Crazy Things I Never Knew

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Shortstack said:
A crazy thing I never knew......until I started researching history for THing.

A small, little known Indian tribe in northeast area of Texas regularly practiced cannibalism back in the 1800s.

Hmmmmm....was it near Calvert?......Texan Connection,I might cancel my plans to come see you :D :D :D :D

or else I can bring the sauce.......LOL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mental granny said:
Now THAT is something I had never heard before!

About 20 or 25 years ago, while doing some research in Oklahoma State Archives in OKC, I found these folks written about, but don't recall the pubs. May have been a back issue of the state historical pubs. Anyway, these Indians were so lazy, they wouldn't even farm their own food. If they caught a stray white man or Indian out hunting alone, they were known to often kill the person and build a fire for a quick meal. This is not a joke. If I can find my notes on it, I'll post the reference. They were shunned by EVERYBODY. Wonder why. ;D They drifted around in the general area of northeast Texas / southeast Oklahoma.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I think I may have learned this here on TNet:
Why Pirates wore eye patches. No, they didn't all have an eye poked out. It's so that when they were out as sea (with substantial light/glare) they could board a ship and go below deck (very little light) and shift the patch to opposite eye and that eye wouldn't have to adjust to the lack of light.
I thought it was neat to learn, and timely for those who's kids are dressed as pirates this Halloween.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Shortstack said:
mental granny said:
Now THAT is something I had never heard before!

About 20 or 25 years ago, while doing some research in Oklahoma State Archives in OKC, I found these folks written about, but don't recall the pubs. May have been a back issue of the state historical pubs. Anyway, these Indians were so lazy, they wouldn't even farm their own food. If they caught a stray white man or Indian out hunting alone, they were known to often kill the person and build a fire for a quick meal. This is not a joke. If I can find my notes on it, I'll post the reference. They were shunned by EVERYBODY. Wonder why. ;D They drifted around in the general area of northeast Texas / southeast Oklahoma.

Well....not to sidetrack my own thread....but if you are talking about the Karankawa that isnt quite true...Many tribes ate (or tasted) the dead of their enemies in belief of their magical power and that it would prevent their enemy from having a second life,something most Indians believed in....but Europeans made up up alot of false and horrific stories about the Indians because they wanted them dead or feared....why?....because they wanted their land

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
NHbenz said:
I think I may have learned this here on TNet:
Why Pirates wore eye patches. No, they didn't all have an eye poked out. It's so that when they were out as sea (with substantial light/glare) they could board a ship and go below deck (very little light) and shift the patch to opposite eye and that eye wouldn't have to adjust to the light.
I thought it was neat to learn, and timely for those who's kids are dressed as pirates this Halloween.

You know...this could be great for those of us who go into caves,cellars and rabbit holes.....

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
"The Optomotor" :wink:
(modified, due to a minor typo that makes all the difference)
Gypsy, I think we might want to keep our ideas private going forward! :P :D

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
You can calculate the temperature outside by the frequency of cricket chirps; for degrees Fahrenheit count the number of chirps (of a single cricket) for 14 seconds, then add 40. (ex. 25 chirps+40 = 65° F)
Of course this wont work below 40°, so at that point you just know it's too dang cold.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
NHbenz said:
so does this mean our schematics for the deep seeking digging machine should be kept quiet until the patent goes through?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know I love Holidays ? All of them!

Attachments

• boo4.gif
    boo4.gif
    66.8 KB · Views: 253

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Gypsy Witch said:
NHbenz said:
so does this mean our schematics for the deep seeking digging machine should be kept quiet until the patent goes through?
SShhush!!! :D

M

Mike(Mont)

If all the electrons in your little toe were each the size of a grain of sand, they would cover the earth four feet deep!

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
Gypsy Heart said:
Cheyenne told me last night that a fish has an attention span of 3 seconds?

How do they know these things is right......

One word Internet. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread