Civil War Relics and a nice Jewelry Surprise!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
We dug a few three ringers, a couple .69s and 2 eagle buttons... in a completely random spot I dug this flower brooch. It almost went in the junk box since it was so dark and had a ton of rust stuck to it. I happened to look at the reverse and saw the "Sterling" mark... and it has gold post on what turned out to be an opal!! I took it to some Jeweler friends and they checked it out... they are going to clean it, replace the clasp on the back and said it should go for $300 to $400.. guess the V3i is starting to pay for itself.. even though I bought it with the proceeds from a ring I sold last year!! Hmm.. I guess I have he down payment on my next machine.. the new TDI version maybe?? All in all... a good day!

MB

Attachments

• DSCN4777.JPG
    DSCN4777.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN4781.JPG
    DSCN4781.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking brooch MonkeyBoy! :notworthy:
Looks to be 1940's or 50's maybe? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Antiquarian said:
Great looking brooch MonkeyBoy! :notworthy:
Looks to be 1940's or 50's maybe? :icon_scratch:

They seem to think closer to 1900?? and with the trash around it.. maybe but it's hard to tell. Honestly.. Jewelry isn't my thing sooo 1/4 of a TDI works for me. ;-)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the opal brooch and lead MB!

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Wow MonkeyBoy, that is pretty darn cool guy! did they say why it has rust on it? was it stuck to some when you dug it? can you post a close up after they clean it please, nice work and HH!

Chuck.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Tattooguy67 said:
Wow MonkeyBoy, that is pretty darn cool guy! did they say why it has rust on it? was it stuck to some when you dug it? can you post a close up after they clean it please, nice work and HH!

Chuck.

There was some trash in the hole with it.. looked like rusted away roof tin to me but there was not that much of it. I picked some off the front and back. They will e done after Christmas.... they are swamped and it's a freebie for me... ;-) but I'll post more pics then..

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread