Civil War Token

Bottles2Buttons

May 7, 2022
I'm so excited for this find, I thought it was an old coin at first, I did a bit of research. During the Civil War, there were no metallic coins of any denomination in circulation. Tradesmen were thus forced to issue a medium that would save commerce. Many of these tokens depicted patriotic subjects. The irresponsible nature of these tokens forced Congress to pass an act in 1864, forbidding private individuals to issue any form of money. The one I just found is dated 1863. I also found a butt plate to a musket rifle from the civil war, wow those rifle's were heavy!

Attachments

• IMG_20230508_135644528.jpg
    IMG_20230508_135644528.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20230508_135637628_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230508_135637628_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230508_135616772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230508_135616772_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230508_134704253.jpg
    IMG_20230508_134704253.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230506_205853378_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230506_205853378_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230506_205815431.jpg
    IMG_20230506_205815431.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 24

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A token loaded with history:
"The Tokens of the Boutwells of Troy, New York," The Numismatist, April 1952 notes: "Any collector of United States tokens, no matter what field he specializes in, at one time or another has come across the issues of the Boutwells of Troy, New York. Oliver Boutwell began business as a baker at 314 River Street, Troy, in 1831. In 1833 he moved to 7 Grand Division Street, and in 1836 he admitted his brother, Phardice, to partnership. The following year Oliver withdrew, and in 1837 established himself as a miller near 'Sloop Lock,' continuing alone until after the Civil War. The firm, known as O. Boutwell & Son, were millers and dealers in flour, wheat, rye, oats, and corn. A two-story mill was erected at the 'Sloop Lock' in 1837 by Oliver Boutwell when he first engaged in his business. One of the mills later erected by this firm burned on August 4, 1890, and was replaced by a four-story mill built of brick. In 1866, Charles A. Boutwell became associated with his father under the name of O. Boutwell and Son. Now, as to the token issued by this company, the first one issued was in 1835, during the Hard Times period, by O. & P. Boutwell, Bakers and Confectioners. Later, during the Civil War, another extensive issue was put out by Oliver Boutwell, Miller, Troy, New York. There are several varieties of these tokens and many very slight die variations. They were issued extensively in a large part of the Eastern United States, probably close to 1 or 2 hundred thousands of these tokens must have been issued. They are quite commonly seen, especially in Very Fine condition. Of the one variety of the Boutwell card, there were 29 die varieties said to be known by Hetrich & Guttag. There is another variety which has on the reverse, 'redeemed in bills at my office.' The reason for the many die varieties on these tokens is that many dies were used, and many of them were probably poorly cut, and cracked after several hundred strikings. " Source: Stack's : New York, Troy. 1863 Oliver Boutwell. Miller. F-890B-12b. Fuld Rarity-7. EF-40 (AN70302660)
Don in SoCal.....

OP
OP
Bottles2Buttons

Bottles2Buttons

May 7, 2022
A token loaded with history:
"The Tokens of the Boutwells of Troy, New York," The Numismatist, April 1952 notes: "Any collector of United States tokens, no matter what field he specializes in, at one time or another has come across the issues of the Boutwells of Troy, New York. Oliver Boutwell began business as a baker at 314 River Street, Troy, in 1831. In 1833 he moved to 7 Grand Division Street, and in 1836 he admitted his brother, Phardice, to partnership. The following year Oliver withdrew, and in 1837 established himself as a miller near 'Sloop Lock,' continuing alone until after the Civil War. The firm, known as O. Boutwell & Son, were millers and dealers in flour, wheat, rye, oats, and corn. A two-story mill was erected at the 'Sloop Lock' in 1837 by Oliver Boutwell when he first engaged in his business. One of the mills later erected by this firm burned on August 4, 1890, and was replaced by a four-story mill built of brick. In 1866, Charles A. Boutwell became associated with his father under the name of O. Boutwell and Son. Now, as to the token issued by this company, the first one issued was in 1835, during the Hard Times period, by O. & P. Boutwell, Bakers and Confectioners. Later, during the Civil War, another extensive issue was put out by Oliver Boutwell, Miller, Troy, New York. There are several varieties of these tokens and many very slight die variations. They were issued extensively in a large part of the Eastern United States, probably close to 1 or 2 hundred thousands of these tokens must have been issued. They are quite commonly seen, especially in Very Fine condition. Of the one variety of the Boutwell card, there were 29 die varieties said to be known by Hetrich & Guttag. There is another variety which has on the reverse, 'redeemed in bills at my office.' The reason for the many die varieties on these tokens is that many dies were used, and many of them were probably poorly cut, and cracked after several hundred strikings. " Source: Stack's : New York, Troy. 1863 Oliver Boutwell. Miller. F-890B-12b. Fuld Rarity-7. EF-40 (AN70302660)
Don in SoCal.....
Thank you so much for the information, I was overly excited "obviously," it could've been a button & I would've been just as excited. 🤣

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so excited for this find, I thought it was an old coin at first, I did a bit of research. During the Civil War, there were no metallic coins of any denomination in circulation. Tradesmen were thus forced to issue a medium that would save commerce. Many of these tokens depicted patriotic subjects. The irresponsible nature of these tokens forced Congress to pass an act in 1864, forbidding private individuals to issue any form of money. The one I just found is dated 1863. I also found a butt plate to a musket rifle from the civil war, wow those rifle's were heavy!
Nice find.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am only a little familiar with Civil War tokens in general and never saw or heard of your particular token until today, as I happened to dig one myself. I just ID’d it about an hour ago, only to see you post one (now two). . So ironic, I think. Looks like yours held up better than mine. Congrats on the cool tokens.
IMG_5178.jpeg

OP
OP
Bottles2Buttons

Bottles2Buttons

May 7, 2022
I am only a little familiar with Civil War tokens in general and never saw or heard of your particular token until today, as I happened to dig one myself. I just ID’d it about an hour ago, only to see you post one (now two). . So ironic, I think. Looks like yours held up better than mine. Congrats on the cool tokens.
View attachment 2082566
I actually found 2 today in the same spot. I think if you scroll down, you'll see my reply to another post where I put a picture of the second one I found. 🙂🙂
View attachment 2082566

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real nice Civil War Tokens (aka - Civil War Store Cards) - always a great find - congrats !
They are in better condition than a lot of the ones I've seen and found !

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
I think your rifle butt plate looks a little older than Civil War era and more on the civilian use side. The butt plates for the military issue rifles are heavier, flatter, and honestly lack the graceful and artistic curves of your find. I think your butt plate is more of a Kentucky or Pennsylvania type musket or rifle. That style is also found on Plains style rifles of the fur trade and early buffalo hunting era. I found one very much like or identical to your find here out West in an Indian or mountain man camp.

Either way, those are two very neat finds. I would be ecstatic to find them!

OP
OP
Bottles2Buttons

Bottles2Buttons

May 7, 2022
I think your rifle butt plate looks a little older than Civil War era and more on the civilian use side. The butt plates for the military issue rifles are heavier, flatter, and honestly lack the graceful and artistic curves of your find. I think your butt plate is more of a Kentucky or Pennsylvania type musket or rifle. That style is also found on Plains style rifles of the fur trade and early buffalo hunting era. I found one very much like or identical to your find here out West in an Indian or mountain man camp.

Either way, those are two very neat finds. I would be ecstatic to find them!
Thank you so much for the information, I greatly appreciate it. 🙂🙂

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread