Copper Field gives up another LARGE COPPER

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back out to the copper field today. Very chilly when I started the hunt (8:30). It was about 35 degrees. After the sun rose a little further it warmed up and I got a little more comfortable. The first hour of the hunt was pretty uneventful but then I got a nice quarter hit on my DFX. I pinpointed the signal and the depth was about 5 1/2 inches. I felt pretty confident that I had something good when I began to dig. This signal was exactly the same as the 1847 Large Cent signal I dug a couple hunts ago. Sure enough, up comes this 1846 Braided hair Large cent. :o ;D At this point I began trash talking to imaginary people (I was after all hunting by myself)........Hey give me a break, I had to brag to somebody. ;D Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera out into the field today so no action shots of the coin in the hole (sorry). Here is what the coin looked like when I got it home (uncleaned obviously). I am currently soaking it in hot peroxide (Don's method) and i will post better pics in a little while. NOTE: BETTER PICTURES NOW ATTACHED AT END OF POST....

Obverse
IMG_0943.JPG

Reverse
IMG_0944.JPG

I found this coin about 25 to 30 feet from where i found the 1847 large cent so I decided to concentrate my efforts here for a while. It paid off about 5 minutes later when i dug this button. It has a very nice design on the front and a backmark, which i cant read yet. (It's currently soaking with the coin.)

IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG

The next find was this thingamajig. I have no idea what it is. It appears to be made out of brass and has a very ornate design on it. If anybody has any ideas as to what this might be, I'd appreciate any input. I included a picture of it with the large cent for size comparison.

IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

The finds in this area began to dwindle so I decided to head into another field. I parked the quad about halfway in the field and began to swing the coil in the direction of the far end of the field. After walking a good 100 to 150 yards I began to pick up some iron hits, the first of which was this nice stirrup. It appears to be in pretty good shape.

IMG_0946.JPG

The next iron hit was literally an iron hit. I dug this old flat iron at about 4 inches. This thing weighs a ton. I had to walk back to the quad and leave it there. There was no way that thing could fit in my pouch.

IMG_0948.JPG

I was beginning to think I stumbled onto another home site because I started to find some silverware. None of the silverware was intact....just pieces.

IMG_0945.JPG

The next hit was another axe head. These people go through axes like i go through socks. I've found 4 or 5 at this site so far. Then again it's a big site and they probably weren't all lost by the same person.

IMG_0949.JPG

The next find was a harmonica reed.....my first ;D.

IMG_0950.JPG

Here is one more picture of the days overall take. You'll notice alot of pottery shards and some glass. These were all eyeball finds in the same area that I was finding all of the iron. I only picked up a few pieces. It was lying all over the place. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Check this post later and I will have updated it with cleaned pictures of the coin and button.

IMG_0938.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
I'm a few days late on this post... and when I saw it... WOW!

OUTSTANDING collection of finds!

Reliclicious...
Very creative adjective Jim. I might have to use that one sometime....Reliclicious!! ;D LMAO

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Rob, when are you heading back to this field? Damn, how many coppas is that from this site?

Kirk
8 1/2 coppas (9 if you count the cut one as one coppa) They are as follows.....1786 Vermont, 1787 Vermont, no date King George II, 2 no detail coppas, 1 cut no detail coppa, 1828 coronet large cent, 1846 braided hair large cent (tall date variety), 1847 braided hair large cent. I'm hoping to get back out there Thursday or Friday (my days off this week) but I have alot to do and may not be able to make the trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread