Date Line: West Central Florida Smittyw Dream Find, 8-31-12

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
(SEE UDATE TO THIS IN BELOW POST 9-9-12) SmittyW(SW) on his never ending quest for truth, justice and really nice silver counts, goes to his local BOA branch and makes a pick-up of his two previously ordered half dollar boxes(numbering 8 and 9 for the week) at the drive-thru.

Upon obtaining said boxes, SW notices numerous rolls of a rather large coin lying at a tellers station in wrappers unlike SW had ever seen before. The ever curious SW asks the head teller, "What are those rolls of coin on the other tellers station?" and learns they are customer rolled half's that had just come in. Being late for work already and with a line of cars waiting in the lane behind him, SW pulls away from the window after getting his boxes and proceeds out of the bank parking lot toward the main road.

SW comes to a sudden stop as he realizes that he can't just leave those poor rolls of half dollars all by themselves in a cold uncaring bank, aching to be searched by someone who really cared. SW quickly U turns and hurries in the bank to save those half dollar rolls from obscurity and being placed in a cold dark vault.

SW approached the sweet young teller girl who is allowing those poor half dollar rolls to just sit out in the open on her teller station and inquires if he might purchase them. SW finds that there are $200 worth of those oddly covered rolls there that were just brought in by a nice lady and quickly decides to rescue them.

Being a bank that has bullet proof protection in front of the teller and a small tray to pass items through, the teller began to lay the coin rolls in the tray after receiving payment. SW noticed that the first roll placed in the tray had OLD written on it in red pen. Part of the paper wrapper was torn away at one end and SW noted a beautiful silver light shinning off the coin inside. SW's heart began to race a little more as each old roll was placed into the tray and then rescued. SW thanked the sweet teller very much and made a hurried exit as his work site was waiting.

Finally, during a lull at work, SW has the opportunity to search the coin rolls. SW opens the newest looking rolls first and all the coins are post 1971. SW next opens the older wrappers and just about pees his pants. Two solid rolls of 90% coins, mostly 1964, and a mixed roll half 90% and 40% and then more 40% coins in their own rolls. A few Bens were mixed in with the 90s.

Final count from the customer rolls is 50 90% coins and 29 40%ers. Happy Dance was the word for the day.

Including what was found through other box searching for the week, SW ended with 53 90% and 38 40%. SW bought a double lemon M pie for the tellers and delivered it the next day.

Happy hunting to you all, pics will be coming soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year is it?? And still finds like this day after day... AMAZING! Congrats!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thats what i find in 60 boxes in a week once in awhile. Thats a good find.I never got a full roll yet. And in my area i never will. To many coin counters.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So what part of Central West Florida are you? Not that I want to encroach on your hunting, it just gives me some hope. I want to start this hobby to do with the daughters to have some extra family time, something that doesn't involve TV. Thanks for posting!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what part of Central West Florida are you? Not that I want to encroach on your hunting, it just gives me some hope. I want to start this hobby to do with the daughters to have some extra family time, something that doesn't involve TV. Thanks for posting!

His information will tell ya, just look under his name. Red Rover Red Rover Send DOVER Right Over. :sleepy2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread