RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,

I'm new to this site and I think it's great.

I'm more into Civil War relics than coins so I've decided to post a few finds from the Third Battle of Winchester that were recently unearthed.

Some various bullets, buttons, and other stuff. Two of the photos are duplicates, I'm still learning about my camera.

I've noticed a few people in the Winchester area on this site. We'll have to get together and dig a few things up.

Later

Attachments

• third_bullets.jpg
    third_bullets.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 721
  • third_misc.jpg
    third_misc.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 695
  • third_misc2.jpg
    third_misc2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 672
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RockyDig

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the board, RockyDig!

Great photos! Keep them coming!

W

wcfl

Very nice finds!

My father-in-law studies the Civil War. We're visiting our in-laws in north Georgia. When I mentioned Winchester, he said it's very fertile because it changed hands 72 times.

I'm a newbie collector and interested in relics as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to show him my finds in the future. In the meantime, I'm showing him the pictures. Hehe

Unfortunately, I left my detector in Florida, so it doesn't do me any good NOW. :-\

Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently reading Newt Gingrich's book Gettysburg. A great book and lots of interesting perspectives from both sides of the battle. I realize a lot of it is fiction, but you almost feel like you are there. Reading about artillery and they talk of canister and grape shot. What's the difference? Any of you buffs know? I know grape shot was a load of lead balls, but what is canister? Inquiring minds want to know! JIM

xxboone69xx

Greenie
Jul 8, 2005
Massachusetts
Jim,
FYI
Canister was a cylinder filled with balls packed in sawdust; when the gun was fired, the cylinder disintegrated and the balls fanned out as if from a giant shotgun. Grape shot was a stack of larger balls, typically held togther by iron plates and large bolts.

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Welcome Rocky. Congrats on the finds. I am thinking of coming out that way (from Sterling) and would love to search with some others from the area sometime.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Nice finds!! I would love to get out to a civil war site sometime...

I wonder if the 1891 penny was lost by someone who went back in time to fight in the CW, or was lost later on...?

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum ! That looks like a nice collection of artifacts you have. Good Luck in the future !

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread