Here is a small treasure wreck in the NC/ VA area from 1704...well known ???

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sea Flower, Boston News-Letter 3-12-1704.png Boston News-Letter 3-12-1704

I don't know if this wreck has made the "standard" shipwreck lists or whether the cargo was saved.
I have not researched it at all---just a quick google search and check of Marx.
I don't see it anywhere, but, by coincidence, Marx does mention a Sea-Flower going down in ballast near Cape Henry in 1822...obviously not the same vessel.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Jolly Mon

Thanks for the post. It does highlight a problem that several ships can have the same name even at the same time. Which can make tracing there movement some times difficult. That is why it is important to get as much details as possible.

I recall from my poor memory reading about a mutiny piracy case from around the 1820's regarding a vessel called the sea flower? 2 was acquitted and 3 or 5 was executed at Charleston. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Crow

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jolly Mon

Thanks for the post. It does highlight a problem that several ships can have the same name even at the same time. Which can make tracing there movement some times difficult. That is why it is important to get as much details as possible.

I recall from my poor memory reading about a mutiny piracy case from around the 1820's regarding a vessel called the sea flower? 2 was acquitted and 3 or 5 was executed at Charleston. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Crow

I don't know about the ship involved in the mutiny, but I do know there were AT LEAST 5 ships named Sea Flower wrecked in the 18th and 19th century. I posted the clipping for this one because though small, it is nonetheless a treasure wreck and might be of interest to some folks in that area. I am sure none are this Sea Flower, but there are lots of charted wrecks in the area just south of Cape Henry, as one might expect due to its proximity to Norfolk.

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
7K coins and a 2 silver bars doesn't really make for a 'treasure ship' - yes, it would make a career if any of us found it all at once - but its more a merchant ship and without any compelling information to nail down where she sank, it's not like there's going to be a strewn treasure trail to follow and keep the engines fed, as there was with the big time Galleons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread