Cleaning coins and Numismatic value.

BRW

Mar 27, 2013
Guys I'm fairly new at this coin collecting thing.

I found a really dirty 1939 walker today in a roll and tried to clean it with dawn and warm water with little success. I've seen others mention cleaning with vinegar and baking soda or lemon juice in threads before. My question, does cleaning a coin affect its numismatic value, or should I just leave it as is?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

image-4065331988.jpg

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes cleaning will def decrease numismatic value- so if you plan to sell don't ever clean

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO walkers dont really have any numismatic value over silver price... atleast as silver sits currently... unless its a key date or error or something like that

I would recommend some silver jewelery cleaning liquid, at jeweler shops... it worked great on my barber quarter I found MD'ing, and it actually increased my value... I was offered 6$(spot at the time) before I cleaned it, and sold it to the same place for 28$ a month later with the same relative spot price. (uncleaned and clean pics on the first page - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/321618-first-silver-quarter-barber.html)

After using the cleaner and a toothbrush, I rinsed the cleaner off, and did some pasty baking soda with the toothbrush, and it really shined after the baking soda/water mixture. That cleaner works real quick too, few seconds for my dimes, the quarter took like 5-10 minutes and some toothbrush scrubbing to get to where it was...

Personally I would clean it up, especially if its your only one!

Good luck either way, HH

ETA: Oh yeah, if you do that method I mentioned, make sure to rinse your toothbrush and coin before/after switching between the baking soda/cleaner, I poured a little baking soda onto a coin after I was done soaking it , and it started to fizz, so they might be reactive chemicals :P didnt damage the coin or anything so who knows, just be careful :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BRW

Mar 27, 2013
Decided to clean it and keep it long term for my kids. Cleaned it with vinegar and baking soda because it was all I could find. It left a little grime on it, but shined it up quite a bit.

image-2171958398.jpg

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hot water, baking soda and aluminum foil.

Foil in the bottom of a bowl. Then add silver coin, bar, ect. Cover with baking soda and then pour hot boiling water over it. Oxidation will float off fast.

Rinse good after ward. You can light brush with soapy water before hand if need be.

Novapax

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have nothing against what one wants to do regarding cleaning, but the toning on that coin gave it character.

OP
OP
B

BRW

Mar 27, 2013
I have nothing against what one wants to do regarding cleaning, but the toning on that coin gave it character.

I considered that. It hid all the beautiful detail of the coin. Now that it's clean I can really see it all. It's my first walker so I wanted a pretty one to look at and cherish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread