Clipping from the Boston News-Letter, 12-26-1715

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1715 fleet from the Boston Newletter, 12-26-1715.png Boston News-Letter, 12-26-1715

One wonders exactly what "Spanish Wrecks" are referenced here.

Is it a "matter of fact" reference to the 1715 Fleet wrecks we all know and love?

Or is it a "matter of fact" reference to other wrecks located in the Bahamas?

If the former, it would seem the loss of the Spanish flotilla was well known in colonial America at a VERY early date.

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice clipping. I would say reference to 1715 Fleet. the London Gazette posted news in early Dec. 1715. Spanish salvage efforts were started at the time of the disaster. No secret. The wrecks were IN America ....trade and shipping between Havana and the rest of the Caribbean and the British as well as Spanish . Loss of a Fleet known to be laden with treasure no doubt the news travelled fast with every passenger and crew on each ship that learned of the wrecks.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It references a claim made by Mr Burton from Madera, but last from the Bahamas, says the inhabitants of 'these islands' (the Bahamas) have an abundance of money from the wrecks, which would preclude it being directly salvaged by them from the 1715 pile, since the 1715 wrecks aren't in the Bahamas, however Pirate Henry Jennings put in at Nassau first, right after robbing the salvage camp at Palma de Ayz, before he went on to Jamaica so its very possible that's how so much Spanish money was suddenly dumped there.

"Seven or eight vessels from Bermuda were gone to those wrecks" is interesting. The plate fleet sailed from Havana, not Bermuda and they lost 11 ships, not 7/8, so it's either loose reporting or it's something else entirely.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is my first posting! The 1715 Fleet is my area of interest and research. I'm no "elle" (Laura) but I am trying to learn all I can about the wrecks, the stories behind them and how it all relates to the Golden Age of Piracy.

Great find of that news clip!

It is most definitely the 1715 Treasure Fleet under Salmon/Echeverz/Ubilla being referenced. Jennings was only one of many pirates to raid the camps or at very least make the attempt. Most of the English who went did so with a convenient interpretation of the international laws, continuing the tradition of "privateering" despite the absence of war. Details would have been scant, but they certainly knew about the wrecks in a very short time with the proximity of their hub in the Bahamas.

The 7 or 8 vessels referenced are not those wrecked. It's those going to loot the wrecks! This was, after all, the foundation of the Golden Age of Piracy.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the news back then was anything like it is today i wouldnt believe a word of it.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used the Boston Newsletter during our research into the WHYDAH, great resource. Several of the pirates from that wreck of 1717 caught treasure fever attempting to raid the salvage camps.

WHYDAH Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread