Couple of quick thoughts on the Minelab Equinox 600

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After swinging on the beach, in the saltwater, at a local park, and today in a farm field, I am prepared to say the Equinox is the best “All Around” park; beach; and field metal detector I have ever used. It is not as deep as the CTX 3030, or E-Trac, but it’s close with the stock coil. It is better in heavy park trash than both of it’s higher-priced cousins, and lighter.

At US$650.00 the Equinox 600 is hands down the best metal detector in its price range. It replaces several of my tried and true Tesoro machines, including the Cibola; Vaquero; Outlaw; Tejon; Sand Shark; and Tiger Shark. If you’re counting, that's six-different machines. With the Equinox 600 capable of running three single frequencies (5kHz; 10kHz; 15kHz), and in Multi-frequency mode, it obsoletes all six of these Tesoro machines, and dozens of other great detectors, including the AT Pro; AT Max; Whites MXT Sport; Fisher F75; and on and on!

The machine does get chatty in heavy trash, and you need to understand the tones and numbers to be precise with it. Pinpointing is much harder than with Tesoro machines. Again, it takes time to understand targets are picked up on the coil edges first, and then in the coil center. Discrimination and recovery speed are awesome. I would put this machine up against any Tesoro machine for speed and discrimination, and I’ve never said that before about ANY machine. I have found a ton of clad and a silver Merc, so far, and I have only hit well hunted, trash filled locations – on purpose. Looking forward to the weather getting better and better, and hopefully a large cut at Jones Beach after Friday’s storm! :skullflag:

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing! Every post you post makes me just more and more excited for my Eq600!!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry:

Will you still be reviewing the Makro Multi Kruzer, and is Dilek going to be sending you one?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one do put value on Terry's thoughts on this, and after reading his post, it does speak REALLY well of the EQ. I do have a question for you Terry, (or anyone else) for what circumstance might I use a single Freq, in 10 or 15KHz. My hunting would most likely be in Multi 95% of the time. I would have use for 5KHz, and if using a 800 model, the 20 or 40 would be more for playing around with in some places. but the 10?, 15?, Either one would be good for general hunting if that's all you had available with a different detector, but with the EQ the Multi would be the choice. Any thoughts?

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like terry just put EVERY American manufacture of metal detectors on notice...

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like terry just put EVERY American manufacture of metal detectors on notice...step up or.......step down...

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
I actually agree with the gent.
Lot of performance (wide range application) with either of the Nox models.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry:

Will you still be reviewing the Makro Multi Kruzer, and is Dilek going to be sending you one?

Yes. I have been talking with Dilek, and she will be sending me a machine to review. I told her that once I finish my examination and review of the Kruzer, I want to give it away here on T-Net. I think she likes that idea. Once Makro gets all the pre-orders out to their dealers, they'll ship one to me. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I for one do put value on Terry's thoughts on this, and after reading his post, it does speak REALLY well of the EQ. I do have a question for you Terry, (or anyone else) for what circumstance might I use a single Freq, in 10 or 15KHz. My hunting would most likely be in Multi 95% of the time. I would have use for 5KHz, and if using a 800 model, the 20 or 40 would be more for playing around with in some places. but the 10?, 15?, Either one would be good for general hunting if that's all you had available with a different detector, but with the EQ the Multi would be the choice. Any thoughts?

I was playing with the single-freqs today at a local park. I believe after the short test today, that in some cases you may get more depth on certain high conductors with the 5kHz, and on lower conductors like gold and platinum jewelry with the 10- and 15-kHz settings. Still learning the machine, but I think I may be on to something.:skullflag:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like terry just put EVERY American manufacture of metal detectors on notice...step up or.......step down...

Honestly, I'm sad that Tesoro could not get a machine like this to market. I really thought Vince, and his talented crew in Prescott, would give us a waterproof multi-freq machine when the Company announced the "Cazador." I can't really say what, but there are some big changes about to happen at Tesoro. It is my sincere hope my friend Vince, can create a machine to compete with the Equinox. :skullflag:

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an very helpful review thank you , i had read else where that the 600 wasnt as adapt at searching in saltwater and for that reason hadnt considered it over the 800. Am i wrong or does the 600 only come with wired headphones ?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things must have happened in order for Terry to make this post and come to the Dark Side

DA91C1D6-054E-4396-9D53-4F604CFB5DB9.jpeg

8C5D25A0-7068-4932-8A7A-2CDEF947C385.jpeg

It pretty obvious #3 for me is to buy a lotto ticket, a cold beer and an Equinox

Cheers Terry and thanx for your reviews

‘Scoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I'm sad that Tesoro could not get a machine like this to market. I really thought Vince, and his talented crew in Prescott, would give us a waterproof multi-freq machine when the Company announced the "Cazador." I can't really say what, but there are some big changes about to happen at Tesoro. It is my sincere hope my friend Vince, can create a machine to compete with the Equinox. :skullflag:

The boys at Garrett need to start taking some serious R & D notes on how to move forward. The Equinox just replaced all 3 of their money makers then some in one machine.

3853F62A-917B-40F1-BC00-CC7844FEF2F6.jpeg
CC81A7B1-8F77-40B3-87C3-95ACFCD66E95.jpeg

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats an very helpful review thank you , i had read else where that the 600 wasnt as adapt at searching in saltwater and for that reason hadnt considered it over the 800. Am i wrong or does the 600 only come with wired headphones ?

The 600 comes with wired headphones. It is FANTASTIC in Beach mode! :skullflag:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. I have been talking with Dilek, and she will be sending me a machine to review. I told her that once I finish my examination and review of the Kruzer, I want to give it away here on T-Net. I think she likes that idea. Once Makro gets all the pre-orders out to their dealers, they'll ship one to me. :skullflag:

3B560477-E584-4074-8B30-E8CBD403298D.jpeg

Terry you are like the guy who always ate Tri-Tip and has now discovered other cuts of meat they like as well or better..

I appreciate your input on the forum...ALWAYS

Keep up the great work!

‘Scoop

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am starting to think that the EQ600 will be a beach hunters go to machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it will do well at the beach also.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Terry. You really have to stop talking like this about the equinox, it hard enough to get one.:laughing7:
Do You not have any buyers remorse with going the 600 rather than the 800?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let’s see if it can take a beating from the heavy daily users. It does look a little flimsy to me.

Kind of like the professional Digital cameras vs. consumers and prosumers.

The number of shutter opening and closures on the Nikon cameras between the professial and consumer was Night and day difference. Even when they(cameras) looked the same their body and guts were 100% different.

Only time will tell. They had to cut some corners since the CTX. Th eprice difference is HUGE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread