Coppa Delivery Guy Strikes a Colonial Coppa

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
To the Forum: :thumbsup:

Hey, guys, what's up? Let me tell you, I had the fever super bad yesterday, so I decided to give treasure hunting a try. My uncle's Spanish wilver piece from Sunday had me in the Colonial mindset, so I decided to hit a site that produced some Colonial relics last Friday. Guess where I was heading, folks? Yup, yup (imitating John Walter) :tongue3: :D, I was going to try my luck, or skill, at the "Old Colonial Road" site. :wink: :thumbsup:

With my gear packed in, I had the usual KirkPA coppa-seeking-like smile on my jib. ;D :icon_pirat: Folks, my Colonial mind was a wonderin'! :D For the 20 minute trip to the site, I was focusing on how life was like in Colonial times. :icon_jokercolor: :tongue3: After about 5 minutes of this musing, I felt, not literally, like a Colonial dude who lived back in 1774. :tongue3: :D Through my mind, I played out a Colonial scene. :D

One scene...the year is 1774:

As the sun awoke from its nightly slumber, its rays graced their presence across my brow. :D At this moment in Time - I aroused my spirits with a little sip of the great awakener...a cup of tea. :P :tongue3: After I dranketh this brew, my attire was soon firmly pressed against my Colonial skin. :D :D As I walked out the dooreth, the sun blinded me, so being kind of an oaf, I tripped down the Colonial steps and tumbled across the yard. :D ;D After checking my Colonial clothing for damage, I did notice that a but-tin broketh off of my overcoat. :tongue3:

As the broked Colonial but-tin settles on the soil, I sauntered my way to my usual work area. :tongue3: :tard: :D I had to till my ancient soil, indeed. With my tools in hand, I started to churn the ground. :thumbsup: After turning the ground for about 13 hours, my arms finally started to weaken. That was when, with my coin pouch on my person, I fell over in exhaustion...losing a coin. :headbang:

Not knowing I lost the coin, because I would have hunted for it for hours, if I had known, I decided to go in for the night. With bread on the Colonial table, I woofed down a whole loaf and consumed a whole pint of dirty river water. :D

Now'eth, to my bed for a slumber... :icon_study: :tongue3:

Back to 2008:

I was at the site of the dwelling and my detector was juiced up...ready for some analog sweeping, baby! I started out in the area of the iron patch and worked it like a pro. After about 10 minutes, I had a nice button and a dropped musketball. Then, 30 minutes into my hunt, I was detecting where I visualized the barn would have been located, when I received a nice "P" on "Penny" hit. Knowing that this is a good sig, I pinpointed the target at a depth of 2.5" and like John Walter would have done, I dug the doyt (dirt) out...a GREEN disc, baby! I picked it up and yelled out, "Coppa!" Oops, no one was here to congratulate me on my find. The coppa turned out to be a King George II coppa! Yeah, BABY! The coin is at least a mid-1700s coppa! :thumbsup:

I was pumped up, dudes! I worked the area hard then and was greeted some numerous flat buttons. The wilver plated one had me pumped...I thought it was Spanish wilver at 1st, but then saw that it was a button (you should have heard the word I blurted out)! :D ;D

Folks, this small dwelling has treated me well. I found numerous artifacts at this site and the coppa just put the icing on the caaaaake! Folks, my Colonial blood has been warmed, not with a heater, but with a King George coppa! :tongue3: :D

Keep the passion high! :icon_queen:

Kirk

P.S. The coppa is barely identifiable, but if you look closely, you will see the bust facing left. ;D It ain't about the condition of the coin, it's about the history! :wink: :)

coppa001-1.jpg

Upvote 0

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done KirkPA nice finds.WTG my friend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah kirk !

nice find, that colonial road is still giving it up - congrats !

(nice story too)

take care,

kevin

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
vpone said:
yeah kirk !

nice find, that colonial road is still giving it up - congrats !

(nice story too)

take care,

kevin

Kevin,

Thanks, man, that site is still producing! I found myself a small dwelling that is giving up some nice relics.

I hope you and Paco get out on Sunday and strike some old coins!

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Way to go Kirky poo. How many does that make you for the year? Eloquent story by the way. It had me living the experience with that bumbler from the past.You trully missed your calling. That place is still producing. For a fall back area it still seems virgin.What a way to start the colonial week. Congratulations Kirk.
Uncle Zeus
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Way to go Kirky poo. How many does that make you for the year? Eloquent story by the way. It had me living the experience with that bumbler from the past.You trully missed your calling. That place is still producing. For a fall back area it still seems virgin.What a way to start the colonial week. Congratulations Kirk.
Uncle Zeus
:thumbsup:

CSZ,

"That is what I am after. 200 year old coins. Yup. Yup." :D I now have 2 coppas for the year.

The coppa is sweet, but it don't compare to your Spanish wilver! I bet you are still looking at it! :D :thumbsup:

The site is huge, but there are virgin areas all over.

This coming Sunday is going to be a good one! We must find some more coppas...or another Spanish coin! :wink: :thumbsup:

Kirk

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story again Kirk, you are right about history over condition, but it is nice to find good shaped ones every now and then. :) The backmarked button looks like it was a William Wallis button, Birmingham, UK; era 1790-1830.

Don

Psssssssst, found a copper yesterday that might be a 3 way one, a KG, a Liberty Cap/Draped Bust and a Coronet type, all rolled into one! ???

Don

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don in SJ said:
Good story again Kirk, you are right about history over condition, but it is nice to find good shaped ones every now and then. :) The backmarked button looks like it was a William Wallis button, Birmingham, UK; era 1790-1830.

Don

Don,

Hey, thanks for the reply. It sure is nice to find them in great condition, but in my area, these are mostly what they look like. Oh well, I love the history of them! :thumbsup:

Thanks on the button identification! :) This site was probably settled from 1790ish-1830ish. I have found numerous black glass pieces and non-glazed pottery in this area. :)

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :thumbsup: :coffee2:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
The backmarked button looks like it was a William Wallis button

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Looks like some good digs. Relics are great and many times better than coins but it is always nice to find a really old coin. :)

KirkPA said:
It ain't about the condition of the coin, it's about the history! :wink: :)

Not true. The level of the thrill is very dependent on the condition of the coin. And of coarse the coin itself (whether you have found one before, what your expectations are for finding that type of coin, etc.) But finding the coin in whatever condition is still better than not finding any coin. :wink:

Bob

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
WTG! Nice colonial copper! Come on you can tell us what word you said. :wink: Anyways great find! Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Mirage said:
Looks like some good digs. Relics are great and many times better than coins but it is always nice to find a really old coin. :)

KirkPA said:
It ain't about the condition of the coin, it's about the history! :wink: :)

Not true. The level of the thrill is very dependent on the condition of the coin. And of coarse the coin itself (whether you have found one before, what your expectations are for finding that type of coin, etc.) But finding the coin in whatever condition is still better than not finding any coin. :wink:

Bob

Thanks, Bub, for the reply. Maybe to you, finding a coppa in great condition is utmost, but for me, it ain't about that. When I find a Colonial, the thrill is knowing that I am the next person to hold that coin after some baboon lost it 200+ years ago. :icon_sunny:

Give me one slug Colonial coppa over an AU-50 Barber dime! :wink: Colonials, baby! :D

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Detectingfreak said:
WTG! Nice colonial copper! Come on you can tell us what word you said. :wink: Anyways great find! Happy Hunting!

Only the geese that were flying overhead at the time heard what I yelled. :wink: :D Oh well, my Spanish wilver, hopefully, will come this year! ;D

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :thumbsup: :headbang:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Kirk

I don't think I can hold out much hope of finding a Copper of that age and quality nor Spanish Silver for that matter.......

But I'm still diggin

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Don in SJ said:
The backmarked button looks like it was a William Wallis button

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

LOL, not THAT William Wallis :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread