Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where is this board house at?
Is it a short term for meaning a ( Boarding House, or maybe a term used by some buildings from the mining days that where built with just 1x12s, and had what we call a Fence Wall? ( being built of 1x12s nailed onto 2x4s, so it resembles a picket fence.
If it is even still standing or a foundation is there.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Roadrunner

The board house was the ranch house of Matt Cavaness where today's Quarter Circle-U Ranch is located.
This info is from Dr Glover's book part 1

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
RR,

Matthew Cavaness divorced his first wife and remarried. Working from memory here, I believe he built another house east of the "Board House". One wonders if it was also a "board house". Originally she lived there with two children. They sold milk, and I believe the place was called the Milk Ranch.??? I will look it up when I get home.

Good luck,

Joe

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I would think building a board house would be expensive in that area at the time. A house with rock walls would be cooler in the summer and the material would be free. Though if my wife was involved it would be a board house. Depends on what the wife is use to. Living in a town or a mud hut. Or a half and half like the old house at the CU.

Azhiker

Jan 8, 2010
sgtfda,

Acording to the Matthew Cavaness memoirs, the reason the house was called the boardhouse was Cavaness hauled a load of Silver King ore over to San Diego to be processed and with the money he made for the job he purchased a load of lumber (boards) and returned to his ranch and built the house. He was married with three children at the time.

cactusjumper is absolutely correct. Cavaness also built the house east of the boardhouse that became known as the Milk ranch. He put his mother in law ( Mrs. Rowe) and her family on that ranch. Later on the Whitlow's bought that ranch acording to Jack Carlson.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Frank,

In those days, a real house was made from wood. The more genteel ladies could not abide dirt walls and floors. They didn't want to hear no logic.

Take care,

Joe

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The house I am living in right now, around the Superior area, is made of adobe, 18 inches thick.
Cool in the summer, warm in the winter.
But, there are quite a few older homes in Superior that are made of what we call fence walls, or board houses.
In the 1800's, if there was a fire at a house, it was stripped of good parts left and rebuilt.
As a matter of fact, the town of Pinal, was moved to the town of Superior now,.
Board houses and buildings.
Whitlow ranch is around my area.
By Queen Valley.
My last name is Rowe(but the New England Rowe's). Darn it.LOL.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlmen: From time imemorial, most Adobe homes / buildings were plastered inside and out after construction. It was only after years of neglect that they apeared as the one that we see in the westen movies. The floors were also generaly made of fired adobe bricks, nice and clean.

I repeat, check this one out,it is adobe from start to finish. --> www.haciendadelossantos.com

As for plain dirt floors, sheesh, after walking in plain dirt or mud streets etc., in those long skirts, a well swept clean dirt floor would be a luxury - sides remember soap and bathing was just starting to become acceptable back East, not on the Frontier, Most guys & Gals were a bit - errrr - rank, by our present standards.

Speaking from personal experience -- sigh. after a few weeks on the trail, I became a bit indistinguishable from my mule, along with my own personal additives, no wonder the lonely ranch gals showed no further interest after the first sniff or two..

Don Jose de La Mancha <--- the smelly one !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions