different types. No true Chevrons but I do have a few Rattlesnake beads, Feather beads, Blue Russians and a strand of a type of Chevron but nothing as valuable as the ones you are posting. I have one Bumblebee black and yellow strand mixed with yellow and black Rattlesnake beads. They look really good mixed in with a frame of points. If he is selling the ones posted and you would like a retail of what they might be worth you can send me a PM and I can give you a ball park value. I would need to know the millimeter size of the bead then I will look it up for you. Beautiful strand and rare to.
I'm told by an experienced Dealer/ Collector, that 'Rattlesnake' beads are more properly named 'Roman Inlay.' Are we talkin' about the same style bead? Here's mine:

Attachments

• rattlesnake3.jpg
    rattlesnake3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
  • rattlesnake2.jpg
    rattlesnake2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 15

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Ya got some serious heads there. Whoa.
The yellow and black Bumblebee are very rare I’ve yet to find another. I’ve been looking for a strand of solid black and yellow rattlesnake beads but right now I’m not willing to drop the $ on them. I will wait for a better price. Glad you like

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Hey Dognose
I just looked up the value of your Chevron strand and if he is selling them and they are as old as you think I have an idea what they are worth if you are thinking of buying them.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strung this necklace up around 35 years ago. It is big Chevrons, tiny Chevrons & White hearts. The other strand is older Chevrons, Green Hearts and Rattlesnakes. It is a bit heavy to wear.

Attachments

• IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3732.JPG
    IMG_3732.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 1970s, I heard of a find of whole canes of Chevrons being found in a warehouse in Venice. There were around 3 feet long and had never been cut or polished to make beads. I would love to have a couple dozen of them if real.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions