CSA Button

agentbud

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this button. Picture is not that great - the button actually has pretty good detail but has a small dent at the bottom of the shield. The shank is still attached. It has "C S A" across the top of the shield and "Courtney & Tennent" on the reverse. This was found in an area where confederate troops were known to have passed through and camped on the march from Jackson, MS to Vicksburg, MS just prior to the siege of Vicksburg.
My initial research indicates that this style button was worn by high ranking officials, possibly a general. But I would love to hear more about it if anyone knows, plus what you think it might be worth. I'll try to take a better picture if needed...

FB30.jpg

Upvote 11

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it sure looks right. Not a button authority by any means but digging that would require mid-field underwear change for me. Congrats on what I bet is going to be confirmed as one of the "BOY DOGS" among us relic hunters. :icon_thumleft:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG!!!!!!! That is a sweet button. Wish I had your answers, but I am sure someone will be along with the wisdom.

Congratulations!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like it will clean up real nice. (assuming the dirt is over the gilt, can't see well enough)

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang. that is outstanding. congrats!

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug this button. Picture is not that great - the button actually has pretty good detail but has a small dent at the bottom of the shield. The shank is still attached. It has "C S A" across the top of the shield and "Courtney & Tennent" on the reverse. This was found in an area where confederate troops were known to have passed through and camped on the march from Jackson, MS to Vicksburg, MS just prior to the siege of Vicksburg.
My initial research indicates that this style button was worn by high ranking officials, possibly a general. But I would love to hear more about it if anyone knows, plus what you think it might be worth. I'll try to take a better picture if needed...

View attachment 928618

Non dug button around $2,000
William Leigh: Confederate States Central Government Buttons

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure net. Very nice first post. When did you dig it? I am sure it will clean up very nice. You can google here at treasure net and there are many articles on cleaning and preservation.:thumbsup:

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice Civil War save. Congrats

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a valuable button like that just a little soap and water and leave it alone.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG I hate you now.. only thing that would make me hate you more. Is if you posted a George Washington button.. Grrr

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great button to have pop right out of the ground. You lucky dog. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Just run water over it from the faucet. Do not brush it as it may remove the patina. You want the natural patina to stay with it whether it is a green color, brown, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread