CTX dead

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 hours of use and my CTX is down. USB connected problem. First time in the water USB got a little damp. Cap was tight but still. It's been drying all day and still nothing. Looks like its going to have to be sent back. Rather disappointing and frustrating considering the price. After reading the problems on the forums about the issues with the 3030, I went against them and gave it a shot, really hoping this wasn't a huge mistake. Ugh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope u can get the problem rectified, minelabes customer service is really good, but I get what ur saying good luck

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I surprised minelab hasn't addressed this yet. pretty simple new o-ring design should take care of the problems...

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree, the seal on the port is really not very secure. Anyway, I powered it up this morning and all was good. Since I have only had it a few days, I'll watch it and if anything comes up in the next few weeks, it will go back otherwise, just won't submerge it anymore.

Cory

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree, the seal on the port is really not very secure. Anyway, I powered it up this morning and all was good. Since I have only had it a few days, I'll watch it and if anything comes up in the next few weeks, it will go back otherwise, just won't submerge it anymore.

Cory

Ya but wasnt being able to go 10' submerged a selling point for you being able to do that ?

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, true. Definitely a feature that I want to utilize. Little scared now to submerge it although I want to try again. The cap can only go so tight with damaging the post as well.

Cory

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I had issues with the port, the machine is a ton of fun. This being my first machine and coming into md'ing fresh, it is not a difficult machine to learn. Granted I only have a little time obit, but it pretty intuitive and easy to navigate. I still love the machine. I just hope that these very water integrity issues get worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not have a screen but my 14 year old sword- excalibur is still working, waterproof and deadly!
BTW... Looking to trade a nice, used excal sword for a nice, used CTX. Kidding!?!?

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like my USB connected issue is back. After the last time it happened, i have been extremely careful with the cap. It's been now showing the error for 48 hours and looks like it's going to have to be sent back to minelab.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well looks like my USB connected issue is back. After the last time it happened, i have been extremely careful with the cap. It's been now showing the error for 48 hours and looks like it's going to have to be sent back to minelab. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not again! It's time to go back to ML with this one for a replacement IMHO. I've had mine in salt water and fresh water about half the time I've used it and never had any issues. Hope they get this resolved for you Bejamble! Happy Holidays

Last edited:

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on my way to purchase a CTX today. I am a little hesitant after reading this and a few others with the same problem. I don't want to spend that kind of money and wory about getting the thing wet. I hope it turns out for the best.

Jim

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got my CTX sent off a couple days ago. I have been using my fisher 1280x the past few days and has really made me miss my baby. The fisher is a decent machine but I got spoiled by the CTX. Very anxious to get her back. As many the have had the CTX in water, I just don't trust to submerge the control unit again.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called Minelab last friday and was told they were waiting for parts which should've been in 2 days. Hoping that they did come in and the machine got repaired and sent off already. No word from ML this week though. It's been there for 2 weeks now making it a month since it crashed. Starting to get antsy.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow waiting for parts on their flagship latest and greatest machine! Keep one of everything in stock minelab! And this is Minelab- Australia? Gees Mate, I thought that's where their bloody headquarters are! I guess the parts are coming from Malaysia or somewhere since they're a global company. What went wrong on a 2 month old machine? Was it water intrusion or what? Best wishes, Walt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water intrusion. And actually the water got in on the first day in the water within days of receiving it. Little slow getting it returned for my taste though.

Cory

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water intrusion. And actually the water got in on the first day in the water within days of receiving it. Little slow getting it returned for my taste though. Cory
I would lightly coat the flat seal in bottom of screw cap over USB port with silicone lube, Not the threads. Then tighten it 2 finger tight only. ( not crank down on it with channel locks or all five fingers.) the straight thread is not the sealing part of that setup ONLY the flat rubber gasket in the cap. I've never had a problem with sand or leaks using this method.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am picking up a sea hunter for water use and will keep the CTX only to waste depth. Sucks, but not wanting to go a month again CTXless.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am picking up a sea hunter for water use and will keep the CTX only to waste depth. Sucks, but not wanting to go a month again CTXless. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can find great machines on the used market. I just picked up a perfect Excal 1000 for a good price and plan on tricking it out with PP and headphone mods. The Excal is still my goto machine when beach detecting. It just feels safer when digging out in the surf, than the CTX.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a new minelabe owner just wantd to say they do make some quality machines. Kinda,stinks that you hear the bad of water ruining the ctx's I mean that is I'm pretty sure why some buy it because of it being a land/water machine. It's a shame the people who had the water issue happen th them do have the confidence in bringing it out in the water again

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how much a strictly land not water ctx is worth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread