Civil War Era Field Glasses and a connection to two Historical Characters!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is a bit of a throwback to before I was a member of TNet: It was august 2018 and there was a spot down the street from my house that I have always been interested in. In this area there was a section of land that was always overgrown with plant life so thick that detecting was not really feasible. I found a seated dime nearby so I had a hunch that the area was old. On that trip I noticed that the area had been totally clear cut making detecting a go. It was important to get in there quickly because the plants were growing at lightspeed! My best detecting buddy and I went to give it a try on a super hot day after work. It might have been in the 90's but the sun was past it's peak and treasure was calling. On that first trip my buddy found a beat up copper disk that was so caked in dirt it was unidentifiable. Looked like a colonial copper to us so it was now on! Let's find this treasure. He went on to find a couple mercs and several Indian head pennies which was encouraging but as the day wore on I started to get really frustrated that I wasn't finding anything. There was a lone tree in the field that my buddy pointed out as being covered in poison ivy. I wasn't too concerned about it. I later came down with the worst poison ivy I've ever had! The pictures would probably be taken down from TNet as too graphic. I will spare you all. Eventually I squeezed a couple silver Rosies and a war nickel out of the field. A three silver day is a great success for me but those three coins don't capture my imagination too much. The day ended and I left wanting those colonial coins. I was itching for weeks and ended up going camping that weekend in Maine on an island where there were more bugs than I've ever seen ever... and yes they loved me! It was a tough weekend.

The colonial copper turned out to be U.S. 2 cent piece... still a great find but it left the veracity of it being a colonial era site in question. I went back a few weeks later in the pouring rain hoping to find something. The poison Ivy wasn't going to stop me that easily! Although it had been hot with very little rain the field was quickly filling in. This would probably be the last possible time I could detect it. I gave it a mighty effort slogging around up and down the hill but didn't find much. After a couple hours I was ready to call it quits. I swept my coil over an area and got a pretty loud signal. It was probably more trash but I gave it a dig. It was not too deep but I pulled out a pair of metal field glasses. They were heavily coated in dirt and I put them in my pouch and left disappointed. A few days later I took a hose and sprayed the dirt off the relic to reveal some embossed writing around the eye piece. It said F.W. Lincoln and Co. Boston, and the glass was intact (only slightly chipped on one lens) which is a small miracle! Okay this now had my interest because I live in Boston.... After some quick research I learned that Frederick W. Lincoln was the grandson of the famous Paul Revere! He was one year old when Revere died so I am thinking they probably met each other…. though F.W. probably didn't remember meeting grampa Paul. In 1839 he started a company that made nautical and surveying optical devices. The company was sold in 1883 and the name was changed, so that means the glasses were produced during that time period. F.W. Lincoln was also a somewhat (though lost to history character) famous and important player in Boston's history. He was mayor of Boston from 1857-1864. Being a civil war mayor must have been a stressful job! He went on to live until 1898 but I couldn't find out anything else about him. He's buried in a local cemetery so I hope to find his gravesite. This find quickly became one of my favorites. It even has some of the original black paint on it. One of the best / most interesting relics I have found! I asked Mark Parker from W and E what he thought and if we could narrow down the dates but he wasn't able to do so he added that they actually could have be made in Europe and marked with the F.W. brand name as they are similar to European styles at the times. He said they could have been sold as surplus long after they were made but it might not be possible to figure out. At this point more research needs to be done.

I toothpicked the dirt off to show you what you see here. I am unsure what I could do with these to display them. A) leave as is B) get them restored to be shiny brass (not sure that's even possible) C) cover in museum wax and call it a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'd be interested in opinions on what to do to conserve these. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Attachments

• IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    969 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6266.JPG
    IMG_6266.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 32

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !!! Congrats!!! Awesome research!!! Thank You!!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that is cool... i would clean them, i dont think patina will help value with that type of relic but im no expert

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool detecting find , I wish they could talk.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a banner in my book great story Ive never got poison ivy but would take it for all those cool finds. I have stepped on a bee hive lol

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow very cool! Love the way they look! If they were mine I would leave them that way. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love binoculars and consider yours a fantastic find.

As mentioned above, I would leave them exactly as they are.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, xcopperstax...and an even better backstory! Just as others have said, they look just fine as is. ..enjoy! Ddf.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on one cool piece of Saved CW History. As others have stated, I would also vote to leave them be. They will display great just as they are. Super find and Thanks for sharing this with us.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find that I would leave just as is.

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are superb! I'll take the poison ivy if you give me the glasses! Lol, congrats!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them just the way they are. I enjoyed the story behind them. If it were me, I would print it and enclose it with the glasses.

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is a bit of a throwback to before I was a member of TNet: It was august 2018 and there was a spot down the street from my house that I have always been interested in. In this area there was a section of land that was always overgrown with plant life so thick that detecting was not really feasible. I found a seated dime nearby so I had a hunch that the area was old. On that trip I noticed that the area had been totally clear cut making detecting a go. It was important to get in there quickly because the plants were growing at lightspeed! My best detecting buddy and I went to give it a try on a super hot day after work. It might have been in the 90's but the sun was past it's peak and treasure was calling. On that first trip my buddy found a beat up copper disk that was so caked in dirt it was unidentifiable. Looked like a colonial copper to us so it was now on! Let's find this treasure. He went on to find a couple mercs and several Indian head pennies which was encouraging but as the day wore on I started to get really frustrated that I wasn't finding anything. There was a lone tree in the field that my buddy pointed out as being covered in poison ivy. I wasn't too concerned about it. I later came down with the worst poison ivy I've ever had! The pictures would probably be taken down from TNet as too graphic. I will spare you all. Eventually I squeezed a couple silver Rosies and a war nickel out of the field. A three silver day is a great success for me but those three coins don't capture my imagination too much. The day ended and I left wanting those colonial coins. I was itching for weeks and ended up going camping that weekend in Maine on an island where there were more bugs than I've ever seen ever... and yes they loved me! It was a tough weekend.

The colonial copper turned out to be U.S. 2 cent piece... still a great find but it left the veracity of it being a colonial era site in question. I went back a few weeks later in the pouring rain hoping to find something. The poison Ivy wasn't going to stop me that easily! Although it had been hot with very little rain the field was quickly filling in. This would probably be the last possible time I could detect it. I gave it a mighty effort slogging around up and down the hill but didn't find much. After a couple hours I was ready to call it quits. I swept my coil over an area and got a pretty loud signal. It was probably more trash but I gave it a dig. It was not too deep but I pulled out a pair of metal field glasses. They were heavily coated in dirt and I put them in my pouch and left disappointed. A few days later I took a hose and sprayed the dirt off the relic to reveal some embossed writing around the eye piece. It said F.W. Lincoln and Co. Boston, and the glass was intact (only slightly chipped on one lens) which is a small miracle! Okay this now had my interest because I live in Boston.... After some quick research I learned that Frederick W. Lincoln was the grandson of the famous Paul Revere! He was one year old when Revere died so I am thinking they probably met each other…. though F.W. probably didn't remember meeting grampa Paul. In 1839 he started a company that made nautical and surveying optical devices. The company was sold in 1883 and the name was changed, so that means the glasses were produced during that time period. F.W. Lincoln was also a somewhat (though lost to history character) famous and important player in Boston's history. He was mayor of Boston from 1857-1864. Being a civil war mayor must have been a stressful job! He went on to live until 1898 but I couldn't find out anything else about him. He's buried in a local cemetery so I hope to find his gravesite. This find quickly became one of my favorites. It even has some of the original black paint on it. One of the best / most interesting relics I have found! I asked Mark Parker from W and E what he thought and if we could narrow down the dates but he wasn't able to do so he added that they actually could have be made in Europe and marked with the F.W. brand name as they are similar to European styles at the times. He said they could have been sold as surplus long after they were made but it might not be possible to figure out. At this point more research needs to be done.

I toothpicked the dirt off to show you what you see here. I am unsure what I could do with these to display them. A) leave as is B) get them restored to be shiny brass (not sure that's even possible) C) cover in museum wax and call it a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'd be interested in opinions on what to do to conserve these. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Seeing those field glasses makes me wonder if the piece I found is that old. Here is a link to the thread, it's the last picture in my opening post.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576575-ticks-chased-me-out-woods.html

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that’s a real nice save. They look great just the way they are. Nice story along with the find. Congrats

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing those field glasses makes me wonder if the piece I found is that old. Here is a link to the thread, it's the last picture in my opening post.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576575-ticks-chased-me-out-woods.html

Oldhead looking at your pictures that is a pretty good guess at what those are. The piece looks too heavy to be for eyeglasses as they would be pretty uncomfortable. As to the age I have no idea but if you look at a bunch of field glasses you might be able to narrow it down. I'd look up civil war field glasses image and see what comes up. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread