Confirmed-2.5 Mile Wide Comet expected September 15-28, 2015... ? did I miss memo ?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I blame it on the Florida Beach hunters, they have been praying for the big storm to eroded there beach's for the past two years.. Well I hope there Happy now!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'll just go with what the experts say!

Numerous recent blogs and web postings are erroneously claiming that an asteroid will impact Earth, sometime between Sept. 15 and 28, 2015. On one of those dates, as rumors go, there will be an impact -- "evidently" near Puerto Rico -- causing wanton destruction to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and Mexico, as well as Central and South America.

That's the rumor that has gone viral -- now here are the facts.

"There is no scientific basis -- not one shred of evidence -- that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates," said Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

In fact, NASA's Near-Earth Object Observations Program says there have been no asteroids or comets observed that would impact Earth anytime in the foreseeable future. All known Potentially Hazardous Asteroids have less than a 0.01% chance of impacting Earth in the next 100 years.

The Near-Earth Object office at JPL is a key group involved with the international collaboration of astronomers and scientists who keep watch on the sky with their telescopes, looking for asteroids that could do harm to our planet and predicting their paths through space for the foreseeable future. If there were any observations on anything headed our way, Chodas and his colleagues would know about it.

"If there were any object large enough to do that type of destruction in September, we would have seen something of it by now," he stated.

Another thing Chodas and his team do know -- this isn't the first time a wild, unsubstantiated claim of a celestial object about to impact Earth has been made, and unfortunately, it probably won't be the last. It seems to be a perennial favorite of the World Wide Web.

In 2011 there were rumors about the so-called "doomsday" comet Elenin, which never posed any danger of harming Earth and broke up into a stream of small debris out in space. Then there were Internet assertions surrounding the end of the Mayan calendar on Dec. 21, 2012, insisting the world would end with a large asteroid impact. And just this year, asteroids 2004 BL86 and 2014 YB35 were said to be on dangerous near-Earth trajectories, but their flybys of our planet in January and March went without incident -- just as NASA said they would.

"Again, there is no existing evidence that an asteroid or any other celestial object is on a trajectory that will impact Earth," said Chodas. "In fact, not a single one of the known objects has any credible chance of hitting our planet over the next century."

NASA detects, tracks and characterizes asteroids and comets passing 30 million miles of Earth using both ground- and space-based telescopes. The Near-Earth Object Observations Program, commonly called "Spaceguard," discovers these objects, characterizes the physical nature of a subset of them, and predicts their paths to determine if any could be potentially hazardous to our planet. There are no known credible impact threats to date -- only the continuous and harmless infall of meteoroids, tiny asteroids that burn up in the atmosphere.

JPL hosts the office for Near-Earth Object orbit analysis for NASA's Near Earth Object Observations Program of the Science Mission Directorate in Washington. JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

More information about asteroids and near-Earth objects is at:

Near-Earth Object Program

Asteroid Watch ,

and on Twitter: @asteroidwatch

Media Contact

DC Agle 818-393-9011
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

2015-272

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea Not gonna Happen

Sept. 29 is Salsa and Merengue Nights at Oceano in San Juan.

index.jpg

They would have had to Cancel by now.

it's impossible to Merengue with a big hole in the ground

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For fun read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Pournelle and Niven. It's fiction but these are science guys and did a bit of research. Just remember to bet on a water hit. Those weeks of rain will take care of the dust.

Loved it!

Another good one they wrote together was Footfall

Any race that could travel to Earth with bad intent could pick us off by dropping tungsten or even iron rods mined in the asteroids and we couldn't do a thing about it. A 500 pound 2" diameter rod dropped end-on from orbit would take out an aircraft carrier even if 50% melted away in the atmosphere. And if you could navigate to the Earth from 1,400 light years away that last 30 mile shot would be cake.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care what y'all say, I'm still wearing a hard hat till the end of the month...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I saw the comet coming last night...

Turned out to be a lint ball hanging from a string from the brim of my hat. :P

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh No I forgot !
Did I miss it :(

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You missed it.. should have recorded it :P

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,,
We have 7 days yet to see what "pans" out.
There have been rumors for quite a while concerning the September 23rd date and timeframe.
With Jade Helm going on still and all the FEMA preps. I have a notion that SOMETHING is in the works but what that something is,,,, I have no idea.
Have your preps in order and ready. Be ready to bug IN for a few days,,, maybe longer and NEVER ADMIT that you have any weapons,,, TO ANYONE.

Where we live I am not too worried,,,,although we are central to a pile of bases.
IF it does get too bad,,,we are ready,,, I just hope for the rest of the "unprepared" it is a fast demise if a life terminating event does occur.
Now where did I put my popcorn?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I saw it coming this morning, but it was just another car.
Upon reflection, it did seem a little low to be a comet.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World last night, so I feel prepared. I'm quitting my job Friday and traveling cross country to find my first love. Hope the wife understands. Thanks for the head's up of the impending apocalypse!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and I will be bringing my detector!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the precious metals that exist on Earth today may have been brought here by comets... SO THEY say... whoever "they" are...
Anyway...
Dust off the detectors... for the aftermath detecting...

Also... if it hits oceans... those "cuts" should be stellar. :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the precious metals that exist on Earth today may have been brought here by comets... SO THEY say... whoever "they" are...
Anyway...
Dust off the detectors... for the aftermath detecting...

Also... if it hits oceans... those "cuts" should be stellar. :)

I just have to put fresh batteries in mine and I'm good to go!
Maybe now I will find that piece of gold I've been searching for....of course if it lands on me, I won't have to look far...or dig.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm..massive earthquake just reported off the coast of Chili, with potential Tsumani's for Hawaii and West Coast. This should send the preppers spinning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread