Dalton

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Type: Dalton

Material: Unknown (very heavy patination)

Providence: North East Texas

Note: May be first stage based on size for the area and knapping pattern

Morning,

This Dalton was recovered from a select cut in North East Texas about twenty five years ago. It was published in some archaeological memoir or book of which I have never owned a copy and can't recall the title. It is large for the type and the area in which it was found measuring over 4 1/2 inches. Based on the flaking style and size, I believe this is a first stage form meaning tht it has not had a resharpening since its original fabrication.

Unfortunately, you will note in one photograph that the upper blade edge has a little piece of dark colored modeling clay that I stuck on there when I first had it to fill in a ding that's there. Otherwise, the piece is entirely intact. As you can see, I am no restorer of artifacts...lol. I probably should have sent it off for restoration but I only own maybe three points that are restored.....I just never got into the restoration thing.

Of course Sloan and Pike County varients are longer/larger and also look a little different. For a plain Dalton from this area, it would be considered pretty good sized. It has that good, old and "greasy" feel to it.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Upvote 0
Whoa!! now thats nice!! Do you know which county in N.E. Texas that was found in? I've found a few points made of that material, but they are rare, let alone havin a Dalton made from it. Where I live, Dalton is fairly common.
I'd submit that yours is a "Hemphill" variety.(?)
Nice point.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot, that is a beautiful point, I would be bothered about the repair though, I'm not too keen on restoration but, that would have to be sent off to Dr.Gomer, hes the best restorer ever..
Eye candy for sure, its nice to see authentic points of that calibre..

Molly. :)

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Bowie or Cass; I can't recall which. The select cut it came from was on the lake. You know the place; if caught "prospecting" there prepare for court dates, huge fines and forfeiture of your boat and/or vehicle. It's the roughest place I know; I don't hunt there.........against the law.....didn't use to be a problem though.

Thanks for looking,

spot

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Hi Molly,

I've never heard of the good Dr. Gomer; what can you tell me about him and what examples do you have of his work? I used Dennis Bushey a couple of times and he was really pretty good but I can still see (of course) the repair on the three he did for me. They were two small tip dings and one blade nick similar to the dalton I have pictured here.

I have always loved that term, "eye candy", it's appropriate to our hobby. Glad you like it.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Yeah, I prolly know the area your talkin about. I know for a fact that one of the Water Nazis there likes to confiscate points off people then they turn up for consignment on one of the internet sights that sells artifacts.....Great public officials the feds have aint it? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Hey Jonnyreb,

Like I posted; this piece has super heavy patina. It has a few little light blue swirls in it that appear to be original color. It might be wood; I've seen some crazy colors when it petrifies or agatizes with specific mineral content in the soil and no, I don't know what's there to create the blue color.

On a piece like this, the stone could have come from Arkansas or Oklahoma since they are close by and there are quite a few different types of material in various colors that come from the Kiamanchi's or lower Ouchitas. I really don't think it's wood but who knows. When he was living, I often used Perino as a source of knowledge. With all his experience, many times he could not identify the material especially on the older points. Ofv course, neither could anyone else.

What type of points do you have that are this color? I would love to see them as this is the only thing I have that is patinated like this.

Thanks for looking,

spot

What I have are a few garys made of that type of material. I live in N. Bowie county directly across from the Arkansas/OKlahoma line. When I get time I'll try to get some pics. Yes, Mr.Perino lived a lil over 20 miles from me. He sure knew his stuff didnt he? I miss that man. He always had time to sit and visit it seems.

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Jonny,

Yes, I counted him as a friend and you're right....he would take time to visit with anyone........a true gentleman in every fashion. Sat in his office quite a few times and had some iced tea as we whiled the time away with our conversations.

Sure would like to see those Garys when you have an oppurtunity to photo and
post.

spot

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
First, let me state that's a damn nice Dalton. The material reminds me of some Johns Valley variants I've seen. I have to disagree with it being first stage though, as it looks heavily beveled. Beveling is the bi-product of resharpening and actually is one of the most intelligent and thrifty methods of it. If it WASN'T beveled, I would think it was a Vian Creek. But alas, Vian Creek typically resharpen to the center of the blade. Again, nice knife.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Neanderthal said:
First, let me state that's a damn nice Dalton. The material reminds me of some Johns Valley variants I've seen. I have to disagree with it being first stage though, as it looks heavily beveled. Beveling is the bi-product of resharpening and actually is one of the most intelligent and thrifty methods of it. If it WASN'T beveled, I would think it was a Vian Creek. But alas, Vian Creek typically resharpen to the center of the blade. Again, nice knife.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. :thumbsup: Beveling can be a primary or secondary stage sharpening process.

How do you explain Pinetrees?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
luckyinkentucky said:
Neanderthal said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you. :thumbsup: Beveling can be a primary or secondary stage sharpening process.

How do you explain Pinetrees?

Pinetrees aren't beveled. I guess you're getting serrations confused with beveling. Seems like you'd know things like that, being a knapper and all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread