cleaning indian heads

Gribnitz said:
What turns them green ? I have found Indians, but they all have been deep brown. Now wheat cents are another matter, they always seem to be corroded really bad, or green.

Its the oxidation of the copper. Copper oxidizes slowly in the air to produce a brown or green patina. In the ground it reacts with the Oxygen in the water to form Copper-oxide (normally green).

Depending on the levels of copper in the coin (this varies) & the soil conditions (Acid etc) will affect the final colour of the coin.

dugfinds said:
Gribnitz said:
What turns them green ? I have found Indians, but they all have been deep brown. Now wheat cents are another matter, they always seem to be corroded really bad, or green.

Its the oxidation of the copper. Copper oxidizes slowly in the air to produce a brown or green patina. In the ground it reacts with the Oxygen in the water to form Copper-oxide (normally green).

Depending on the levels of copper in the coin (this varies) & the soil conditions (Acid etc) will affect the final colour of the coin.

HAs anyone ever stopped to wonder why only INDIAN HEADS turn green? Why dont Lincolns, Flying Eagles, Large Cents, COlonial Copper, etc? It obviously has something to do with the composition of the coin.

Neil in West Jersey said:
dugfinds said:
Gribnitz said:

HAs anyone ever stopped to wonder why only INDIAN HEADS turn green? Why dont Lincolns, Flying Eagles, Large Cents, COlonial Copper, etc? It obviously has something to do with the composition of the coin.

The colonial copper found over here (ie british copper) does go green & other colours.

i've had just about all shades of green here,, i leave em out on the table and it goes away on most,, there is 1 that is a dark green, and i think it's gonna stay that way....

dugfinds said:
Gribnitz said:

Pre-1943 wheats turn green here. Flying eagles don't because they are copper-nickel and rust away like nickels do. Never dug a large cent to know if it turns green.

bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:
Gribnitz said:

Never dug a large cent to know if it turns green.

two of the three that i found have turned green. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back