Colonial finds and the first water trip yields SILVER!! Off and running

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two quick hunts in two days. After work I managed to run out to a colonial site and help a buddy with a pit. I dug a couple of buttons, but my best find by far was the small pewter spoon. Very nice shape other than being in two pieces. I also dug a nice stirrup at the site as well - hope to have it cleaned and preserved in the coming days.

This morning I decided to get in the water for the first trip of the summer. While I fought with snakes and snapping turtles (not to mention the muck and yellow flies) I did manage a few goodies. I was especially happy with the 1838 Dime. Once she popped out of the water I knew I had a good one and will take it. This is only the second year for seated dimes and one year that I do not currently have.

This site was the scene of a union encampment as evidence by the three bullets (sulfur layer was not nice to them) the J hook and button back. The flat button might have been from the camp, though most likely from the use as this was a colonial populated area as well. I did eyeball a nice native american pottery fragment.

Other than that - it was just a nice morning out on the water and a good beginning to what I hope will be a productive water season.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 207
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    620.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 19
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what the crocodile hunter said too :thumbsup:
Very cool finds!--so what do you do to ward off moccasins or other water snakes if they're headed your way while you're hunting?
I use a technique I call "the screaming girl." ha ha. Honestly, I pause, stop, watch and they go away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions