Cibola ground balance??

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I have one and it is a good machine. I has a preset ground balance. The machine is pretty much turn on and go. In good soil it will go as deep as my Blue Gray but in the heavily mineralized soil it loses depth. For the price though it is a good machine and there are places where I will use it before my Blue Gray. A few weeks ago I was out with a couple guys one had and MXT and the other an f-75 XLT and I dug more with my Cibola than both of them put together. Of course some of it is knowing you machine and a little luck.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks "V",two of my buddies used to use the Blue /Grays,and did very well wit them,but I got them using the M.X.T. now,I have used one for years and like it,but was talking to another friend of mine that is an absolute relic finding animal and he uses the Cibola.He did a little demo for me and I was impressed especially the unreal depth!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
It's surprising how deep those things will go. I've had an old Silver sabre, a silver sabre uMax and the Cibola and I've dug some good things with them. I dug the Texas buckle I have pictured at a really trashy house site with the Silver sabre and, in a spot that had been hunted hard, with my silver sabre uMax I dug a VMM buckle lying edgeways in a bunch of iron and in the same spot a 1799 8 Reales.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I am wanting,something a little different to go back to old high production sites of past to hit again.I often think about the stuff getting masked by iron and the M.X.T.(which I love)but its always good change up.Heck I have went back to old sites I hit with my X.L.T. with the M.X.T. and pulled stuff I should have found before

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know it is,what is it?I have sites I have pounded!!!Repeatedly....and could go there today and get hard hitting signals that there is no way I could have missed before.Is it Temp,barometer,time of day,direction of travel??? :icon_scratch:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
I don't know what it is. Just recently I was out and got a brass civil war spur about 6 inches deep and when I went over it it read loud and there was no doubt it was good. I know for fact I've walked over it before as well as a ton of other people. I think the stuff hides and sometimes we are able to sneak up on it. :laughing7: Really though I don't know exactly what it is.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There you go again like i always said a low to mid range detector will go as deep as a high end detector. Paying $1000.00 to $1500.00 for a detector does not make it any deeper just in the owners mind that's all . for all you pay for is bell's and whistles..............You want deeper get a PI

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Keppy said:
There you go again like i always said a low to mid range detector will go as deep as a high end detector. Paying $1000.00 to $1500.00 for a detector does not make it any deeper just in the owners mind that's all . for all you pay for is bell's and whistles..............You want deeper get a PI

A Cibola is a basic machine without any bell and whistles and books for less than $500.
I still use my old blue gray and can still dig as much and lots of times more than the guys with the newer high dollar machines. mainly because I know that machine and do not depend on it to tell me if a signal is good or not. I can also lots of time hear deeper signals than some of the guys with the newer machines. Again because I know my machine. The thing is the machines work on different frequencies and one will sometimes pick up something better than the other will. Plus a Tesoro will usually pick through the iron better than a whites

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Cibola is a basic machine without any bell and whistles and books for less than $500.
I still use my old blue gray and can still dig as much and lots of times more than the guys with the newer high dollar machines. mainly because I know that machine and do not depend on it to tell me if a signal is good or not. I can also lots of time hear deeper signals than some of the guys with the newer machines. Again because I know my machine. The thing is the machines work on different frequencies and one will sometimes pick up something better than the other will. Plus a Tesoro will usually pick through the iron better than a whites

Exactly!!!! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could have someone install a manual GB on the Cibola, if it didn't void out the warranty.

The Cibola can be hypertuned. ;D

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
You could have someone install a manual GB on the Cibola, if it didn't void out the warranty.

The Cibola can be hypertuned. ;D
I am intrigued now Buckles!Kind of going between the Vaquero and Cibola.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Vayany54...... kuger . buckleboy ... That's right but a lot think the more they pay for a detector the deeper it will go....... that's not true.... it just goes deeper in there minds and dreams but i guess it makes them happy... The only thing wrong with it they put out all these false reports about how deep they found coins with there high end detectors.. my Ace 250 my U Max goes as deep as my Sovereign but i would never give up my Sovereign I just love those Sovereigns been useing them since 1992 . And my Sovereign will go as deep as a E TRac....... But i love those Sovereigns ... Like you said what it comes down to............it is how long you used and how you know your detector.

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 684
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 666
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely,the Cibola is only $340,my M.X.T. is $800.The air test with a 3 cent piece,Cibola picked it up at 24 -36",not so with M.X.T.I know that isnt a true test,and I will never hang up the M.X.T.,just wanting a light "cheap",backup, running on a little different freq. :thumbsup:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
I guess I kind owe Keppy an apology seems like we all think about the same. I'm about like Kuger in that I mainly use my Blue Gray (don't have an MXT) and mostly use my cibola for a backup. It's also a good machine to let a friend ( who wants to come along)use as it is pretty much turn on and go.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you,you have been a great help :thumbsup:

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cibola ground balance MOD

I have posted a free download How to do it on my website. As well as air tests with the stock Cibola.
http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/id13.html

When properly ground balanced the detector will get about 2-4" increase in actual ground hunting, depending upon ground conditions.

I would be very skeptical of anyone telling you they get incredible depth with the Cibola, air or
ground testing. I tried out a bunch of them, from the factory some are hotter than others. I kept the
one that gave an actual air test 1 1/2" deeper...

The Cibola is great on very small gold and silver.

In highly mineralized ground as I had in Georgia, the stock Cibola is a piece of crap, max. depth I got was 3".
To be fair, many other high end machines didn't fair much better.
In better ground the Cibola was average as detectors go, average max depth I got was 8" on a coin. Now with the GB mod, the Cibola is a joy to hunt with. Handles hot ground so much better about a 2-4" depth gain. And hunts deeper in not so hot ground. It is one detector I really liked, especially for tot lots. And its a killer using the Concentric 5.75" coil--if there's something it passes over, you'll hear it.

I wouldn't mind having another one to tinker with.

Just some pictures showing you the small stuff it can find.

Attachments

• cibfindsdec61.jpg
    cibfindsdec61.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 661
  • cibfindsdec62.jpg
    cibfindsdec62.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 622
  • cibfinds118.jpg
    cibfinds118.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 609
  • cibolahunt1.jpg
    cibolahunt1.jpg