Coin price guides

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I'm planning on buying a coin price guide for American coins,in your opinion which one is the best to get(most trusted and accurate).

i am leaning toward the Redbook 2008 would this be the best choice,there is probably a post(s) somewhere on Tnet but i was unable to find them.Who else to ask except the trusted opinions of Tnet members. ;D

Thanks,Shawn

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would honestly go with something like a Coin Prices magazine. The info in the Redbook is already at least a month old by the time it is published each year, plus it's expensive. I'd go with some sort of periodical because you can save money, get more up-to-date-prices, and it's less bulky. If you're into colonials, these periodicals are lacking, but some of them do have Canadian coin prices too (unlike the Redbook).

Just my thoughts,

Buckleboy

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
BuckleBoy said:
I would honestly go with something like a Coin Prices magazine. The info in the Redbook is already at least a month old by the time it is published each year, plus it's expensive. I'd go with some sort of periodical because you can save money, get more up-to-date-prices, and it's less bulky. If you're into colonials, these periodicals are lacking, but some of them do have Canadian coin prices too (unlike the Redbook).

Just my thoughts,

Buckleboy

I agree. Or, you can use the Redbook and take 20% off what price it gives. You never want to buy at any price guides list. Except the Bluebook I guess...

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Oddplaces, either publication is good and will get you in the ball park. If your talking about what your " DUG " coins are worth you'll have to deduct about half of what the book says, that is unless the coins is in mint condition. That's been my experience anyway.

Desertfox

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Red Book as a guide...and if you really want to know what someone will pay for a particular coin..Check ebay..

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertfox said:
Oddplaces, either publication is good and will get you in the ball park. If your talking about what your " DUG " coins are worth you'll have to deduct about half of what the book says, that is unless the coins is in mint condition. That's been my experience anyway.

Desertfox

Well said. I'd add that you'll want to deduct half for a copper and perhaps 20% for a silver coin due to them being in "dug" condition.

Regards,

Buckleboy

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to find a place to get a copy of the gray sheets.These are what coin dealers use to price your coins.....
As far as dug coins,i wouls expect unless it is something rare then it would only be melt value or a couple bucks if it is in decent shape.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I use the Bluebook when buying, the Redbook when selling. (Roughly) All price guides are estimates only and subject to change. Especially the Red and Blue books, as they only come out once a year.

Coin prices and Trends are grossly over valued in my opinion.

As someone mentioned, the Greysheet is the most up to date price guide available, as they come out weekly.

Ebay is kinda sketchy trying to figure out prices from, too. Problem is the buyers who are bidding are bidding on coins they haven't even seen in real life. A lot of them are overgraded by the sellers. And sometimes the pics leave much to be desired. So you really don't have an honest price for an honestly graded coin. Or at least you can't be REALLY sure...

Best bet I think is to study the grading guides before you start thinking about buying or selling. Then start out slow buying a few choice coins that aren't really all that expensive to see how you did. Take them home and really get a good look with a loupe or magnifying glass.

Once you're fairly comfortable with grading, try and purchase key or semi key coins first for your collection. By the time you finish your collection, that key date coin you put off buying could've doubled in price!

Getting way off topic here....... LOL! I love coins!

Anyways, I hope my opinions on price guides were helpful- ;)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Oldplaces, yes I was referring to coins you dig up out of the ground. Unless they are really rare they have very little value. If your trying to buy coins make sure you know your source as its very easy to over pay. Its best to spend some time at a local coin dealers and get to know your way around a bit.
Good luck

Desertfox

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
desertfox said:
Oldplaces, yes I was referring to coins you dig up out of the ground. Unless they are really rare they have very little value.
Desertfox

For common-date Mercs, Roosies, and Washington Quarters, this is true. They have very little value. However, if they are dug, high-grade older silver, they still bring quite nice prices though! Even at 25% less than bluebook, AU/MS Barber coins, SLQ's, and Seated coins will bring nice prices. If you don't believe me, take a look at the listings. So the idea that most of them have little value unless they are rare isn't quite true. What is true is that field-cleaned, "spit-cleaned," or otherwise scratched dug coins of the same grades have little or no value after the damage is done.

Regards,

Buckleboy

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Hey Shawn,I just got a 2008 redbook the other day, and I think it will be great to use for getting ballpark price figures but I don't think I will get a new one every year. I think I will just update this one if something really changes.
HH,
Donny

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most collectors are not interested in dug coins even if they are silver.Even by what you said you made my point.
Why would i pay for a dug coin the same price i could pay for a coin that has never been in the ground.Unless it was a rare or key date???Even then you would have to have it cleaned and graded.
Almost all the collectors i know would would not touch a dug coin....Unless it is rare date or low mintage..and then they will cut the price a bunch..
Say a 1918-s that you dig will not bring as much as one in a coin shop..And it wil probably be a lot less than 25% of the listed price.
As someone already said research what they are slling for before you sell and i would use price guides and visit some coin dealers and see what it would cost to buy the coin from them.
I DO NOT recommend ebay for the reason already stated in a previous post.A lot of people buying on there do not know what they are buying.They bid just because it is old and they think it is worth a lot of money.
Sorry to get off topic..........

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
djabend said:
Hey Shawn,I just got a 2008 redbook the other day, and I think it will be great to use for getting ballpark price figures but I don't think I will get a new one every year. I think I will just update this one if something really changes.
HH,
Donny
The rebook is a good id nad basic guide but i would still check coin mags and dealers to get current prices....my redbook is from 2005.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teverly said:
Most collectors are not interested in dug coins even if they are silver.Even by what you said you made my point.
Why would i pay for a dug coin the same price i could pay for a coin that has never been in the ground.Unless it was a rare or key date???Even then you would have to have it cleaned and graded.
Almost all the collectors i know would would not touch a dug coin....Unless it is rare date or low mintage..and then they will cut the price a bunch..
Say a 1918-s that you dig will not bring as much as one in a coin shop..And it wil probably be a lot less than 25% of the listed price.
As someone already said research what they are slling for before you sell and i would use price guides and visit some coin dealers and see what it would cost to buy the coin from them.
I DO NOT recommend ebay for the reason already stated in a previous post.A lot of people buying on there do not know what they are buying.They bid just because it is old and they think it is worth a lot of money.
Sorry to get off topic..........

How many collectors do you know? I know a good many collectors that would be happy to have a higher quality dug coin for less than bluebook price, and these folks are out there. What did I say that proved your point??? I'm still a little foggy on this, and I thought were discussion...please feel free to tell me what it was!

So you're trying to tell me that EVERY higher-grade silver coin that you've unearthed (aside from the keys and semi-keys) has been worth practically nothing? I don't think I can buy that notion, and I see no reason to have anyone else believe something that isn't true. Please justify your answer with examples. I would like to see photos of common-date, high grade dug coins and prices paid, as well as bluebook prices on the date of sale. I understand that this is a tall order, but I am willing to wait. Post them here on this thread as you are able to locate them. When sufficient information is posted, I am more than happy to agree with your point of view.

Regards,

Buckleboy

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Every silver coin I dug, you can't even tell it was in the ground. Copper I understand but what are you guys talking about with silver? What do your coins look like out of the ground? Here are two I dug.

Attachments

• 1945halkf.jpg
    1945halkf.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 93

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
believe me a collector can tell.If you examine the coin with a loop you will see where it has been cleaned...and you may even be able to se some small places the dirt is still on it.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
teverly said:
believe me a collector can tell.If you examine the coin with a loop you will see where it has been cleaned...and you may even be able to se some small places the dirt is still on it.

I guess you are right. I never sold a coin I find anyway so it doesn't matter to me. Of course if I found a super rare coin worth lots of money, I would. ;)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
desertfox said:
Oldplaces, yes I was referring to coins you dig up out of the ground. Unless they are really rare they have very little value.
Desertfox

For common-date Mercs, Roosies, and Washington Quarters, this is true. They have very little value. However, if they are dug, high-grade older silver, they still bring quite nice prices though! Even at 25% less than bluebook, AU/MS Barber coins, SLQ's, and Seated coins will bring nice prices. If you don't believe me, take a look at the listings. So the idea that most of them have little value unless they are rare isn't quite true. What is true is that field-cleaned, "spit-cleaned," or otherwise scratched dug coins of the same grades have little or no value after the damage is done.

Regards,

Buckleboy
Where are the listings for dug au/ms coins at???You said au/ms will bring good prices even at 25% less.Look at the listings.
What im saying is if i want au/ms i will pay the higher price for a non dug coin to get a better coin.And if you are going to sell it as au/ms the buyer will probably want it graded.So how can you sell it for 25% less.
I know several collectors and i dont think any of them have bought dug coins..and i dont know if anyone has ever approached them about it.Both of the guys i work with that started me out are in there 60s and have been collecting since they were kids.They both told me that they and most of the guys they know would probably not buy dug coins unless they were scarce dates.
Can you show me a list telling me the sale prices for dug coins ??The damage to a dug coin is done as soon as you take it from the ground.Any dirt removal or just putting it in a container and moving it around causes scratches and it will lower the value.
But since i dont sell any of my stuff i usually dont worry about what they are worth.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldplacesnofinds said:
teverly said:

I guess you are right. I never sold a coin I find anyway so it doesn't matter to me. Of course if I found a super rare coin worth lots of money, I would. ;)

Yea,it would probably get graded and sold.Been at this 12yrs and still have all the stuff i have found......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions