Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am trying to find out if the new Etrac coil and the Explorer coils will work on a Quattro. I called Minelab 4 times today ...... At last my 5th call and she paged some one..........He said the Etrac coil is the same one that is on the SE and that all the Explorer and Etrac and Quattro coils will fit on each other......Jim

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim_K said:
I am trying to find out if the new Etrac coil and the Explorer coils will work on a Quattro. I called Minelab 4 times today ...... At last my 5th call and she paged some one..........He said the Etrac coil is the same one that is on the SE and that all the Explorer and Etrac and Quattro coils will fit on each other......Jim

Would have been much easier to ask here. If it takes that kind of effort to have a question answered can you imagine a broken detector. Scary!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Jim_K said:

Would have been much easier to as here. If it takes that kind of effort to have a question answered can you imagine a broken detector. Scary!
Almost makes me want to give up on Minelab..................!!

Mad Witch

May 21, 2008
Poland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP 11", 105",8",5"
Jim_K said:
I am trying to find out if the new Etrac coil and the Explorer coils will work on a Quattro.

Hi Jim_K!

New 11" pro coil work great :thumbsup:. I have no doubt, each coil from detectors you ask would work perfect on Quattro!.

I was writing few @ to minelab whit some "Tech Talk" questions some time ago...But they never answer. I no what You mean :/

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mad Witch said:
Jim_K said:
I am trying to find out if the new Etrac coil and the Explorer coils will work on a Quattro.

Hi Jim_K!

New 11" pro coil work great :thumbsup:. I have no doubt, each coil from detectors you ask would work perfect on Quattro!.

I was writing few @ to minelab whit some "Tech Talk" questions some time ago...But they never answer. I no what You mean :/
:thumbsup:..Mad Witch....I know there service is not like it use to be...I hate to give up on Minelab but the service they have now since they sold out is really bad............................==Jim_K==

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad Witch said:
Jim_K said:

Hi Jim_K!

I get plenty of depth with my old XS and 1050 stock coil so even though I would like to try the pro there's no reason to.

A few years ago I sent an Explorer to Minelab simply to have a housing replacement because the thing wobbled, the detector worked great. I heard nothing for weeks, then finally received word one day it was fixed including the new circuit board replacement costing over $300. Minelab took it upon themselves to do their lame bench tests, come up with some problem, and do major repair work without even as much as an email. I'm a long time user and even at that point had a lot of time on the detector so knew full well I was trying to be taken. You want to talk about mad, anyone ever see the clip of the State Trooper who has the guy pulled over and the dude repeats to the officer several times "You're F'in Crazy" WEll that was me and the Minelab Spanish speaking tech. Since that day I have never sent anything to Minelab for service, I have had some minor problems but choose to sell off the detectors as is rather than dealing with the same type of crap. For the first few years of using an Explorer I needed two units because it seemed one was always away for repair. Luckily the last half of my Minelab using 'career' has been much better than the first. I'm loyal to the detector because I love it, but the company I would kick to the curb and pretty much have.

PS... All my bad experience was with the former Minelab. Imagine these days if it's worse!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch & Mad Witch........... I love Minelab detectors also but like you it will all be used ML detectors if one goes bad..................................==Jim_K==

Mad Witch

May 21, 2008
Poland
Detector(s) used
Deep looks to be similar with 10'5 (I was using this coil few years). It's all about the weight and stability of the new coil.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad Witch said:
Deep looks to be similar with 10'5 (I was using this coil few years). It's all about the weight and stability of the new coil.

Close... but it's about being either 100% as good or better than the 1050... if it is, only then will something like the weight be a bonus. Stability I think is pretty key because I run mine fairly noisy and any extra chirps would throw me off. That being said, too stable means probably not as good on the very small stuff which I absolutely have to find. I have the exact balance I need with the 1050 which is why I don't rush out and buy a pro coil. I do hope it's every bit as good because I'd hate to have to shop used every time I need a coil for the next ten years.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Jim_K said:
Iron Patch said:
Jim_K said:

Would have been much easier to as here. If it takes that kind of effort to have a question answered can you imagine a broken detector. Scary!
Almost makes me want to give up on Minelab..................!!

Companies can still have a great product even if their tech support is understaffed. Dell is like this, any cellular provider is, call ANY electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City, hell, calling my car dealer is a chore when I need some kind of technical assistance. Call UPS or FEDEX to find out where your package is now because you were not home when they tried to deliver it and have fun... Try to call city hall to get a permit to build a shed in your back yard... do we need more examples?

Let's not all throw our Minelab units in a bonfire just yet, ok ;) There is hope.

Mad Witch

May 21, 2008
Poland
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
Mad Witch said:

Close... but it's about being either 100% as good or better than the 1050... if it is, only then will something like the weight be a bonus. Stability I think is pretty key because I run mine fairly noisy and any extra chirps would throw me off. That being said, too stable means probably not as good on the very small stuff which I absolutely have to find. I have the exact balance I need with the 1050 which is why I don't rush out and buy a pro coil. I do hope it's every bit as good because I'd hate to have to shop used every time I need a coil for the next ten years.

Hi Iron!
First of all I'd like to say I really like the way how You treat "new and the best" products.I am suspicious as well...Only differences Is - I'd like to risk ;).
I feel that was "good shot" with the new coil.I'm hunting huge,open area.Although I'm big guy (110kg ;D) there is no hope i can endure 5h in such conditions with standard coil( last year I was using 8").
Few days ago i "hit" probably Celtic coin(when i only get positive id. I post this coin in my "best finds" :icon_king:) in area where I'm using Quattro for few years with few different coils.This coin is really small (+/-8mm).This is my first Celtic coin.I don't believe it was only luck.Guess what? I was using 11".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad Witch said:
Iron Patch said:
Mad Witch said:

Hi Iron!
First of all I'd like to say I really like the way how You treat "new and the best" products.I am suspicious as well...Only differences Is - I'd like to risk ;).
I feel that was "good shot" with the new coil.I'm hunting huge,open area.Although I'm big guy (110kg ;D) there is no hope i can endure 5h in such conditions with standard coil( last year I was using 8").
Few days ago i "hit" probably Celtic coin(when i only get positive id. I post this coin in my "best finds" :icon_king:) in area where I'm using Quattro for few years with few different coils.This coin is really small (+/-8mm).This is my first Celtic coin.I don't believe it was only luck.Guess what? I was using 11".

I have no problem with the risk if I think there is a chance of improvement. I was near going to buy the new coil but my detector seems to be working so well I just can't do it.

Have you ever tried an Explorer? From what I've read the Quattro is really lacking in comparison. Used Explorers are very inexpensive and would be close to an even trade for you.

Mad Witch

May 21, 2008
Poland
Detector(s) used
Don't believe everything You read :icon_study:.
Now seriously... I've try Explorer's and I really don't need this "waterfalls and bells" just like You new coil :P

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mad Witch said:
Now seriously... I've try Explorer's and I really don't need this "waterfalls and bells" just like You new coil :P

From what I understand the Quattro operates different, not just the features. Having not used one I'm only going by what I've read, and no, I certainly don't believe it all.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Mad Witch said:

From what I understand the Quattro operates different, not just the features. Having not used one I'm only going by what I've read, and no, I certainly don't believe it all.
I hate to tell you this but the Quattro is as deep as the Explorer and has some "bells & Waterfalls" but not loaded down with them like the Explorer .....................took your bells & water falls saying....Mad Witch..........Jim

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim_K said:
Iron Patch said:
Mad Witch said:

I hate to tell you this but the Quattro is as deep as the Explorer and has some "bells & Waterfalls" but not loaded down with them like the Explorer .....................took your bells & water falls saying....Mad Witch..........Jim

Who said anything about depth? Lost me.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Jim_K said:
Iron Patch said:
Mad Witch said:

That's ok i am lost all the time...................

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Iron Patch said:
Have you ever tried an Explorer? From what I've read the Quattro is really lacking in comparison.

Jim_K said:
I hate to tell you this but the Quattro is as deep as the Explorer...

Iron Patch said:

Well if it's not depth, what have you read that it's lacking?

I considered a Quattro when I was looking at the Explorer SE Pro, but just went for the top end because I thought it would stay at the top for at least 6 months. That's ok, technology always does this... I usually NEVER look back on a top-end purchase, because it's SOON to be outdated. That said, what you have can meet your needs. It has to or we would all be broke and living on the street.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I will be very honest here, guys, as I always am!!

I have extensively tested the Quattro against the Explorer SE on real targets in the ground at my trashy, mineralized parks here in S. CA numerous times. My hunting buddy has a Quattro, and has many, many hours of turf time with his machine over the past couple of years.

Verdict? The Quattro will sound off on nearly every deep target that my SE/Pro Coil will, but unfortunately its tone is broken and choppy on these deeper (8+") signals. The Quattro will give repeated low, then high tones on these targets....it sounds just like junk in the ground...an extremely iffy signal to dig to say the least. On my SE, that same signal gives a nice, fluty, high tone with repeated Minelab wiggles over the target...no doubt about it, I would be digging that signal on the SE.

This has been proven over and over again here in S. CA. I hunt with my buddy at least once a week in the turf. I swapped coils with him, allowing him to use my Pro Coil on his Quattro, and the results were the same as before. Very iffy sounding (low tone, high tone) signals on deeper coin targets in trash/mineralized soils.

I know Minelab left something out of the Quattro, and it wasn't just bells and whistles. The processor is cheaper and slower on a Quattro, probably making it not as good at analyzing accurately deeper targets. My buddy said he would love to get a used Explorer. He has seen with his own eyes the differences between his Quattro and Explorer SE.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Mad Witch

May 21, 2008
Poland
Detector(s) used
Every thing You said is true.Those "broken" sounds in Quattro are characteristics, I don't think experienced user can miss those signals. .For me it works like extra deep meter.Quattro is to slow in trashy area...SE is faster but still to slow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread