Curiously Strong Signal, Tot Lot Treasure Cache

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Well Hi there! How are you? Me? Oh I'm fine, really. I finally got out and did a little detecting today. The day after Memorial Day and I figured the local parks would be ripe for the picking. Especially since the forcasted rain showers hadn't materialized this morning. So I loaded up my detector, lured my better half into the car with promises of a picnic lunch in the park, and away I went.
The skies were overcast, and there was a rather damp breeze blowing at the park as we dined on our fried chicken and fixin's. But no rain, yet. I began detecting not long after our leisurely lunch, around the picnic shelter, then around the many trees and picnic tables across the park, making my way to the woodchip oasis of the tot lot. With her I-pod cranking out the tunes and her book to read, my dear wife watched me wander about stopping and poking at the ground now and then, digging up coins and pull tabs. And one large iron ring.. looks like some sort of horse tack left over from when the park was part of a farm.
It may not have rained, but after an hour or so I was dripping with sweat all the same. It was the humidity! Lord! You'd have thought it was the middle of summer already. Alas, after digging up an assortment of pull tabs and bottle caps, and a handful of clad coins, not finding but a couple of pennies in the woodchips, it was time to go. My wife had a function to attend with her volunteer organization this evening and had to go home to "get ready". (translation: change clothes, fix her hair, put on make up, pick out the right shoes, change her mind.. and clothes..) <ahem> Before leaving the park however, I pulled some change out of my pocket and attempted to purchase a soda from one of the "caged up" drink machines by the parking area. A whole $1.50 for on 20 ounce bottle of pop? Oh well, I was thirsty. I put in my money, made my selection and was promptly informed by the little LED screen that it was "SOLD OUT", noting that there was NOT a coin return button on this machine (there was a hole for it though), I made a different selection... "SOLD OUT"... so I tried yet a different selection.. again "SOLD OUT". GREAT! I was about to walk away frustrated when I saw a wrapper in the drink dispenser tray, it had a dime on it. What the..? I pulled it out and discovered more coins under the wrapper. A quarter, another quarter, another quarter, a dime, another quarter, and ANOTHER quarter. Well...! Then I noticed a quarter hung up in the coin return "drop chute" in the coin return tray. For a moment I sat there replaying my coin feed into the machine and realized that it didn't sound right, as if the coins were not falling through the counter.. they weren't dropping. Out of curiosity I gave the coin in feed "area" of the machine a quick flat handed jab.. jingle jingle.. I heard a couple of coins drop.. so I tried again.. some coins fell into the coin return.. and a few fell into the drink tray. HUH? Jab! Jingle! Jab! clink clink.. Jab! Jingle. Apparently, not only had all the drinks been bought out of the machine, but the change bucket had backed up all the way into the coin feed slot, jamming up not only the feed but the coin return as well. I probably could have pounded on that machine a bit more but I really didn't see the need to do that. Upon returning to the picnic table where my wife was watching me with amusement, I learned that she too had tried to buy a drink out of the very same machine.. and lost her money. Then it was my turn to laugh, handing her her money back. I not only got my change back, but hers as well, and sixteen cents more. Someone had tried to put a penny into the machine. <shrug> Home.
After getting home and moving my detector from the car to my truck, I relaxed and cooled off in the airconditioned comfort while my wife got ready for her function. A little TV, a little iced tea, a short nap, and I was raring to go do some more detecting. The skies were looking darker all the time, but it had yet to rain. I decided to check out a couple of elementary schoolyard playgrounds. School was out for the day and I've not been to these two outlying county schools for some time. So I hit the road and hoped the rain would hold off a bit longer.
The first schoolyard was, as expected, deserted. There was a soccer game or practice or something underway on one side of the school though. I detected from the parking lot, to the woodchips, around the equipment and from island to island. Some schoolyards and playgrounds have "islands" of woodchips around groups of playground equipment rather than one large continuous sea of woodchips.
This school had "islands". I found the usual pencil heads, hair clasps, buttons and snaps, and pull tabs and can slaw, zipper pulls.. and some coin, a battery and a key.

5-27-08 005buttons.jpg : 5-27-08 006key.jpg

Not a lot, but not bad. Unfortunately, by the time I finished the last island it had begun to sprinkle. Here comes the rain. I headed back to my truck and then towards home. Realizing, after a few miles that I had outrun the rain.. or rather the rain was blowing in the other direction. COOL! I made a slight alteration of my route towards home and made a pit stop at another schoolyard.
Again, pull tabs, a few coins, pencil heads, zipper pulls, cans and can slaw. Then... My detector nearly pegged out! I was getting a HUGE signal. According to my Prizm IV, I was looking at something in the 50 cent piece range at about 8 inches deep. It was right up against the plastic retaining wall that held the woodchips in the "island", so I figured it was more likely a can or some other piece of metal fence post or something like that. Oh I DUG! You bet I did! I scooped out the woodchips down to roughly 8 inches down, then used my Bullseye pinpointer in the hole. There was something there, but it was deeper yet. I dug some more woochips out of the hole.. now down to about 12 inches deep. The bullseye was still vibrating like mad, but I couldn't see anything. I was just about to call it quits thinking I was picking up a false signal or something, but for the hell of it I dug a little deeper yet. That's when I found it. A candy tin, about 14 inches deep in the woodchips. And it wasn't empty! When I picked it up it rattled. Carefully opening it up I found it was full of coins and three glass "stones". I had found some kid's buried treasure.. a CACHE!

5-27-08 001tin.jpg : 5-27-08 002cache.jpg

I also noted that it was getting dark, early.. due to the overcast skies probably. Those very skies were again beginning to pelt me with the forcasted rain that was supposed to have fallen earlier in the day. So I called it a day and headed towards the house. When I got home and started going through my finds for the day I finally counted not only all my other finds for the day but the loot in the candy tin. $2.41 and three glass "stones".

5-27-08 004everything.jpg

<shrug> Combined with all the other coins found today I made out pretty well with a total of $7.66 all told.

5-27-08 007ring.jpg :

Along with all the other finds, and a wonderful time just enjoying the hobby, I had a great day. I hope everyone got to get out and enjoy themselves this weekend as well.

As always..

Happy Hunting Everyone !

Frodov

Upvote 6

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I would have given up long before 12 inches down. The tot lots around here have tons of scrap metal under them. Glad you kept going! A good day!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always Frod, very entertaining and well written, of course now I am starving for fried chicken...grrrrr... great finds and cool little cache too... :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Cool find!
I don't know how many time I stopped at 8 inches or better thinking it was a false signal.
I won't do that again. Gotta get myself a pinpointer.
Keep em coming!
Mike

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
mikewaz said:
Cool find!
I don't know how many time I stopped at 8 inches or better thinking it was a false signal.
I won't do that again. Gotta get myself a pinpointer.
Keep em coming!
Mike

Not to sound like an advertisement for White's or the Bullseye Pinpointers, but I think I probably would have lost some enthusiasm for this hobby of metal detecting long ago (Only been doing this a little over a year) had it not been for the pinpointer. I don't have to ask someone who doesn't currently use a pinpointer, how many times they've given up on a signal because they couldn't find the target in the hole they dug. I know for a fact that had I not been using my bullseye that I would have missed many many finds by only using my naked eyes and fingers.
By all means, get yourself a pinpointer. Your number of finds will increase and you will enjoy the hobby so very much more. And, not work as hard too... I've found that if the target is indicated at 2 inches, or less, deep by my detector (White's Prizm IV) my bullseye can detect it before I even cut a plug or dig a hole. With a coin or target pinpointed sometimes all I have to do is probe with my homemade probe/knife, and just pop it out without digging anything. Cool! I know there are lots of different makers and models of pinpointers available out there to choose from, but I've only ever used the Bullseye myself. Whatever brand or model you get though, GET ONE! You will thank yourself for doing it. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Colonial KirkPA said:
Elaborate on the <ahem> part? :tongue3: :D

Kirk :D ;D

I wouldn't think I would need to elaborate to a man of the world such as yourself there Kirk.. I mean <ahem> " " I'm sure you've observed the frustratingly obtuse and indecipherable machinations of the fairer sex of our species as they go through their "preparations" for going out. First they pick out an outfit, then match it with shoes, then their accouterments (bling), then style or fix their hair and make up.. then change their mind on some item or another of the "ensemble".. which entails an entire wardrobe change and the entire process begins again.. HOW MANY TIMES??? But us guys.. unless we've been laid out a particular "outfit" or suit, just throw on a pair of slacks or jeans and grab a shirt and we're good to go.. oh we might shave and even put on some cologne or aftershave <grin> but that's about it.. hell, most of the time we don't even dry our hair. <laughing> That takes all of what? Maybe ten minutes if you don't have to shave? Whereas the ladies may take upwards of thirty minutes.. an hour.. more?? I'll never figure them out. *sigh* but then if we ever do completely figure them out.. what's that say about us? <shuddering> No my friend, some things are better left alone and remain a mystery. "<ahem>" indeed!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Great story and congrats, I also found an altoids can last year(Jul 5th) full of change, including a $1 bill!! You just never know what you will find!!

vickilynn

May 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites prizm 950 V
Hi , I loved your post you wrote well enough that it kept me so interested that I did not even hear hubby askin about food . Till I heard it slightly louder and then sumthing about that darn computer. Do you write for a living?
Anyways I have a question ...Does a person have to get permission to hunt public schools? And who do you ask?
Thanks in advance, Vickilynn

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Frodov, you are a feller of many words and thoughts. You've got to drive your woman crazy with all of your never-ending humor.

Kyle

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
vickilynn said:
Hi , I loved your post you wrote well enough that it kept me so interested that I did not even hear hubby askin about food . Till I heard it slightly louder and then sumthing about that darn computer. Do you write for a living?
Anyways I have a question ...Does a person have to get permission to hunt public schools? And who do you ask?
Thanks in advance, Vickilynn

Well Miss Vickilynn, I'm not sure what the rules or laws are where you live, but here in Kentucky, "public" schools are public property, no different from public parks as far as the playgrounds go. If you are a law abiding taxpaying citizen with no other ulterior motives than to search for lost treasures in the woodchips or grass of the playground you usually won't be hassled. I *did* have a concerned school principle come out and investigate just what I was doing, once, but upon speaking with her for a few moments and showing her just how I went about detecting, and "digging" for a target, then backfilling any holes, she was more than satisfied that I wasn't defacing or vandalizing the playground. Of course, it helped that I had with me and gave her one of my "cards" that my loving wife so kindly made up for me on the computer. Think business card, with my full name, home address, phone number and even my email address. I've given many of these out to people I've met while out and about metal detecting, like the lovely young grade school principle I just mentioned, and a couple of different law enforcement officers and park "supervisors".
As I said though, not knowing where you live or the laws of the land therebouts, I can't say with authority that you can or can't detect at your local schoolyard playgrounds. A quick call to your county school superintendents office or even asking a local police officer should be able to answer your question though. If you can, HAVE AT IT! Just remember, public property or not, treat it as your own yard and fill in and/or cover any holes you dig. Of course, it's a given that you are going to find trash there as well.. pull tabs, cans, can slaw, empty drink pouches, cartons and bottles. I usually pick all this stuff up while I'm detecting and drop it in the nearest trash bin when I'm done. You'll likely find lots of sweatshirts, jackets, shirts, and other clothing that the children have dropped or "forgotten" during recess. It amazes me that the teachers don't catch this, but I usually just pick them up and drop them in a pile on the nearest bench or table as well. BOY! My mom would have had my hide had I left clothes at school like that! Anyway.. Good Luck.. and as always..

Happy Hunting

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Frodov, you are a feller of many words and thoughts. You've got to drive your woman crazy with all of your never-ending humor.

Kyle

Well Zoy... Drive my better half crazy, I do... but I don't so much think it's from humor. <grin> More like my foibles, habits and her pet peeves... oh and pushing the appropriate (or inappropriate) buttons. <evil grin> BUT, I do cook, and I'm fairly tidy about the house, and this "latest hobby" of metal detecting, though takes time away from her, DOES reap some benefits..like cash!, occasional trinkets or bling.. (note, she's never decided to wear anything I've found, but she likes seeing it just the same).
Yeah, we're both crazy.. in our own ways. So I guess the humor helps.. it kind of smooths out the bumps in the road from time to time if nothing else. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Yah I know the feeling. I dug a penny signal the other day and normally I don't get that excited but it was like 12 inches down.
Turned out to be a token from a pizza shop from my childhood. It's not worth anything but memories.

Nice job. Gotta love the woodchips!!

Fishstank

Ko78

May 29, 2019
Etowah county Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum E-series
The Hustler Garrett Electronics,
RM RICOMAX
MD-4080
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't answer the question about being a writer? I was wondering myself. You should compile some of your experiences into a book. I hate reading books, but I'm certain yours would be on my bookshelf with the other few partially read books...lol. Thats a compliment no matter how it sounds. You are almost too descriptive, but I am left with a moving picture rolling through my mind when I stop so that makes me continue the read anyway...very gifted if you ask me. :notworthy:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do have a flair for writing! Tenacity to make you go on also. Nice find on the cache. Even tho the monetary value is not great on this one, it's a cache. In that area where you found it, it could be considered a spill, but the container and small collection I would still consider it to be important enough to the original owner to group those items together as "special" which would make it a cache in my mind.
Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job lots of good finds just wait till that ring pops up or the big silver it will. Love to read your posts also Well done my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions