Crying in my Southern Sweet Ice Tea w/Lemon and about ready to head NORTH!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said this before and laid off of it for awahile, but I'm saying it again: The good stuff is
farther north than Charlotte, N.C. I know Fla. gets it's share of cool beach finds, but you know what I'm talking about. If you look (and on a consistent basis), Virgina and North of Virginia get the best finds. Everyone always comes back with "Oh , you got good Civil War sites!" Yeah we do, I hunted one last weekend, and some good stuff was found. But all these reals and coppers and draped this and things I really want to find are all north of me. Heck, the president of my club hunts up north every chance he gets, and he ALWAYS finds great stuff up there. He came back from a hunt last week and won in three different classes of top finds of the month at our club. Our finds look pitiful next to his. I find about as good as what anybody's finding when we hunt the same sites at club hunts, so it ain't my ability to find, it's just not in the ground here. I know I haven't been in this forever, and I still have a lot to learn, but still... All I got to say is look out next spring/summer, the pirate might be making his way up north!!

HH,
Ramapirate

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome to come up here and look. I am not big on relic hunting and would be a real newbie there in the woods. I've found some stuff but never a belt plate, yet. I just mainly like to hunt the water, and do the land in the fall when the bugs die down. Our mosquitoes are bigger than your southern tiny things.

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard about those whoppers up there. Our skeeters are kinda small and the bite gives you
just a little itch that's fun ta scratch.

HH,
Ramapirate

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ramapirate said:
I've said this before and laid off of it for awahile, but I'm saying it again: The good stuff is
farther north than Charlotte, N.C. I know Fla. gets it's share of cool beach finds, but you know what I'm talking about. If you look (and on a consistent basis), Virgina and North of Virginia get the best finds. Everyone always comes back with "Oh , you got good Civil War sites!" Yeah we do, I hunted one last weekend, and some good stuff was found. But all these reals and coppers and draped this and things I really want to find are all north of me. Heck, the president of my club hunts up north every chance he gets, and he ALWAYS finds great stuff up there. He came back from a hunt last week and won in three different classes of top finds of the month at our club. Our finds look pitiful next to his. I find about as good as what anybody's finding when we hunt the same sites at club hunts, so it ain't my ability to find, it's just not in the ground here. I know I haven't been in this forever, and I still have a lot to learn, but still... All I got to say is look out next spring/summer, the pirate might be making his way up north!!

HH,
Ramapirate

I feel your pain. Out here in the wild West ( ;D) we do get the opportunity to hunt some old places but the real good stuff is few and far between. I too sit here and daydream about getting over to the other side.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnycat
I feel your pain. Out here in the wild West ( ) we do get the opportunity to hunt some old places but the real good stuff is few and far between. I too sit here and daydream about getting over to the other side.

I second that statement Johnnycat. :thumbsup:

Burdie

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Yep, the grass is greener....

I have been tempted to move several times after viewing some of the finds on the forum. LOL

The skeeters in the south may not be very big, but they make up in numbers what they lack in size. Ouch.

Been swarmed more than once this summer and headed to the beaches to avoid the critters.

Ray S

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If y'all want to see a really cool hunt including location shots go to the metal detecting world website and look at the large cent hunts in the USA hunts subheading. It's east of Albany, New York going toward Mass. I felt like I was there already. This cat has some cool post. He tells you how to find cellar holes and other signs of colonial house spots. His storys really make me want to go up there. That's some beautiful country up near the Taconic Mountains I guess. Do any of y'all hunt that area?

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now watch it get real quiet on here. (He knows, but what does he know? Why is he posting this on here, that was "our spot!" I don't know, ask him. I'm not asking him, it's call attention to us, I'm not saying anything. Maybe nobody will read the post)
HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the actual website. http://metaldetectingworld.com/searching_for_large_cents_p1.shtml
Click on all the pages, really good pictures and he tells the whole story to go along with the photos.

This is what I want to be able to do. I want to hunt a remote spot out in the middle of nowhere and find large cents. This is like a dream hunt for me. Check it out, especially the newbies on here. I'm sure there'll be people on here picking this dude apart for one reason or another, but I think it's awesome what he has on his site. The dude does landscaping for a living and metal detects every chance he gets, and really comes up with cool stuff. Check him out!!

HH,
Ramapirate

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Ramapirate said:
His storys really make me want to go up there.
HH,
Ramapirate

Sorry dude but you gotta at least pay property taxes in the state your huntin in up here in the North. :tongue3:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ram, what kind of detector do you use? You also have the Murphyburro diamond mine in N.C. Take a trip there you might do good! You can also find many different types of gem stones in N.C. Aquamarine for example. The best thing about the south are the people. Good ole every day people!

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, you ain't goin' to run me off from down here. I was born and raised in the south.
Right here in N.C. I grew up out in the country, out in Paw Creek, N.C.
Naw, folks, I love the south. I just want to go up for a week or so and find me some
large cents. We all know they're up there now in upstate New York.
So brace yourself, we're headed up! It's just a matter of time...
And please, pray tell Jimb, what type of metal detector would one use to hunt "rocks"?
You were asking what type of detector I have. An Ace 250, nothing special, but I know of no
detector that one can find diamonds or aquamarine with.

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread