Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cibola ground balance MOD

SvenS said:
I have posted a free download How to do it on my website. As well as air tests with the stock Cibola.
http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/id13.html

When properly ground balanced the detector will get about 2-4" increase in actual ground hunting, depending upon ground conditions.

I would be very skeptical of anyone telling you they get incredible depth with the Cibola, air or
ground testing. I tried out a bunch of them, from the factory some are hotter than others. I kept the
one that gave an actual air test 1 1/2" deeper...

The Cibola is great on very small gold and silver.

In highly mineralized ground as I had in Georgia, the stock Cibola is a piece of crap, max. depth I got was 3".
To be fair, many other high end machines didn't fair much better.
In better ground the Cibola was average as detectors go, average max depth I got was 8" on a coin. Now with the GB mod, the Cibola is a joy to hunt with. Handles hot ground so much better about a 2-4" depth gain. And hunts deeper in not so hot ground. It is one detector I really liked, especially for tot lots. And its a killer using the Concentric 5.75" coil--if there's something it passes over, you'll hear it.

I wouldn't mind having another one to tinker with.

Just some pictures showing you the small stuff it can find.
Did you try the Cibola with the big DD coil?These guys are killing me with the depth and I am using the DD Deepscan coil on my M.X.T.?

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)
I am thinking of modding my Cibola. Sven kindly emailed me some additional instructions along with the instructions on his website -Thanks Sven :icon_thumleft:

I can't think of any reason not to mod it except that it voids the warranty. I don't think I will need the warranty anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread