CONTEST.......The Best Story About A Hunt

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bait and switch! Bait and switch!!
(wait a minute...I kinda like that set)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I haven't been able to post earlier, but this is true story.. OK, not as remarkable, or maybe as entertaining as some of the others here, but it's 100% true and one that I will always treasure..

As you probably well know I am not one of the more prolific hobbyists out there and my time metal detecting has never focused on finding anything of great value. I wish I was a bit more industrious in my efforts as I am a great history buff and would love to own some pieces of America past, whether a coin, or a great relic, I would cherish them all equally. Enough of that and on to the story.

As you may, or may not know, the Jersey shoreline has been home to many a pirate and legend of buried treasure. I think it's almost everyone's fantasy to have found a buried treasure chest full of loot. Well I can say that I have found mine on a beach in a small inlet in Sayerville, NJ.... I had originally posted this story on here sometime in early July 2009, so you can see the full story.

I guess my passion for enjoying the beach always outweighs my interest to hunt in the hot and humid summer. I hate the heat and would rather sit submerged in cold water during the summer months. Either that or I want the ability to strip off my skin and air out my bones to stay comfortable.

I believe that it was the week following July 4th when I went to the beach with one of my friends. We had picked this beach because that weekend the traffic and parking to all the other beaches made it impossible to visit them. This beach is a small and "free" public beach in New Jersey, that and the fact that not too many people visit it made it an ideal place to visit. OK, it doesn't have the cleanest water, but they do have showers so you can clean up before you leave. :icon_thumleft: The way I see it is, water is water and hopefully cool and refreshing.

Well like always we settled down for the day, having all the comforts of home you can bring i.e a great assortment of food, music, books, backgammon and cold water/sodas. This beach is small, maybe 300 yards long and and an average of 10-20 yards wide. After eating, drinking and swimming I decided to do a little metal detecting. I told my friend that I was off to find buried treasure.

I spent a good time walking along the shoreline and found a ton of lead sinkers and a few stray chewed up coins, so I decided to work the beach nearer the parking lot. Well about an hour or so into my hunt I got some really crazy reading with my detector. It was jumping around and showed a deep target which to me meant that it was garbage. Well not having anything else better to do I decided to dig and boy am I glad I did. About 7-8 inches down I finally hit a large piece of metal and from th looks of it, it just looked like an old big piece of rusted metal. Since I only had the corner, I wasn't able to raise it, so I had to dig more and I noticed that it was actually looking like some type of some tin container. When I finally was able to remove it I noticed that it had a good deal of weight to it and when I pulled it out I opened it to see a ton of JEWELERY :headbang:

Needless to say that I got excited and grabbed it up and ran to my friend who was deep in her book and I yelled I found buried treasure. She never looked up knowing that I am a practical joker. It wasn't until I tossed a necklace on her lap that I got her attention. This tin is about 9" L, 6" D, and 4" H stuffed with goodies. At first I thought there may have been some good pieces in there, but it was all costume jewelry. Ended up having a total of nearly 70 pieces of necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc in it.

OK, it may not be the find of the century, but it was good enough for me. I had a small crowd look at what I found and it was fun to see their reactions to my find as well. I always wondered if some kids buried it and forgot where they left it, as it seemed to been in the ground for a long time. To this date, this is still my best find, may not be of value, but the "true" story is certainly priceless to me.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my Blackberry

http://www.lunapic.com/pics/823/352/1940270898933987-t.gif

http://www302.lunapic.com/do-not-link-here-use-hosting-instead/127747805223334?1647228095

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now it is time to unveil my purpose and sudden arrival here. It is important to note that I am just the acting agent for another who I have known for many, many years. What I post now was given to me by him. I cannot make comment on the truth of the information within other then to say that I have never known the man to lie and that I personally would trust anything he told me as 100% fact. I can also atest to the fact the two discovered treasures spoken of were indeed found just as stated and that I have personally seen some of the wooden chest outlined below. All else, I can make no further comment on. Here is what I have been asked to post in this thread, not as an entry, but simply as a treasure story you may wish to read and take interest in;

His name is unimportant but his purpose is worthy of notice. Having lived a quiet life in pursuit of lost treasures he has seen many adventures and he has found many a cache. Now you won’t find him telling of these events for to do so would be the same as inviting misery and unwanted investigation into his quiet life. “Quiet” is the way he likes it, it’s the way it needs to be if he wishes to retain the many valuable objects within his personal possession. There are many who know of his adventuring spirit, they have seen him depart many times with the day of his return never certain. His dress is always casual, that of a comfortable hippie in ragged blue jeans, faded “T’s”, sandals, sunglasses and tattered ball cap. Very few know what he personally possesses, perhaps two or three but no more then that. Off the isle of Largo he discovered gold bars, on the isle of Pecan he discovered the same, similar discoveries were made near the isle of Caillou. But always upon his return he was dressed just the same as his departure, casual and comfortably ragged, though quite often more tanned. In 96 he unearthed a large cache of silver and gold coins in northern Wisconsin, in 98 he unearthed a silver statue, a past relic of a long forgotten frontier.

But it is his recent years that you should take much stronger notice, for in these years he has been busy putting some of it back, hidden in secret locations that he will someday reveal with riddle and clue, mysterious maps and challenging puzzles. In northern Michigan there already resides two small wooden chest sealed in plastic, inside these chest there is silver and gold jewelry, old coin from the past, and gemstones the size of a thumb. They have been there five years now, placed in the wild where not one would bother to look. Not long ago a young man discovered a birdhouse with fake hole hanging in a tree, imagine his surprise when he discovered that it was full of silver coin and silver and gold rings, Not far from Fort Wayne, Indiana, in a small county park a young lady discovered a plant of plastic mixed in with the natural foliage, upon removing the plant she discovered it’s long plastic root wrapped with old coin. These two discovers are 100% true, and there are many, many more just waiting to be found, while others have yet to be planted.

He will be departing again this July, in his possession he will bare two more small wooden chest filled with silver and gold, nobody will suspect what he is up to and he will once again bury these small fortunes in complete secrecy so others might find them. I can only tell you that he will be heading north, then west, and that he will be gone for nearly one week. Many will wonder why, some will wonder where, and yet most will simply disbelieve the truth in this tale, as is expected human nature. If it sounds too good to be true, then it must not be true, right? On the bottom of these small wooden chest there rest a simple mark, the black face of a pirate with two crossing swords. Pirate-X has been here and there and someday in the not too distant future you may hear of his tale, you may be witness to the discoveries that will start being made. All I can tell you is this, keep watch in these forums. It’s up to you what you wish to believe, it’s up to you to decide if you believe in Pirate-X and the possibility of his many real buried treasures. Fact or fiction? What will you allow yourself to believe?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I believe he should bury one in my back yard! :wink:

My apologies folks, I will not get to judging today and perhaps not tomorrow. My daughter rolled my pickup last night and Praise God her and her friends are all okay but I am just too rattle brained today to read through everything and make a good decision. Tomorrow I will be away from the computer. Jeffro and company are coming over tonight and we are planning to detect tomorrow at an old mining camp.....might be just the cure for what ails me at the moment....especially if we find a wooden chest full of gold! :tongue3: I will get back to you folks as soon as possible after that to announce a winner. I shall attach some pics of my purty...or formerly purty lil truck! :(

Attachments

• DSC04928.JPG
    DSC04928.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC04929.JPG
    DSC04929.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC04930.JPG
    DSC04930.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC04931.JPG
    DSC04931.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 225

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad all is safe and well! Hope you find bunches of goodies on your hunt! :thumbsup:
"Ice creme"...suddenly I'm in the mood for ice creme?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad everyone was ok! Purty lil pick-ups can be replaced, loved ones cannot.
We can wait, :icon_thumright:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I would give every lil purty vehicle I have ever owned for the knowledge my loved ones are safe. I am glad to see some folks understand that and don't encourage me to kill those loved ones that made it safely home. :wink: Yeah....folks have a hard time understanding why I am not furious....I am too busy being grateful and praising God I did not lose more loved ones last night.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seatbelt wearers I presume. So happy all is well.
When my older brother was young he and a friend got into a little rowboat on the Fox River in Wisconsin. The current ended up taking them out onto Lake Winnebago for a 21-hour boatride. No one knew where they were or what had happened to them. Mom was worried sick to say the least. The next morning she got a phone call telling her the boys had been found and all was well and that they had been out on the lake all night in a boat. She swore she was going to bust his butt when he got home. An hour or so later the state troopers pulled into the driveway. As my brother was getting out of the car she ran up to him, threw her arms around him and kissed him all over. Love her and hug her, the pickup is nothing. Congratulations on your good fortune!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My greatest fear in life is that I might lose one of my two sons before I go. We are best buds and I don't know if I could live with that. They have given me a few scares, to be sure, and they have tested me to great lengths when they were younger, but now days I can't kick either one of their butts and they're always around when I need them. Best investment in life is you children and family and close friends, all else is just replaceable stuff. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
thanks guys...I hugged them and cried when they got home then they took Dani over to the park. I will hug them and love on them more when I see them again! Thanks for the understanding!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AP.....I was looking at that orange bucket and scoop and I was picturing it filled with ice cream, nuts, hot fudge topping, whip cream, and a few big ol red cherries.....what do you think? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
bigscoop said:
AP.....I was looking at that orange bucket and scoop and I was picturing it filled with ice cream, nuts, hot fudge topping, whip cream, and a few big ol red cherries.....what do you think? :thumbsup:

I was picturing it full of 12 year old scotch.........no cherries. ;D

Cyn, you take your time & we'll let this run til Sunday evening. :icon_thumleft:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We understand and glad to here your daughter and Friends are OK!!!! Have fun tomorrow and Good luck!! HH chug and Red

P.S its been sunny and warm here for three days And I Am looking forward to several hours of hunting tomorrow!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, No........been quiet around here so I just stopped in to dust off the Judge's seat.
Hmmmmmm......someone put water in the cushion? :icon_scratch:
Damn'it!.............I better not get blamed for this! :o

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
No, No........been quiet around here so I just stopped in to dust off the Judge's seat.
Hmmmmmm......someone put water in the cushion? :icon_scratch:
Damn'it!.............I better not get blamed for this! :o

:laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread