Dan meets Vicky

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Dan, Spencer and I headed out on Saturday morning to a promising new spot that Dan got permission to hunt.

DanSpenceandIOCt20.jpg

Dan wasn’t too impressed with the looks of the first home site we located so he went to look for site #2. Spencer and I started and one of the first few signals I got turned out to be this buckle:

Oct20thBuckel.jpg

We didn’t find much else and then Dan came walking back to inform us site #2 was better. Most of the site was overgrown:

Oct20thscenic.jpg

However, there were some spots out front that were workable. The first signal I dug turned out to be an IH. Got some wheats a merc and a cool Lincoln Mercury car key. 50’s or early 60’s?

Oct20thfirsthole.jpg

Octber20A.jpg

Spencer found the bottle dump for this home and Dan found these two old cars:

Oct20thtoycars.jpg

The trek for the next group of 4 potential sites turned out to be a bust. We used up a lot of time trying to find the old road that was obvious from the satellite photos. Got a little lost in the woods but made it back without too much extra effort.
So back to site #1. We could only cough up a single wheat penny from it. On to site #3. Again promising but with all the prickers we were somewhat limited in our hunting areas. We could only find two wheat pennies and a broken pocketwatch at this site. Since we were running out of daylight we headed to site #4. This proved to be a good site. The big excitement of the day was hearing Dan exclaim “It’s a silver Quarter!” Then shortly after a thunderous “Wooohoooo!! It’s a Barber!!”. I ran over and there was still a lot of dirt on it but I knew right away it was not a Barber but one of those funny quarters I had found a couple months ago – a Vicky. Still a great find and harder to find than a Barber.

DansVicky.jpg

Most of my stuff for the day:

Octber20B.jpg

HH all and Good luck,

Bob

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
A lot of great finds you got there. Silver & IH, congrats!!!
I love the sleek looking car on that key. Does it say Lincoln-Mercury on the other side?
-Doug-

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Sometimes its not the finds that matter is it?....Its the great time you all have together enjoying the day! Great post.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
ModernMiner said:
Bob,
I love the sleek looking car on that key. Does it say Lincoln-Mercury on the other side?
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. Yes as I mentioned in the post - a cool Lincoln Mercury key. Not reading the post too well - Busted! ;) :D :D ;D I'm guilty of doing that a lot too. ;D

gypsyheart said:
Sometimes its not the finds that matter is it?....Its the great time you all have together enjoying the day! Great post.

Thanks Gypsy. It was nice to do some new spots.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
ModernMiner said:
Bob,
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. Yes as I mentioned in the post - a cool Lincoln Mercury key. Not reading the post too well - Busted! ;) :D :D ;D I'm guilty of doing that a lot too. ;D

gypsyheart said:

Thanks Gypsy. It was nice to do some new spots.

O.K., wise-*ss I DID read the whole post. It's Kirk's that I kind of skim through. :o :D
The reason I had asked that was, I didn't see Lincoln-Mercury on the key, and the nose looked like one of those old Studebakers.
So there, Mr. Smarty Pants.
:-* :P ;D

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
That's a great and varied bunch of stuff!!
The Vickie quarter is worth something, what year is it?

Those 2 pedal kiddie cars might be worth something too. Even if they're kind of hacked-out, I'd expect there are people who restore those.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and Pics Bob--That Merc and that Indian head look to be in good condition. Congrats on a good hunt and a good time.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Doug- How can you not read every word of Doy's most ehr something posts? ;) ;D

Funny cause my son told me that "Jill in Ohio" made the top 25 on Kirk's list. I had to lecture the poor misguided son on the consequences of reading trash. ;D

Still not sure on the car key - I found it near the '44 worn merc along with some 50's wheats which put's it in the late 50's early 60's.

Bob

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Looks like another great fall hunt. Your pictures are always awesome. Nice post.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an interesting group of finds.
I liked your group photo, it's nice to see you guys getting out again.
I look forward to the stories from Ohio.

Happy Hunting,

Johnny Cache

Go Red Sox! ;) :o ;D

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesoem assortment of finds my friend, well done as usual and great photos!! Keep em coming 'till the snow flies, good luck!

BDoo

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Great pics (as always) Bob....and thanks for joining me and Spencer Sat.
Aside from the longish hike that was fruitless it was a fun day. You just know that with the sheer number of other cellarholes there that we haven't even checked out yet that some of them will hit big. And now we know there may be more depth to the history that previously believed. I wouldn't be surprised now to pull some Seated silver from the area.
It's always a pleasure hunting alongside you :)

I am free all next weekend.......

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great bunch of finds. I think the buckle is my favorite. Very nice!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Big Bob, you guys did well! WTG to Dan! Bob, when are you guys heading back to the Stagstop? Damn, that place produced some nice half dimes. I would be sleeping at that site! :D

Kirk

P.S. Go Boston! ;) :D

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I was driving from Huron, Ohio back to Pennsylvania on Sunday and thought to myself, "somewhere out here, Bob and the gang are finding silver." It's sick how metal detecting influences how we think ;D. It was sunny and the leaves were showing signs of changing and my first thought was about all the great sites there must be off the Interstate! Nice post! Bummer about the Tribe :'(.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread