colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Can you tell me how you got those so clean after you found them corroded? I know this post is old, but I have a couple old colonial coins that I found that I can't see much of...

Thanks.

Someone else asked that question and he answered somewhere in the thread. I was curious too! I'm on my laptop without a mouse otherwise I'd copy and paste his answer.

guyusdigus

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2014
CENTRAL NJ
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO / GARRETT 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some GOOD advice on how to properly clean these old colonial era copper coins. I am fairly new ( 3 yrs) to the hobby but I think I have put in quite a bit of time. I live in a very colonial rich part of NJ and have found many many coppers. Don't get me wrong I really prefer working a farm field over a park any day just for that reason. My dilemma is I have probably ruined more coins then I should have. These finds range from 1721 KG to 1723 Hibernia NJ coppers Spanish silver 1/2 1 and 2 Reales....like I said colonial rich. I just want to be able to preserve as much as possible.

Thanks for your help in advance

G

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
This should be on the banner as that doesnt happen often !!
You got my banner vote for certain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an old post....but if there ever was a T Net Banner injustice, it was this post.

Asleep at the wheel. They should correct that and put it up now!

I very much appreciate the comments lately for the coin spill :notworthy::notworthy: but :laughing7::laughing7: .............its been 4 years now people !!!

Maybe they could start up a sub forum named "Best finds to get snubbed" or "Bannerless injustices" :laughing7::laughing7: I would sure frequent it
often !!

thanks again

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible, , I have never found a single Fugio, and you find 4 in one hunt. I vote Banner. ( Or Bannerless)

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be listed in the best of Tnet.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this NOT a banner already? Good lord what a find. Congrats!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning finds. Nothing like finding 3 different types of coins as rare as that in one dig. Can't imagine why this didn't make the banner. I believe it deserves it.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me how you got those so clean after you found them corroded? I know this post is old, but I have a couple old colonial coins that I found that I can't see much of...

Thanks.

Hmmmmm that is weird :dontknow:Sammy97 . Trying to understand a few numbers , ahhh,
You have Been a member since Oct. 2004 , 11 years , and asking the op how to clean copper . :icon_scratch: ok

What' s up with all the voting ? ??? 4 years too late .

Reminds me of the 1841 Seated dollar that I dug back around that time, 2011 ..like leddels great fine ,that big seated IS the only seated dollar that , never made it , Yeah I still feel slighted about that one :BangHead: there are many more than these so ...
it is what it is ....... no one voted because of partiality , thats how the top finders stay Top Finders ....... 4 years later , time to move on.
Thanks for reading my rant .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note....... Thread is over 4 years ol

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. You all are filling up mine and my son's bucket list when were in New Jersey next summer!!!!! Those are just amazing finds!!!!!:occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread