RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,

I'm new to this site and I think it's great.

I'm more into Civil War relics than coins so I've decided to post a few finds from the Third Battle of Winchester that were recently unearthed.

Some various bullets, buttons, and other stuff. Two of the photos are duplicates, I'm still learning about my camera.

I've noticed a few people in the Winchester area on this site. We'll have to get together and dig a few things up.

Later

Attachments

• third_bullets.jpg
    third_bullets.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 721
  • third_misc.jpg
    third_misc.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 695
  • third_misc2.jpg
    third_misc2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, welcome and HH

jimmy

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice civil war collection. Welcome to the forum also. Good place to be.

HH Jer

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum!
Please keep posting your finds. I don't live in a Civil War area, but love to see these historical artifacts.
Maybe you can assist myself and others on the forum identifying finds.

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll keep posting pics and I'll try to identify whatever I can.

Thanks for the replies.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
great collection....over what period of time did you find them all?

I get up that way often would love to go out with you. As a matter of fact I think I may be up that way next week, have to check schedulae.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
looks like a few of those bullets could have hit thier mark..........kinda eerie isnt it.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like to see historic Relics being posted......Kool.........Welcome to the forum,and Please keep posting those finds........Hear that Beep ?....... Digga Deep..........!

OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vrent - These relics were found over a 2 week period. A few hours in the evening on weekdays and half the night in some cases. Another dedicated relic hunter found over a hundred bullets and 2 badly damaged US buckles that were damaged from heavy machinery. I'm jealous of the buckles but I'd rather see someone else find them than have them end up under a parking lot.

YES, hollowpointred, some of these bullets ruined someone's day. I'd like to find the expensive stuff but the bullets tell the tales. You have to respect a man who walked into a battle with these big chunks of lead flying at them!!! Actually, you have to respect ANY person who has done that or is doing it right now.

Pepperpump, I've been cleaning pulltabs and shotgun shells from fields and woods for about 4 years. I use a Garrett GTA 1000 that was given to me by my uncle. It is getting a little old now so I've purchased a new Garrett GTP 1350 to take it's place. I would like to dig a bit deeper.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Rocky, that's some great historical finds. I think that finding items of historical interest is just as exciting as finding "treasure". It's treasure of a different sort. I didn't buy my metal detector to try to strike it rich, I bought mine primarily because of my interest in archeology. Don't get me wrong, I would love to find a big cache of gold, but I would be thrilled to find thjose relics from the American Civil War.
Last night, I was digging at a sight that has some old ruins, and I found an old fire pit with some burned elk antlers. Given that the Irish elk has been extinct on our island for over 500 years, I think it was a very interesting discovery. I only found this because there was a bottle cap about 1" down which set off my detector, and something told me to keep digging. Keep digging yourself.

Cheers!

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
that's great for 2 weeks....you will find a buckle or 2 I am sure...I have only found one civil war bullet from Trevalian Station near Gordonsville and a piece of an artillery shell....I travel around driving a tractor trailer and hunt when I get a few free minutes, but alot of the time I am in some really glamorous spots :o I live done Myrtle beach, but there are not many civil war sites in the area...when I do get to an area I want to hunt it is hard alot of the time to find a place to park and a lot of people frown upon parking in front of their houses and knocking on their doors to seek permission...if you can direct me to any sites I could hunt up there I would appreciate it...email me

don't worry your buckle is out there

HH
Vrent

F

Floater

Very Nice Finds RockyDig. Some of those bullets look brand new like they fell out of a pouch or sack before they were used. Nice buttons too. You will find your buckle I'm sure. Welcome and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread