CONFEDERATE GOLD IN DANVILLE, VA.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin, must still have more information that we don't know, do you have a map or a signed affidavit saying the supposedly treasure is in the graveyards, still hard for me to believe, if were going to retrieve it! I've also measured the beech tree personally at 16ft in circumference and my guesstimate approximately 305 years.

The last time I measured the Circumference of the Beech Tree it was over 226 inches or over 36 inches in diameter. Divide 226 by Pi 3.14 equals 72. Multiply 72 times 6 gives you 432 years old. Screenshot_2020-07-13 how to measure the age of a beech tree - Google Search.png

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
All the time when you write lies. I am watching you.
Accusing a TN member of being a liar is a forum rule violation.
If you are accusing me of being a liar, Honest Samuel, please present a list of what lies I have written to support your statement.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS,has not been lying, he is a stickler for the exact truth. All I can say the supposedly treasure is in Danville, under a mountain covered in rocks, and not in any graveyard? Why bury it in a graveyard, if you want to retrieve it later?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS, each of us have their own opinion on this subject. So far, nobody have recovered KGC treasures, best of luck to all of you.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is always a first time for everything! There has to be
some kind of conclusion one way or the other. I'm working on it. LOL

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS, each of us have their own opinion on this subject. So far, nobody have recovered KGC treasures, best of luck to all of you.

Opinion is not fact, neither are expanded embellished fill in the blanks tales of lore and legend considered as real hard evidence, nor claims of information that appear spurious and when questioned cause the claimant to insult the questioner which affect the believability and credibility of the posted information.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinion is not fact, neither are expanded embellished fill in the blanks tales of lore and legend considered as real hard evidence, nor claims of information that appear spurious and when questioned cause the claimant to insult the questioner which affect the believability and credibility of the posted information.
This is true of all publish stories about sunken and buried treasure on earth.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
An interesting footnote to the short time Davis and cabinet were in Danville, while many CSA records were burned or destroyed, CSA Captain Edward S Hutter saved CSA Sec if State Judah P Benjamin's personal and handwritten annotated copy of Vattel's "LAW OF NATIONS". Benjamin ran the spy and signal corps, the CSA European agents for the acquisition of loans and credit, and the blockade runners, and he used Vattels as a code book for these various activities.
CSA Captain Edward S Hutter was the cousin of James Beverly Ward, the publisher, and most likely author of THE BEALE PAPERS pamphlet in 1885, a period adventure treasure story which included ciphers that would, if solved, lead to buried treasure.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I believe the war hasn't actually ended, people just stopped using bullets! Darn Bluebellies! LOL

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
For clarification, Franklin, you are stating that you gave Kathleen Kilpatrick an April, 1865 contemporary newspaper that states per you quote:
"Three days before President Jefferson Davis left Richmond, Provost Marshall and high member of the KGC, Sam McCubbin, took $8 Million in gold specie by train out of Richmond to some point South".
In the Richmond Daily Dispatch, February 13, 1864, lists Samuel McCubbin as Confederate Chief of Police in Richmond, involved in the arrest of Richmond embalmer, who, for a price, was aiding Confederate deserters escape to the North.
Other news articles in the Richmond Daily Dispatch and Richmond Sentinel which contains the same story-
www.bluegreyreview.com/2014/02/14/stung-on-the-underground-railroad/
From February 1864 to April 2, 1865 have several articles of McCubbin's duties as either Chief of Police or Captain of Police, rounding up Confederate deserters and returning them to their units or to the gallows.
McCubbin is never referred to as "Provost Marshall and high member of the KGC" in these newspapers, nor is that McCubbin "took $8 Million in gold specie by train out of Richmond"
Then McCubbin is mention in that Monday May 1, 1865 NEW YORK TIMES article reporting to the Union Provost Marshall of Richmond on the Saturday before, interrogated of his activities which involved chasing deserters up until Lee's surrender.
Without proof of an actual newspaper article, with all the jumbled information, this McCubbin treasure story has the appearance of originating from a pulp treasure magazine that mentions "according to a April 1865 newspaper article" as its source for the story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions