Dalton

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Type: Dalton

Material: Unknown (very heavy patination)

Providence: North East Texas

Note: May be first stage based on size for the area and knapping pattern

Morning,

This Dalton was recovered from a select cut in North East Texas about twenty five years ago. It was published in some archaeological memoir or book of which I have never owned a copy and can't recall the title. It is large for the type and the area in which it was found measuring over 4 1/2 inches. Based on the flaking style and size, I believe this is a first stage form meaning tht it has not had a resharpening since its original fabrication.

Unfortunately, you will note in one photograph that the upper blade edge has a little piece of dark colored modeling clay that I stuck on there when I first had it to fill in a ding that's there. Otherwise, the piece is entirely intact. As you can see, I am no restorer of artifacts...lol. I probably should have sent it off for restoration but I only own maybe three points that are restored.....I just never got into the restoration thing.

Of course Sloan and Pike County varients are longer/larger and also look a little different. For a plain Dalton from this area, it would be considered pretty good sized. It has that good, old and "greasy" feel to it.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Upvote 0

history_buff

Feb 10, 2008
sw missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum and fisher f5
Thats a pure beaut of a dalton!!!!Browsing through and happen to see it.Looks almost like Knife river flint from Montana..But theres also a flint from Texas thats the same color they call it Pederanales I believe.If its translucent along the edges thats probably what it is.KRF is not perfectly clear.Its supposed to be silicified cattail.....Don

history_buff

Feb 10, 2008
sw missouri
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum and fisher f5
Looked at your point a little further.Those gray spots in it Ive definitly saw in texas flint.I know its called pederanales root beer color........Don

artifactman

Greenie
Mar 1, 2009
Im kinda confused what you mean by" geasy feeling to it" Ive hunted artifacts for about 25 years in missouri and thats a real nice piece!! thanks for showing it!

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thats a great piece!any of you want to tell me a good place to start when it comes to flint knapping? have always wanted to learn how to do some knapping myself,if not for artistic value,maybe to just learn more.a few of you in this nice debate sound as if you know something about flint knapping.if you have the time i would like some info,thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions