Colonial finds and the first water trip yields SILVER!! Off and running

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two quick hunts in two days. After work I managed to run out to a colonial site and help a buddy with a pit. I dug a couple of buttons, but my best find by far was the small pewter spoon. Very nice shape other than being in two pieces. I also dug a nice stirrup at the site as well - hope to have it cleaned and preserved in the coming days.

This morning I decided to get in the water for the first trip of the summer. While I fought with snakes and snapping turtles (not to mention the muck and yellow flies) I did manage a few goodies. I was especially happy with the 1838 Dime. Once she popped out of the water I knew I had a good one and will take it. This is only the second year for seated dimes and one year that I do not currently have.

This site was the scene of a union encampment as evidence by the three bullets (sulfur layer was not nice to them) the J hook and button back. The flat button might have been from the camp, though most likely from the use as this was a colonial populated area as well. I did eyeball a nice native american pottery fragment.

Other than that - it was just a nice morning out on the water and a good beginning to what I hope will be a productive water season.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 207
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    620.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 19

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds - love the spoon and early silver. As much as I love to relic hunt I am not sure I could brave all of the evils out there in and around the water in the summer months. I went last weekend around Town Creek and saw 2 copperheads, a wild boar, a couple hundred ticks and biting flies. I almost decided it is time to hang up the detector for the summer and stick to boating for pleasure.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I'm a coin guy, I have to admit I do love that stirrup a LOT! Very nice finds.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - looks like you had a great time but not sure I'm going to be cut out for this water hunting thing with all the snakes and other critters. And our conversation from yesterday, with a full disclosure of all the details, didn't help as it was a bit on the scary side especially with the anecdote about Beau thrown in. I think a lot of arm twisting may be in order. You definitely worked for those finds.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - looks like you had a great time but not sure I'm going to be cut out for this water hunting thing with all the snakes and other critters. And our conversation from yesterday, with a full disclosure of all the details, didn't help as it was a bit on the scary side especially with the anecdote about Beau thrown in. I think a lot of arm twisting may be in order. You definitely worked for those finds.

Ha thanks man - I believe we can find less "wild" places to take you

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated that stirrup is awesome

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. I like that stirrup

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys...amazed at how many folks like the stirrup more than the seated dime ha...guess I am not alone after all.

Dan

Don't forget to repost the stirrup after you're done with the electrolysis. Looks like it should turn out nice.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice recoveries Dan, looking forward to trying water hunting someday. Goodluck next time out.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread