Comet Montana

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The town is named for the Comet Mine, which was developed in 1883 by the Helena and Livingston Smelting and Reduction Company, based on a discovery made in 1874. Ore was transported to another mine in Wickes for processing. This operation shut down in 1897. Operations were revived in 1900 under the Montana Consolidated Copper Company; in 1927 the Basin Montana Tunnel Company took over the property and built a processing plant on the site for both this mine and the nearby Gray Eagle mine. These operations continued until 1941 when the mine was exhausted and operations were permanently halted.

The Comet mine produced some $20 million in ore and was the richest mine in the district; the Gray Eagle mine produced over $2 million on top of this. Ores produced included lead, zinc, copper, silver, and gold.
Comet, Montana is a ghost town located about twenty miles SSW of Helena. It is reached by following High Ore Road north from Interstate 15. The remains of the town cover about thirty-five acres and consist of an ore hopper, a large ore processing building, several other company buildings, and numerous houses and other private structures. High Ore Creek runs through the center of the property and separates the mine buildings from the town proper. The town is abandoned except for a single active residence; although it sits on private grazing land, it is open to public access.

comet01.jpg
comet04.jpg
comet08.jpg

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Gyspy - Great pics :) This is a few hours from me... I've driven a lot further to detect!

Anyway - here is the google earth view (with coords), it's a very accessible area, I circled what is prolly the remaining ghost buildings with what looks like a modern dwelling. Should be an easy trip for someone...

misterbeee... where do you live? Ahhh... I see you are up in Trego... kewl.

zzz.jpg

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
PBK... LOL

misterbeee said:
Thanks for the arial view and coordinates, I will be there this summer!

Misterbee... I don't know if those coords came out too small, but you can find Comet in the DeLorme Montana Atlas 4 miles north of Bolder off I-15.

wildman-1374

Jan 31, 2009
I GOT TO TELL YOU THAT MYSELF AND A THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN MONTANA HAVE BEEN THERE METAL DETECTING, DIGGING OUTHOUSES AND YOU NAME IT, IF I WAS GOING TO METAL DETECTED IN MONTANA THAT WOULD BE THE LAST PLACE I WOULD RECOMEND. I CAN GUARANTEE YOU ALMOST 100% THAT YOU WILL NOT FIND ONE THING. ANYBODY CAN OPEN UP A GHOST TOWN BOOK AND SAY GO HERE AND GO THERE. THE PROBLEM IS EVERYBODY AND THERE DOG HAVE SEEN THAT BOOK. TRY A TOWN THAT'S NOT IN A GHOST TOWN BOOK AND YOU MIGHT FINED SOMETHING. GOOD HUNTING, MEL, AKA WILDMAN.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome Wildman! Might try taking off your caps lock so folks don't think you are yelling. :wink: Glad to see you here and hope you enjoy it! As for not finding anything I have yet to find misterbeee going anywhere no matter how hunted out it was that he did not find anything. He is a goody magnet! lol Good luck Brian! Hope you find lots and have a good time as well, always a good day when you get to go out and hunt and especially with such great scenery!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
wildman-1374 said:
I GOT TO TELL YOU THAT MYSELF AND A THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN MONTANA HAVE BEEN THERE METAL DETECTING, DIGGING OUTHOUSES AND YOU NAME IT, IF I WAS GOING TO METAL DETECTED IN MONTANA THAT WOULD BE THE LAST PLACE I WOULD RECOMEND. I CAN GUARANTEE YOU ALMOST 100% THAT YOU WILL NOT FIND ONE THING. ANYBODY CAN OPEN UP A GHOST TOWN BOOK AND SAY GO HERE AND GO THERE. THE PROBLEM IS EVERYBODY AND THERE DOG HAVE SEEN THAT BOOK. TRY A TOWN THAT'S NOT IN A GHOST TOWN BOOK AND YOU MIGHT FINED SOMETHING. GOOD HUNTING, MEL, AKA WILDMAN.

Thanks Wildman for your comments. These stories on ghost town locations are not just placed here for detecting purposes.
The fact is,there are many people here who do not look at old ghost towns as just places to detect. Many of us are there for the history, the photograph opportunities or because one of our ancestors lived there......I have hunted many ghost towns and found a few of my own,that are not in books.
As far as a place ever being hunted out...I have been told that many times....and proved them wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread