Cleaning a ring with electrolosis........

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought some members would like to see the use of electrolosis in action to clean a silver ring.
I found a small sterling ring yesterday morning in a lake. It is an antique kids birthstone ring.
I have found several of these same rings with different colored stones over the years.
When silver is lost in the water it turns black. If it has been there a long time it develops a black crust like this one.
Below you will see the before, during, and after affects of using the electrolosis. I plan to put together a video or do a live talk at our detecting club meeting next month on the subject.

Attachments

• DSC01271.JPG
    DSC01271.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC01272.JPG
    DSC01272.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 704
  • DSC01273.JPG
    DSC01273.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 699
  • DSC01271.JPG
    DSC01271.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 700
  • DSC01272.JPG
    DSC01272.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC01273.JPG
    DSC01273.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 699
Upvote 0

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the great post!!! I just made an "electrolosis machine" a week or two ago and I am still impressed by what a little energy can do to help restore relics. I think encrusted lake finds like that deserve electrolosis to help clean em' up. MJ

bdavis7640

Apr 10, 2011
Southeast Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270
I find a lot of crusty silver rings in the lake I hunt, I have been using tarnex then silver polish but its a slow process and it doesen't get in the smaller detailed areas. I am very interested in how you are doing this. The results are impressive

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I would love to see that video!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the cleaning, if I'd done it, it would have looked like a crayon in a microwave.
Kudos.
Carl

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bdavis7640 said:
I find a lot of crusty silver rings in the lake I hunt, I have been using tarnex then silver polish but its a slow process and it doesen't get in the smaller detailed areas. I am very interested in how you are doing this. The results are impressive

Check in the How To forum. Quick & easy.... Take a Gladware container, an old AC/DC transformer/charger for a phone or other rechargable device; one you can see the two wire outer sleeve. Cut the end off, strip back to 1/2" of bare wire and clamp on aligator clips on each of the two wires. Put water, lemon juice and salt in the container. Clamp the ring with one end of the charger drop it in water, clamp a sacrificial metal (old steel spoon, bottle opener) and drop it in water. DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH. Plug in charger. If the ring starts bubbling, you have it correct. If the sacrificial metal bubbles, switch the wires around. Let it work for three to five minutes and check. Be sure to unplug the charger before you touch anything...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I use one for Silver to :icon_thumleft: but I abandoned the Alligator Clip because it scratches Silver :icon_thumleft:

SS

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any gemstones you can't do this with, (I'm guessing not pearl or opal?) It sure made a great difference!!

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tigger said:
Are there any gemstones you can't do this with, (I'm guessing not pearl or opal?) It sure made a great difference!!

Not sure? I do know that the cheap kids rings that have the stones glued it will often fallout if they are there at all. Most of the time they have already fallen out from the acid in the lake.

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Mike from MI said:
I thought some members would like to see the use of electrolosis in action to clean a silver ring.
I found a small sterling ring yesterday morning in a lake. It is an antique kids birthstone ring.
I have found several of these same rings with different colored stones over the years.
When silver is lost in the water it turns black. If it has been there a long time it develops a black crust like this one.
Below you will see the before, during, and after affects of using the electrolosis. I plan to put together a video or do a live talk at our detecting club meeting next month on the subject.

Nice job. May I interject an additional, yet optional step? After I clean silver with electrolysis, I rub the piece with a baking soda paste and it will sparkle as if it was brand new!

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberborikua said:
Mike from MI said:

Certainly does! I use it too! :icon_thumleft:

Nice job. May I interject an additional, yet optional step? After I clean silver with electrolysis, I rub the piece with a baking soda paste and it will sparkle as if it was brand new!

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

I use one for Silver to :icon_thumleft: but I abandoned the Alligator Clip because it scratches Silver :icon_thumleft:

SS

Yeah, I either wrap the wire end directly around the item, or for small items I use a paper clip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions