Crowdsourcing to uncover the history that lies hidden beneath the waves.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
This project needs a name. Then we need to implement the PROJECT CLOUD. There are offers for a cloud on the table from GOOGLE and from MICROSOFT. I am no expert on cloud building, so there we need another expert participant.

Let's vote for a project name.
Suggestions are welcome. Here are a few:

Davy Jones Locker (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones'_Locker
The history that lies hidden beneath the waves
Ocean Memory
The Sea Remembers

I like Davy Jone's locker or Ocean Memory

The history thing is too long
Seem to remember a book with the title "The sea remembers", so it is probably copyright.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
One more post and I'll leave the thread to those who would search for wrecks to recover from.
As a landlubber it's out of my realm,with minor possible exception.
When looking at potential success in a business, look to it's management. There is an important part of it's vested interest.
Inefficiency and poor working of war/chess board and contingencies when a move fails, can be fatal. Sometimes fast and other times agonizingly slow.
Temporary or more permanent replacements need to be up to speed, or a simple plan to get them there pronto.
Mission, research,plan,resources,work.
Voids in critical, (and all should be or why do they exist) positions are filled from the ranks or outside them depending on? Who is groomed how for what through cross training or previous skill sets or advancement/education through the ranks? Not with just a body, but a passion for the task.
Just as important and often a contention is the least involved in management. The lowest on the totem pole plucking one note on one string. If they are hitting the right note and smiling they are among the top assets.
When asked what is wrong with the operation or what can be improved,often the insight is not recognized by management in a failing field.
It is not required to attend to all concerns, opinions and beliefs off all members but they need to be known.
Having worked with crews that could turn the world with a proper handle and still have the company need to change hands repeatedly till failing ,(hey I bailed before the sinking, it was very obvious, voiced by myself as constructively as possible at the time, and ignored by most) being disjointed and disconnected from the common actual worker in the arena is not a group effort.
A one sided perspective perhaps but not uninformed as to actual causes,mostly of wasted monies and too great a spread of actual management over multiple locations and no consistent practices of knowing what is going on at all ends due to no committed attention beyond paper results.
Those who treat it as simply a job vs those who approach their work with a true passion are very different over time as well.
While full time attention is needed ,at times for long periods, being able to "change hats" and decompress is vital to avoid burnout and mutiny.
Sometimes answers to questions arrive after not dwelling on them intently for a while.
Besides;life has a balance.
Keep it fun all; and it may seem less difficult.

A lot of wise words

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Looking at the challenges.

The documentation about the shipwreck tells us the following :

The ship hit a rock, then got off and drifted away. It became soon apparent that she was sinking so the evacuation started immediately. People were embarked in the boat and rowed to a small sand island near the rock. In the meantime the rest of the people on board were bringing the treasure up from the hold and stacking it on the deck, to be disembarked.
The boat made several trips with the people. During this time, the ship drifted in the current at about
1.2kn. Each trip to the island took longer.
Some of the sailors had gotten hold of the Rum and were getting drunk.
Finally, there were few people left and the shipping of the treasure could start.
The first chest of gold coins was lowered down to the boat. The boat was going up and down with the sea, now that the ship was out of the lee of the island.
The second chest of gold coins was lowered down. Something went wrong and the chest of gold coins fell into the sea.
Then the ship sank with all the treasure stacked on the deck, but the people were saved.

Now, let's look at the challenges of recovering that treasure.

The position of the shipwreck is quite accurately defined by the survivors accounts that mention the rock that the ship hit and the time the ship was drifting.
The bottom is sloping, so the depth is not well defined because of possible time-distance variations, as the time was not exactly clocked and the current varies in the lee of the island.

The treasure does not lie inside the shipwreck but the chests are scattered over a distance of maybe several hundreds of feet. This would make the treasure site to look about like the site of the ''Mercedes''.

The ship itself sank with all it's anchors and many iron cannon so it is an easy target for a magnetometer.
The exact constitution of the sea bottom is not known at this point, so we don't know if the wreck site would be easy to be found by sidescan.

Who wants to be part of this project?
What would you guys recommend ? How would you solve the challenges ?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the challenges.

The documentation about the shipwreck tells us the following :

The ship hit a rock, then got off and drifted away. It became soon apparent that she was sinking so the evacuation started immediately. People were embarked in the boat and rowed to a small sand island near the rock. In the meantime the rest of the people on board were bringing the treasure up from the hold and stacking it on the deck, to be disembarked.
The boat made several trips with the people. During this time, the ship drifted in the current at about
1.2kn. Each trip to the island took longer.
Some of the sailors had gotten hold of the Rum and were getting drunk.
Finally, there were few people left and the shipping of the treasure could start.
The first chest of gold coins was lowered down to the boat. The boat was going up and down with the sea, now that the ship was out of the lee of the island.
The second chest of gold coins was lowered down. Something went wrong and the chest of gold coins fell into the sea.
Then the ship sank with all the treasure stacked on the deck, but the people were saved.

Now, let's look at the challenges of recovering that treasure.

The position of the shipwreck is quite accurately defined by the survivors accounts that mention the rock that the ship hit and the time the ship was drifting.
The bottom is sloping, so the depth is not well defined because of possible time-distance variations, as the time was not exactly clocked and the current varies in the lee of the island.

The treasure does not lie inside the shipwreck but the chests are scattered over a distance of maybe several hundreds of feet. This would make the treasure site to look about like the site of the ''Mercedes''.

The ship itself sank with all it's anchors and many iron cannon so it is an easy target for a magnetometer.
The exact constitution of the sea bottom is not known at this point, so we don't know if the wreck site would be easy to be found by sidescan.

Who wants to be part of this project?
What would you guys recommend ? How would you solve the challenges ?

Depth of water ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp...
You can count me out "going down"... heh

Tis a shame... would love... to be loved :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Too deep for me I'm afraid. Up to 300 ft is doable, depending on water clarity and temp.......

I do tend to agree with old man in terms of a hands on shallower water salvage to start us off in an area where our initial need for being inexpensive can be best put to good use,

An ROV project needs a big well funded team that will only come to us if we find some stuff shallower

I feel bad about being negative but a slow build of a very solid team taking baby steps with some success along the way cannot fail. I just can't see so many people signing on day 1 for a huge expensive project which all ROV jobs are by virtue of their needs.

I think a tiny trusted team moving forward and growing slowly ( or really quickly if we recover some good stuff) works best for me.....

I keep thinking of the people that say," yea it's right there 30 ft under the ground," and when you ask if it has been recovered they either change the subject or go quiet.

Unless we recover something I don't think we will get any real worthwhile interest in this the way I Know Treasure diver can visualize, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

First though, we HAVE to have success somehow........

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest I have been in my life is 110.

And I have a great deal/part of my life in less than 50.

I am a shallow water master... and expert diver...
With... or... without gear/air.

Anyway... BLAH BLAH BLAH... ME me me... I ... I...

:P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhhh I don't know why I am interested in these things anymore...
I have been thinking...
I might retire...

Selll the boat...
Selll the gear...
Selll my metal detectors and gear...
Selll my finds....

And go into treasure hunting... :) .... :) ............ :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Archie,

Any team we create is gonna need humour otherwise it's all work and no play......and we all know that makes Jack ( or Archie) a dull boy.......

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430581406.421888.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humor is life.

Go outside and take a good look around if you do not believe me. :P

OR... in Sadds case... :)..... :) just look in mirror :P

Sorry sadds I could not resist :)

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Too deep for me I'm afraid. Up to 300 ft is doable, depending on water clarity and temp.......

I do tend to agree with old man in terms of a hands on shallower water salvage to start us off in an area where our initial need for being inexpensive can be best put to good use,

An ROV project needs a big well funded team that will only come to us if we find some stuff shallower

I feel bad about being negative but a slow build of a very solid team taking baby steps with some success along the way cannot fail. I just can't see so many people signing on day 1 for a huge expensive project which all ROV jobs are by virtue of their needs.

I think a tiny trusted team moving forward and growing slowly ( or really quickly if we recover some good stuff) works best for me.....

I keep thinking of the people that say," yea it's right there 30 ft under the ground," and when you ask if it has been recovered they either change the subject or go quiet.

Unless we recover something I don't think we will get any real worthwhile interest in this the way I Know Treasure diver can visualize, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

First though, we HAVE to have success somehow........

Maybe you would like the Privateer in 70ft of water, lots of mud. Strong current.

25 to 30 chests of silver coins and 2500oz of gold coins.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Maybe you would like the Privateer in 70ft of water, lots of mud. Strong current.

25 to 30 chests of silver coins and 2500oz of gold coins.
Treassurediver, Now I think you can put a great team together. You have a lot of experience for shallow work on this board.
Good work and Good Luck.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Maybe you would like the Privateer in 70ft of water, lots of mud. Strong current.

25 to 30 chests of silver coins and 2500oz of gold coins."

Sounds perfect to me :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it's a legal salvage lets go, otherwise, let's find one we "can" work and get started on that. Clandestine doesn't work very well on threads.........

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Treassurediver, Now I think you can put a great team together. You have a lot of experience for shallow work on this board.
Good work and Good Luck.

Did I mention before? The diving is a very minor part. There is much more to it to make a business out of it. (see list above)
We will also need the right kind of people for that.

OP
OP
T

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
If it's a legal salvage lets go, otherwise, let's find one we "can" work and get started on that. Clandestine doesn't work very well on threads.........

Actually there are really a lot of shipwrecks out there. I know a few but if we show we can do it profitably, countless more will turn up because from everywhere they will want us to do it for them.

It just needs the right formula, the right business model and for that it needs the right team.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread