Coin Processors Sorting Silver?

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know of coin processors (Brink's, Loomis, etc.) that sort out silver and older coins? I heard a rumor that some processors sort out the silver and you will rarely find any in their rolls. Does anyone know if there is truth to this rumor? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Dumb question... just let this thread fade into oblivion and stop replying to it please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Brinks services Coinstar, so there should be a little less silver in them. Maybe we should pin a thread about this to the top permanently to stop this question being asked 3x a week.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happened to be at the grocery store the last time the Coinstar guy was there servicing the machine and I asked him if the machines are able to separate the silver. He said no. He told me that just recently (within the past year) they replaced the separator in all of the machines and the new mechanism does not pull out the silver. He was telling me tales about how back in the old days he used to carry about $200 in pocket change with him along his route everyday to replace the silver he was pulling out of the machines. He had the machine all open and showed me a separate reject bin where the silver would go that was only inside the machine. But now it doesn't do that anymore. The real trick is to find out where Coinstar is dumping their change.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I asked for a metal detector with x-ray vision and tv screen. They will comply if they want their fuel back.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I happened to be at the grocery store the last time the Coinstar guy was there servicing the machine and I asked him if the machines are able to separate the silver. He said no. He told me that just recently (within the past year) they replaced the separator in all of the machines and the new mechanism does not pull out the silver. He was telling me tales about how back in the old days he used to carry about $200 in pocket change with him along his route everyday to replace the silver he was pulling out of the machines. He had the machine all open and showed me a separate reject bin where the silver would go that was only inside the machine. But now it doesn't do that anymore. The real trick is to find out where Coinstar is dumping their change.

I've found silver in the reject tray available to the dumpers before, so I don't think any went in the machine.

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Just had to breathe new life into this thread. Brinks certainly has the capability to cull different compositions of any denomination. They have done it before with copper cents, using their "Super Sorter." All they have to do is flip the switch on that bad boy and all the silver is theirs. I believe they perform this service for Coinstar, as it only makes sense for Coinstar to benefit from the silver they collect.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Just had to breathe new life into this thread. Brinks certainly has the capability to cull different compositions of any denomination. They have done it before with copper cents, using their "Super Sorter." All they have to do is flip the switch on that bad boy and all the silver is theirs. I believe they perform this service for Coinstar, as it only makes sense for Coinstar to benefit from the silver they collect.

The coinstars reject silver back to the customers, meaning Coinstar gets no silver (unless their employees hide behind the machine and wait for silver to be rejected:laughing7:).

F

Farchaus2k

I snuck into the local Brinks sorting facility yesterday. Crawled through the duct work until I got to a vent directly above the room where all the sorting and re-rolling is done. I couldn't believe what I saw. 4 rows of tables, each with 8 people sitting per row, literally going through every half dollar that was brought in. They were edge and date checking all of them. I saw them pull out the silver ones and put them in a special basket. It was amazing!!

At two smaller tables they had 4 people going through the dimes and nickels, doing the exact same thing.

Most amazing to me was in the middle of the room they had 5 Ryedale machines continuously sorting out all the copper cents as well.

Finally proof of what many of you have suspected. Brinks is taking all the silver and copper out of their boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions