Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis,

Is there any sign that the entrance to your tunnel was once walled-up?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

Yes, it was walled up at one time. I think I wrote this on my "vent picture", but the rocks (mostly flat ones) that made up the wall are there but knocked over. In my opinion, the rainwater falling from the top lip of the tunnel caused the bottom of the wall to wash out and fall over. At least to me, it doesn't look like a man moved them. I plan on getting a shot of those too.

As a side note, the entrance is "shaped like a Bell".... I'll get a pic of that too.

Thanks
Travis

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

I want to ad one more thing. I don't think Waltz walled up the entire tunnel either. I think the wall only covered about half of it. The reason is, the tunnel is about 35 feet above the floor of the canyon and "inset". I believe he only covered half of it because from the canyon floor, you can't see it anyway unless you know what you're looking for. I could be wrong, but it's what I believe based on what I've seen.

Thanks
Travis

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a rendezvous this year?
If so,what dates, and where is this Dons camp located.
I intend to show up.

Some Dude

May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
GMT, GTI-2500 & Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DD and others,

I gotta wonder – why would Waltz and Weiser go to the effort to (half-way) wall up an empty tunnel? To go to that much work, there must have been a good reason. I also wonder if solving that riddle will lead to other discoveries.

Just Thinkin,
Some Dude

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DD and others,

I gotta wonder – why would Waltz and Weiser go to the effort to (half-way) wall up an empty tunnel? To go to that much work, there must have been a good reason. I also wonder if solving that riddle will lead to other discoveries.

Just Thinkin,
Some Dude

SD

Only Waltz covered it, not Weiser. I think he went through the trouble because there was a gaping hole there and he was trying to hide the signs of the mine. Like I was explaining above, it's because of the location of the tunnel opening that I believe he only covered half of it. Just my opinion.

Thanks
Travis

Dec 26, 2006
Centennial, CO
DD,
On the subject of non-intrusive detection in the search for verification of the LDM, check out the easily backpackable unit at this link: 3D Ground Scanner eXp 5000 with VLF metal detector, metal discrimination and video eyewear

This is a VLF underground scanner with 3 dimensional display glasses. This looks like it that might possibly show the cavity that has been covered over or filled in at your location.

To all,
Has anyone ever used one of these units or know of those who did? Are they truly as cool and effective as they are portrayed to be? Seems like a dream come true for treasure hunters.

Colorado Mine Hunter

Some Dude

May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
GMT, GTI-2500 & Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Colorado,

Apart from the fact they cost $56,799.00 they can only achieve those advertised depths using the 40” coil, under ideal conditions. Ever notice they’re always on a perfectly manicured, dead flat lawn or a beach? But the real issue is that you simply can't swing a coil that size in most areas of the Superstitions due to terrain and vegetation.

Best,
SD

Some Dude

May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
GMT, GTI-2500 & Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD,

Just curious, I’m not asking for a picture. Actually, I would ask - but I don’t think I’d get one :laughing7:

Conatser wrote that the ‘key’ to locating the mine was a stone face, high on a ridge and “directly across from this stone face is the entrance to the mine”. I realize this one’s kind of tricky because people can see ‘faces’ in the rocks everywhere. By any chance, have you found the face Conatser wrote about?

Thanks,
SD

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SD

Of course I have a picture of that..... But you're right, I'm not posting that yet... LOL

In a little bit I will post one that I thought could have been the correct one. This ridge actually has 2 rocks that could be "men".

Thanks
Travis

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

The Red Arrow points to the giant head with what appears (to me) to be a sunken "eye socket", and a nose. It's also looking "Up". This one is close to the Conatser description. (Again, my opinion)

The Blue Arrow points to the small, black "figure". And let me tell you what, it looks like a "Sasquatch" sillouette when you see it in person.....It made the hair stand up on the back of my neck the first time I saw it because I was alone....... In my opinion, this "rock man" fit's the Holmes version. However, those that have read any of my past posts will know that I don't believe ALL of what's in the Holmes Manuscript. Only certain parts of it. Therefore I havent taken the time to walk over to it and see if there's a "face" carved into it.

In my opinion, neither one of these rocks are the correct ones. But they are close to my area.....

Thanks,
Travis

Attachments

• The Lost Dutchman Hunt 026.jpg
    The Lost Dutchman Hunt 026.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 245

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Travis,

Faces and heads, as well as bodies made of rock formations are all over the place. I found this head and this priest in the Supe's:

HeadShot.jpg

ThePriest2.jpg

There are many more.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

Yep, they're all over in those mountains..... In all the wrong places, and in the right ones too... I guess the trick is to find the one with the "rainbow" at the end.... Maybe it's Hog Canyon.. ;)

Take care,
Travis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

Yep, they're all over in those mountains..... In all the wrong places, and in the right ones too... I guess the trick is to find the one with the "rainbow" at the end.... Maybe it's Hog Canyon.. ;)

Take care,
Travis

Travis,

You're not paying attention. Hog Canyon would be the beginning.......not the end.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis,

You're not paying attention. Hog Canyon would be the beginning.......not the end.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe

I've listened to your theories. On this site and others. You probably know more history than anyone alive, except for maybe Tom or Clay. And I've learned a lot by reading the material you've shared both publically and privately. And for that I thank you.

But..... Your theory hasn't produced the desired results, and my own has led to more and more proof. Only one trip out of my 25 (give or take 1) has disappointed me, and that's because I got caught in the rain and had to bail.

I won't argue with you like a did before, because I've learned that your theories are "correct"... To YOU. But not to me. And that's ok. We don't agree on most things. But the beauty is, we don't have to.

You stick with what you've been doing for 50 years, and I'll change the game a little. Cause that's what works for me....

And I'll still slap your shoulder at the rendezvous and say hi. Because I've actually met you in person, and can tell most people that haven't had that pleasure that you're really not so bad in person... Dare I say a "nice guy"..??... LOL.... Yep, I'd say to anyone that if they show up in your camp, they'll be welcomed with a smile, a handshake, and water if they need it, no matter how far away their theories are from yours.

Thanks
Travis

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all very interesting, but I thought it was proven that waltz was nothing more than a high grader.
The gold he had matched the gold from the Vulture mine where he worked for a number of years.
He simply stole a nice pile of high grade ore over a period of time, hid it in the hills, and made up a little story to cover up his thievery.
If there is such a fantastic lode there, you should be able find it by prospecting. Metal detect, pan or drywash the drainage, when the color stops....look up.
Good luck to you, very interesting.

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all very interesting, but I thought it was proven that waltz was nothing more than a high grader.
The gold he had matched the gold from the Vulture mine where he worked for a number of years.
He simply stole a nice pile of high grade ore over a period of time, hid it in the hills, and made up a little story to cover up his thievery.
If there is such a fantastic lode there, you should be able find it by prospecting. Metal detect, pan or drywash the drainage, when the color stops....look up.
Good luck to you, very interesting.

According to the story books, the man that assayed the gold for Holmes said that he had never seen the ore before. And he was the man that assayed the gold for the Vulture Mine...... So I'm not sure what story you're reading, but the "highgrading" theory was put to rest a long time ago. I don't know the source, but I also remember reading that the Dutchman ore doesn't match ANY known mine in Arizona.

Travis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Travis,

I don't believe there is any record of Waltz ever working at the Vulture. The rich surface ore only lasted from 1863-1866.
After that, the ore only averaged 1-5 ounces per ton. Waltz was working his own claims in Prescott until 1865. That information
can be found on page 277 of "The Lost Dutchman Mine Of Jacob Waltz......" by Dr. Glover.

There are a number of really good researchers who have done much of the legwork on the history of Jacob Waltz and his
elusive mine. No Dutch Hunter should avoid their writings or dismiss their findings, but you still have to do your own research and
boots on the ground.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis,

I don't believe there is any record of Waltz ever working at the Vulture. The rich surface ore only lasted from 1863-1866.
After that, the ore only averaged 1-5 ounces per ton. Waltz was working his own claims in Prescott until 1865. That information
can be found on page 277 of "The Lost Dutchman Mine Of Jacob Waltz......" by Dr. Glover.

There are a number of really good researchers who have done much of the legwork on the history of Jacob Waltz and his
elusive mine. No Dutch Hunter should avoid their writings or dismiss their findings, but you still have to do your own research and
boots on the ground.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe

Thats correct. There is no paperwork to support the theory that Waltz worked at the Vulture Mine. I don't believe he did, because of the exact things you've mentioned. Even Corbin says that it's false in her book (page 97 of the "Bible"). That alone should be enough to say that Waltz got his gold from somewhere else. But when you couple that with the story about the man who had previously worked at the vulture saying that Waltz' gold was unfamiliar to him, then it should be a no-brainier that Waltz didn't Highgrade it. At least not from the Vulture.

Thanks
Travis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread