🥇 BANNER Civil War Relic Hunting at its Finest: A GRAND SLAM Of A Site!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VIRGIN CIVIL WAR CAMPSITE

Hey Guys :hello:, well I must say, sites like this don't come along too often. This site has everything that you could ask for in a Virgin Civil War site and ALOT

of it: Plates, Buttons, Bullets, Accoutrements; A GRAND SLAM! The area is known to me and I've dug alot of good stuff from sites near this one. This was private property and it just

so happened that I was able to gain permission as soon as it was opened up and realized that I was on a stellar site when I swept the coil and couldn't make a single sweep without

digging 5 or 6 Civil War Bullets everytime! Within 20 minutes of the first day I had nearly 40 dropped Minies in the pouch but it was almost dark so I decided to come back the next

day. The next afternoon, the very first signal I dug as soon as I walked on the site was a nice 2 Piece Muffin Button :headbang: The very next signal was another button, this one

Loaded with Gilt, I thought that it would be and Eagle "I" or Eagle "A" but when I lightly brushed away the dirt, a big, Beautiful "R" for Riflemens was staring back up at me! :hello2: A

few moments later, I got a good Silver Signal and popped out an 1857 Seated Dime, walked it to the truck and came back and picked up the detector to finish the sweep and BOOM,

another Silver signal; I poppedthe plug and sawanother silver disc the size of a Dime. I was thinking "Come on Be another Seated" even though I was not holding my breath. When I

removed enough dirt, I saw ANOTHER Seated Lady: 2 Seateds in one Swing. About 20 more minutes go by and I got a nice Brass Signal:

There's more. The next day was the start of the weekend and I invited my buddy Roger aka Getty down from Maryland to dig. He ended up digging many firsts including a Fatty Indian,

TentTensioner, Dandy Button with alot of Gilt and many nice buttons AND.....HIS VERY FIRST U.S. Plate!! :headbang: :headbang: It was a pleasure watching the excitement in his look

and seeing his hands shaking from the adrenaline and excitement of the moment. Congrats Rog on your first U.S. Plate buddy! This was a STELLAR hunt All Day my friend
! :icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:

I decided to take some more photos of some of the relics as I dug them up. Here's a few fresh out of the hole:

Regulation 1851 Officers Eagle Sword Belt Plate
Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

This photo shows a Williams Cleaner, an Eagle "I" Coat Button, and a Minie that were ALL 3 in the same hole. Roger witnessed me digging them because I kept telling him "ANOTHER signal in the hole" :laughing9: In addition, it shows one of the Seateds still in the dirt clump, a bullet and another Seated that were in the same hole together and a pile of the buttons from the First Day

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

FRESH FROM THE POUCH, DAY ONE'S FINDS (plus the bullets from the 20 mins. the day before):

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

PHOTOS OF ALL THE DAYS' FINDS CLEANED: (Plate still has some dirt clumped on the face, haven't finished cleaning all the way)

BULLETS: The Final Count Up to This Point is 72

Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Eagle "R" and Carved Minie
6899709556_b5154b2f98_c.jpg

This bullet shows the Southern soldiers were firing back at them. One of the only Enfields I found at this site:
7045803349_52a1e30e57_c.jpg

BUTTONS
7022696775_989ab871b6_b.jpg

COINS
6899706596_207e6fb2f5_b.jpg

PLATES, BULLETS, BUTTONS, ACCOUTREMENTS

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

Virgin CW Site 13.jpg

LINK TO SECOND PART OF THE HUNT: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,424645.msg3028340.html#msg3028340

This Site typifies the finest that a Virgin Site has to offer and shows that there's still ALOT of stuff out there to be found! Thanks For Looking :hello: :occasion14:

Attachments

• Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    411 KB · Views: 9,496
  • Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7,460
  • Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7,384
  • Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 6,983
  • Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7,114
Last edited:
Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Your descriptions and photo skills are perfect for a major magazine article, so I hope you will submit an article soon! Though you may be waiting first for more excellent finds from that field. I don't always look at civil war posts because it makes me mourn deeply for those who lost their lives, but I'm very glad I looked at your post. Walking through a small city's cemetery of civil war dead on one of my recent trips to Virginia brought me again to the reality of those young and not-so-young men who lost their lives. Your research and work have paid off for you, and I think you've helped ensure that these men on both sides whose lives were cut short are not forgotten! Maybe someday we humans will learn to live peacefully on our planet. Andi

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
It's great to see you got the Virgin grounds!
Congratulations on a great assortment of well deserved and Beautiful (those buttons & Plate :o )
recoveries :hello2:
I'm a bit behind the times here, Those finds look great up top! Awesome Plunder :D

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Outstanding finds/recoveries. You make me want to go to te drilling ground I know of and start some serious detecting.

I was wondering if you know what the little item in the center is. Looks like a charm and maybe not contemporary to the site? Maybe a bit of gold for your troubles......

Keep that digger in the dirt!

Attachments

• Virgin_CW_Site_11.jpg
    Virgin_CW_Site_11.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 6,167

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just unreal.

Congratulations on the banner and the site.

You are saving history.

This is the best hobby in the whole world.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
absolutely amazing. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Great pictures, thanks so much for taking so many and really showcasing your finds for us to enjoy!

Thanks Goes4ever, I really appreciate it, words like yours make it all worth it!

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
WOW JOSH! a life times of finds all at once! congrats on the banner!so well deserved! hard work,research and as usual it pays off for you! love the leather X as the back drop in that one pic!

Thanks so much man, Congratulations to your Banner post as well, those are some terrific Coppers! That picture, the "leather X" was one of my favorite too, it came out really well. THanks again Brutha! :headbang:

Woodland Detectors said:
Congrats on yet another well deserved banner Josh! :notworthy:

Mike, thanks man, and I'll see you soon buddy! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

blindpig said:
{Sentinal} ,.. Thank you ,. really enjoyed this post , a fine presentation of your "stellar fine" . Read nice , .some fine pic's and a few youtubes to boot ,.. :thumbsup: !!

Well,. hope there's a few more stellar fines coming your way ,... look'n forward to them ,. Blindpig

Thanks BlindPig, posts like yours make my day. Yes there still a few finds left to be had :icon_thumleft: :wink:

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the site! I can't imagine how much fun it was to dig all of those goodies in one place!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wholly CRAP !! :o

This is so amazing, I had to comment... :icon_thumleft:

Congratulations on the site, the finds and the Banner !!! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
Sorry I'm late to this post, but e been hunting at sea for three days ...... :-\
Banner was going to vote, although I have gone Congratulations Josh ..... besides better old area to live in the U.S. , you're an artist and design of the post is very good! :thumbsup:

Hey Hispan, my European pisan, thanks buddy, I wanted it to look nice, I think I suceeded. Thanks man, can't wait to see some more of that Spanish Treasure and relics :occasion14:

Briz06 said:
Unbelieveable!! :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: :notworthy: Im speechless! ... Congratulations on all the fantastic finds and the well deserved banner! :icon_thumleft:
:icon_thumleft: :wink:

ivan salis said:
good research-- top notch thinking --great finds
Ivan, thanks buddy, like I said, if you're ever down this way, look me up :wink:

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Congratulations on making the BANNER Josh! :notworthy:

You certainly deserve it with those finds man! :thumbsup:

Dave
Dave, thanks man. Send me some pics of that ring! :occasion14:

g-olden years said:
Your descriptions and photo skills are perfect for a major magazine article, so I hope you will submit an article soon! Though you may be waiting first for more excellent finds from that field. I don't always look at civil war posts because it makes me mourn deeply for those who lost their lives, but I'm very glad I looked at your post. Walking through a small city's cemetery of civil war dead on one of my recent trips to Virginia brought me again to the reality of those young and not-so-young men who lost their lives. Your research and work have paid off for you, and I think you've helped ensure that these men on both sides whose lives were cut short are not forgotten! Maybe someday we humans will learn to live peacefully on our planet. Andi
Andi, thanks so much for the incredibly nice compliment my friend. I know, I find myself daydreaming often about the Civil War and the boys in the blue and gray and when I read detailed accounts of the bloody action it makes me cringe sometimes at what they had to endure. I'm planning on doing an article about this site and other sites in general, I've already got a buddy who owns a reputable relic magazine whos been at me to write an article on all my finds for sometime now. Again, thanks for the prodigious compliment my friend!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I cant help but stare in complete awe man :o

There should be a finds of the decade and this should be in it :icon_sunny:

Just think of the history you saved there :icon_scratch:

This is definately an Eastern Western article for sure.

Blaze

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
It's great to see you got the Virgin grounds!
Congratulations on a great assortment of well deserved and Beautiful (those buttons & Plate :o )
recoveries :hello2:
I'm a bit behind the times here, Those finds look great up top! Awesome Plunder :D

Thanks Herbie :icon_thumleft:

DMN said:
Outstanding finds/recoveries. You make me want to go to te drilling ground I know of and start some serious detecting.

I was wondering if you know what the little item in the center is. Looks like a charm and maybe not contemporary to the site? Maybe a bit of gold for your troubles......

Keep that digger in the dirt!

I'm not sure what it is, I do believe its part of a charm though as you said as it has two broken loops on either end, it also looks to have an "SJ" in the middle probably for Saint John as well as a white dove, a symbol synonymous with peace and Christ. The back is deep green brass...not sure if its period or a later drop...it was mixed in their but it may be alittle later dated.

Baggins said:
Simply an amazing hunt!! Would love to hit a site a quarter that good! Congrats on the banner!

Baggins

Thank you Baggins. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Fantastic Banner Hunt, the Belt Plate is Fantastic :headbang: I have to say that those huge lead bullets must have caused some terrifying injuries on the field of Battle :-\

But it looks like the season is of to a fantastic start, no doubt Jeff will be joining in soon :notworthy:

Colin :)

SouthJerseyRyan

Jul 15, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 (10x14 Excelerator Coil) Garrett Pro-Pointer
Beautiful finds, I'm partial to the buttons myself. Seems like people back then had just as trouble keeping track of them as I do!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AWESOME!!!!!! Way to go Josh. Congrats on the Banner finds. I have not hunted much since July and I just moved to the Tri City area of Tennessee. Closer to DIV. WOO HOO!!!! Take care my friend and we will see you in November.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You always find killer stuff, Josh! Keep up the great hunting! :headbang: I have a feeling that you will be popping Colonial stuff at this site as well. ;D

Kirk

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLEY COW, SENTI! :o

yerdabomb.gif