Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war "dog tag"

Hi all. The sunshine finally found upstate NY the last couple of days so I got out for some much needed treasure findin ! Theres a cornfield that surrounds an old homesite that dates to the late 1700's right out back of my house.I got permission last year to search the area and found some nice stuff there last summer. I headed out there yesterday morning.I wasn't feeling to great so I wasn't really consentrating on what I was doing but it was nice to soak up some sunshine and fresh air.First thing I found turned out to be a large flat button with all the silver guilt still intact....that one got me going as it looked like a large silver coin at first ! I then continued to wander around and soon got another signal that I thought would be a button.It turned out to be a medalion with a bust of Washington.I couldn't see it that well and at first thought that it may be a counterfeit coin of some sort.I wandered around and found a few more buttons before heading back home to take a break.I got home and cleaned it up and got a better look at it and noticed that there was writing on the obverse side.I posted it in the "what is it " section here and it was id ed as a civil war id tag...thanks again y'all ! :thumbsup:

The site were I found this has a well known history and this is a very small town so I think I can find out who this belonged to.On the tag the name of the soldier is missing but there are some letters still visible.If I cant find what I need on line I plan on taking it to the local historian and go from there.....but first I'm going back out back ! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,992
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,459
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 4,482
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Civil war "dog tag"

Just wanted to say thanks to PBK for the info ! it looks like the letter to the left is a G or C and the next letters are W....then possibly a letter but it looks like a hole was drilled through that area....then after that I can make out a TA....so George W Taylor is a possibility. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,861

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kieser sousa/rip said:
Just wanted to say thanks to PBK for the info ! it looks like the letter to the left is a G or C and the next letters are W....then possibly a letter but it looks like a hole was drilled through that area....then after that I can make out a TA....so George W Taylor is a possibility. :thumbsup:

:headbang:

Added possibility that Taylor chose the Washington token for his ID disc because he was named after him.

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
kieser sousa/rip said:

:headbang:

Added possibility that Taylor chose the Washington token for his ID disc because he was named after him.

Oh yeah.....I didn't think of that.Now I need to see if GW Taylor had a connection to the property. Thanks BB.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

super find there..hope the rest of the years is as good.. :notworthy:

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello2: Anytime you can find a piece of history that is personalized, you've struck GOLD in my book. :headbang: :thumbsup: keep up the good search!

Masonlid

Mar 14, 2005
good ole Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max

I would think Washington would represent the great union for which the north was fighting for(since he fought for it yrs earlier).

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is a great find and a great story! Any updates on locating the soldier and/or his family?

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on a well deserved banner find!! Can't wait to hear more!

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks y'all. I havent been able to find any more info but havent given up yet......I will update when or if I find anything else.HH !

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably need to check the old land records if you havent done so. Good luck and great banner piece

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now that's something I would love to dig! congrats...should be up on the banner!

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac

Those are super RARE....congradulations and you have my banner vote!! I lost one by a few hours on craigslist for a 100 bucks that was mint...I still wake up shaking over that loss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions