CIVIL WAR FIREARM RECOVERED..(Updated w/ back pic)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...or at least part of one. :wink: :wink:

Howdy all my Tnetter friends. Well, I just got back home from Northern Virgina and the "DIV Diggin In Virginia" Hunt and let me tell you it was an unbelievably awesome time. This hunt was very well organized from top to bottom and put us on some pretty good ground right on Brandy Rock where the Battle of Brandy Station was fought. The mountains and scenery were great and it was like metal detecting in the clouds. The ground was TOUGH though. It was very heavily mineralized and therefore HOT as fire! Almost all the brass that I dug came up as Iron on the MXT and this was common to all the relic hunters in the field. I had a guy right next to me dig a US Buckle and he said that he was just about to walk past it because it gave him a trashy "iron" signal. That goes to show...DIG EVERYTHING :)
The finds were pretty good including some Confederate buttons, some plates, etc. This is a portion of my takes below:

-Spencer lock plate and hammer w/ guts- This was my centerpiece find and I tell you it was a thrill digging it up. To my knowledge there were no others dug on this hunt so it was nice to find. The photographer saw me pull it out and asked right away if he could take a picture of it...so it might end up in a magazine. I haven't cleaned it up yet but if you look, it has either a shield or "U.S." stamped in the center. This and the Sharps, were the most favored and used carbines of the Civil War. MD pics 181.jpg

-Belt Keeper--This was a really great signal and the guy in front of me just walked right over it with his detector. It has a really nice green patina on it.

-Ring Tail Sharps--This was found on a hill where alot of the Confederate relics came from. It is in really good shape as it is a dropped bullet.

-J Hook This find was dug out of a trash/fire pit. 5 of these along with 3 Eagle Buttons, a New York Button, and several Pewter pants buttons were dug out of this hole.

-Iron Buckles--These are common on most Civil War sights. Since we were hunting the sight of the biggest cavalry battle in the western hemisphere as well as a winter camp, you would expect to find alot of these..And we did

-Saber Hilt--The round piece all the way to the right is solid brass and after observation by myself and some other old timers it was said by quite a few and I have to say I think it the case, that this is the end of a saber. If you look on the other side that isnt pictured, you will see where it connected to the main shaft of the hilt and on the side, it would have connected to the guard.

I have some more cool relics than this to post but my batteries died so I will have to get to them tomorrow. I hope ya'll like the trigger assembly as much as I did and look forward to sharing the rest of the finds with you tomorrow! HH

Attachments

• MD pics 182.jpg
    MD pics 182.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 499
  • MD pics 172.jpg
    MD pics 172.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,391
  • MD pics 171.jpg
    MD pics 171.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,406
  • JOSHHAMMER.jpg
    JOSHHAMMER.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,183
  • MD pics 181.jpg
    MD pics 181.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 511
  • MD pics 182.jpg
    MD pics 182.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Re: FIREARM RECOVERED..

Congrats on the great CW finds!, and on being able to attend a DIV.......I've never been.

Don't forget to post the rest of your finds!!

Roger

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice relics.
If you know, what is the hooked end object. I found one this weekend.

Ken

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very ,very cool digs! Man if I ever get back down south I am gonna sign up for one of those hunts ! I bet there were some good treasure hunting stories flowing! What fun. :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic finds. Sounds like everyone had a good time at the hunt. Looking forward to seeing the other finds too.

:wink: RR

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Wow! GREAT bunch of relics!! I especially like firearm parts, and chunks of the scarcer rifles are outstanding.

It's fantastic that your group could hunt that battle site. I think a relative from another branch of my surname family was in a Union unit in that action.
I'll have to find my genealogy books now and check.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh,
Some nice finds. Congrats on the trigger assembly! I know you've been waiting for that hunt, and it sounds like it was a great time.
Looking forward to seeing your other finds too. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is so awesome that you got to hunt in the DIV, Senti! 8) And those finds are fantastic! I know you had a super time!!

Congrats!! Nana :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
Some nice finds. Congrats on the trigger assembly! I know you've been waiting for that hunt, and it sounds like it was a great time.
Looking forward to seeing your other finds too. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

This is a site that shows another Belt Keeper except the one I found still has ALL FOUR hooks AND a piece of lead stuck inbetween it on the right side (this one doesnt)... Take a look and see if you can see it :wink: :wink:. the pic is good as well:

BeltKeeper.jpg
Here is a nice condition excavated US Belt Keeper ! It has a good
light green patina and no damage. Reverse side also in very good
shape with no cracks or breaks. Recovered Petersburg, Virginia

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Re: CIVIL WAR FIREARM RECOVERED..

Awesome finds Sentinel! 8) Congrats on the DIV hunt. Now my mouth is really watering. But knowing the GNRS hunt is still 5 months away, :(.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoney56 said:
Awesome finds Sentinel! 8) Congrats on the DIV hunt. Now my mouth is really watering. But knowing the GNRS hunt is still 5 months away, :(.

Hey Stoney, the GNRS Hunt is NO JOKE EITHER!!! I will be trying to get into the next one also! They do a really nice job on there hunts too!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bridge End Farm said:
I would be drooling over a fine like that nice discovery :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, I had several people that said that they would rather have the Trigger assembly that a Confederate button and that is from diehards like me....Its just that the assembly is hard to find these days, especially in 100% shape with all the inside guts.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana40 said:
That is so awesome that you got to hunt in the DIV, Senti! 8) And those finds are fantastic! I know you had a super time!!

Congrats!! Nana :wink:

Thank you you sweetie pie! You have earned your right to be in TNETS little Civil War qlique :wink: :wink: :D :D
Anyone who finds two Starburst NC State Buttons has that right!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!!!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Hey Sentinel, lets swing a coil sometime. I will carry your detector. :icon_jokercolor:

Seriously.....good job brother....you really find the goods. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Baldingboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread