Cordless headphones on sale at radio shack. Gonna try it out

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
After my first set that came with my EX2 broke, (the koss plug) I looked into cordless ones. From reading on here it seems that the radio shack model 33-1253 may fit the bill. I went to my local radio shack and found that they are having a sale on them till the 21st of June. So i bought a set for 39.99 normally at 59.00. So im going to try them out. If not they said i could return them within 30 days. I also bought a new plug for the koss headphones for 3.99.

Would anyone else like to comment on these headphones? I have a few hours till they are fully charged and ready to go!

Upvote 0

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope they work well, please let us know.

OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Well,
I went out for about a half an hour and found 7 pennies with the new headphone. I think there a keeper. It was so refreshing to have no cord. FREEEEDOMMMM!!!!!
I think the sound was more crisper than the koss that i had before. It really sped up my recovery time.

I may pick up a second set before the sale ends. Now it says that there is approximately 7-8 hours for it to last so i think that may be a down fall. But if i know im detecting ill just make sure they are charged.

Ill try again Friday and see how well it works for a half a day of digging.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
rayray3 said:
After my first set that came with my EX2 broke, (the koss plug) I looked into cordless ones. From reading on here it seems that the radio shack model 33-1253 may fit the bill. I went to my local radio shack and found that they are having a sale on them till the 21st of June. So i bought a set for 39.99 normally at 59.00. So im going to try them out. If not they said i could return them within 30 days. I also bought a new plug for the koss headphones for 3.99.

Would anyone else like to comment on these headphones? I have a few hours till they are fully charged and ready to go!
rayray3: I may be wrong about this but I think that you are operating from a false assumption. You think that you can use the Radio Shack headphones with your metal detector in the field. But the Radio Shack website says something about enjoying your favorite music with them.

What I think the headphones are, they are to be used at home. With cordless anything, you need a transmitter first and foremost. Unless you have one of those cordless headphones that incorporate an FM radio. The Radio Shack headphones must come with a transmitter that also requires power, usually an A.C. transformer - NOT batteries, which also plugs into the headphone jack. If it is this, the headphones cannot be used outside of the home, in the field.

There are cordless heaphones that operate fully in the field since the transformer also operates on batteries and I still have mine somewhere in the apartment. It is called "The Bridge" or something similar. It was a small, FM radio size transmitter. I don't remember if an FM radio was needed to tune to the transmitting signal or it was a self-contained system.

But what I'm trying to point out is that in order to have cordless headphones you need a transmitter, such as those advertised to be used with your tv which requires a transmitter. I'm not referring to cordless headphones that have a built-in radio. That's a different animal and is not suitable for detecting needs as you need a transmitter from the detector to the headphones.

If you're not confused, I hope the above helps.

Silver Fox

After I wrote the above I looked at the product a little closer and short of actually going to Radio Shack and holding the package in my hand to see what it includes, I may be wrong about it. However, I did read the reviews and not one reviewer was happy with this product all of them citing quality problems, with extremely low battery life, low volume, sound effects, etc. Probably, for your needs if it works 100% in the field, a better price would have been $19.95. For such a price I might pick 'em up. But since the reviewers all seem to agree that it's an inferior product, the price being asked is way too high.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
The Radio Shack Cordless Phones work great.....

I have two pairs and that's all I use, I do carry my Troy Headphones just incase I need them. They will run for 6-7 hours of hunting and do a great job. The Radko Shack headphones are light, you can wear them for hours, the transmitter is small and you can velcro it to your control box. I use them on my Xterras and wouldn't use any other type. The sales clerk at RS said they wouldn't work on a metal detector but I know guys that use them all the time, try them, you will like them. Mine cost $59 and bought a used pair (like new) for $25....

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Radio Shack Cordless Phones work great.....

TexasDigger1 said:
I have two pairs and that's all I use, I do carry my Troy Headphones just incase I need them. They will run for 6-7 hours of hunting and do a great job. The Radko Shack headphones are light, you can wear them for hours, the transmitter is small and you can velcro it to your control box. I use them on my Xterras and wouldn't use any other type. The sales clerk at RS said they wouldn't work on a metal detector but I know guys that use them all the time, try them, you will like them. Mine cost $59 and bought a used pair (like new) for $25....

I also have 2 pairs of them Rado Shacks wireless earphones. They work great (for the money) and do last 6-7 hours. I have never had any trouble with them. If you do by RS be sure you buy the warranty.

Beachnick

Greenie
Jun 3, 2008
Miami Beach
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 Classic ID.5
Hey all...well let me get my 2';cents worth..I also have a pair of the same headsets from RS and they work great and the sound is crystal clear,I velcroed the transmitter to my box and there ya go...had them for 6 months now,what a freedom....Beachnick.

seinohio

Greenie
Jun 22, 2007
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i,F75
Had mine for several months. Have only used them a few times, but they worked great when I used them. Like another said, velcroed the transmitter to my MD so I can easily transfer the transmitter from one MD to another. Don't know how well they will last or just how long they will keep a charge.

OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
I dont notice any delays with the headphones. If there is then its either so slight that it doesn't matter. Im pinpointing in the same place as a corded headset.
I enjoy detecting even more now with my headset. I think my recovery time is just a bit faster without getting the cord in my way.
Going to the beach this weekend with them. See how they work with louder environments.

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do those headphones us the FM band 88-108 mhz or some other frequency? I have been using cordless ones for about 5 years but they use the FM band and tuning around the radio stations is a pain.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I've never had any problems with radio stations, I guess it's because they run at 2.4GHz. HH

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I finally visited my local Radio Shack branch and they do have the heaphones for the full price of $59.99 plus tax. Two things I didn't like: the price and the above-the-ear attachment. If they had been designed as regular over-the-head-band headphones that would be a plus. Also, and this is just my weird thinking, if they had a separate jack so that one could plug in earbuds then I would definitely spend the money.

I'll wait until the price is lower, such as closeout, and I might get a pair as cordless is certainly an attraction.

However, with my present setup where my Land Star is going to be on my hip with the headphone jack just a couple of feet from my ears, then my present earbuds are sufficient and the cordless feature is unnecessary.

Silver Fox

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
well im not sure they cover all ear doh,but i will give them a shot..bit pricey still

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Silver Fox said:
I finally visited my local Radio Shack branch and they do have the heaphones for the full price of $59.99 plus tax. Two things I didn't like: the price and the above-the-ear attachment. If they had been designed as regular over-the-head-band headphones that would be a plus. Also, and this is just my weird thinking, if they had a separate jack so that one could plug in earbuds then I would definitely spend the money.

I'll wait until the price is lower, such as closeout, and I might get a pair as cordless is certainly an attraction.

However, with my present setup where my Land Star is going to be on my hip with the headphone jack just a couple of feet from my ears, then my present earbuds are sufficient and the cordless feature is unnecessary.

Silver Fox

Funny you mentioned the over the ear attachment feature...I tried these headphones...worked great...never noticed any delay with them either...but I ended up returning them because of the ear "hooks"...they drove me crazy...and interfered with sunglasses... 8) ..if they had designed them like regular headphones I'd have kept them...I also remember reading somewhere they might not work with all detectors..why I don't know...might be worth it to some to try them out...can always return 'em...

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Copperhead said:
[Silver Fox] Funny you mentioned the over the ear attachment feature...I tried these headphones...worked great...never noticed any delay with them either...but I ended up returning them because of the ear "hooks"...they drove me crazy...and interfered with sunglasses... 8) ..if they had designed them like regular headphones I'd have kept them...I also remember reading somewhere they might not work with all detectors..why I don't know...might be worth it to some to try them out...can always return 'em...
Not that I'm poor and can't afford to spend $60+. But like I said, I don't really need it. However, I'd buy it to experiment with. I thought that one can buy the headphones and remove the innards and put them in a little plastic box and connect a headphone jack to the speakers so that one can plug in regular headphones or earbuds. I'm an earbuds person. Then you could put the little plastic box in a breast pocket and enjoy the cordless benefit. I'll wait until a pair appears in a local thrift store for a few dollars.

Silver Fox

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Most everything from Radio Shack is crap. I've purchased everything from guitar cables to stereos to RC cars and, yes, even once, a metal detector. It's all cheaply made and overpriced. For your sake, I really hope you do well with those headphones long-term. Instead of buying an overpriced pair of headphones with an option for a warrenty, I'd recommend buying a set somewhere else where you get a warrenty for nothing because that company knows they have a quality product.

But what do I know.

Joe

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
twistidd said:
Most everything from Radio Shack is crap. I've purchased everything from guitar cables to stereos to RC cars and, yes, even once, a metal detector. It's all cheaply made and overpriced. For your sake, I really hope you do well with those headphones long-term. Instead of buying an overpriced pair of headphones with an option for a warrenty, I'd recommend buying a set somewhere else where you get a warrenty for nothing because that company knows they have a quality product.

But what do I know.
Joe
Joe, I'll answer your last question first. You don't know much.

I've been buying at Radio Shack since 1958 (starting in their first store in Boston) and now there's a branch a couple of blocks from me. There is no doubt that SOME of R.S.'s merchandise may be cheaply made and, sometimes, overpriced. But in the end they give good value for the money and their store policy of accepting returns for full refunds is better than most. Radio Shack has changed just as all long-time businesses have changed. Since nothing is made in America any longer, everyone imports so you find cheaply made merchandise everywhere including Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Marshall's, Walmart, etc. Even SONY's stuff is made in China, Malaysia, etc.

And the thread is about cordless headphones, not regular headphones where what you say makes sense. Radio Shack's cordless headphones seem to be exclusive as no one, presently, is offering them. So if one wants them, R.S. is the only source and criticism goes out the window.

As I said, Radio Shack should offer the electronics in a small plastic box so that one can use them with your "quality product" one's already bought product such as my earbuds.

Don't put Radio Shack down 100%, maybe 15%.

Silver Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread