day 2 at the old orchard my first gold coin!!!

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder

Attachments

• 000_0651[1] (2).jpg
    000_0651[1] (2).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,223
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,270
Upvote 0

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find, Wildcat!!!!!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's the best thing I saw all day!! Congrats

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Wildcat,
That's an incredible find! Congratulations!
You should be very proud of finding that coin. It's not just lucky, because the signal was off but you dug it anyway.

Nice job!

Ridley

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W! That is a stunning find. Congratulations!!! This should be in the best finds and the banner up above.

;) RR

T

TreasureTales

Jeffro said:
Those $1 gold coins were lost like crazy, because they're so small. I bet alot of us have walked right over them.

That's what I think, too. We have all probably walked over one or two if we've done much detecting in old places. Sickening thought, ain't it? LOL

The lesson is again taught that we must dig everything. Yes, it's a pain to do so, but look at the potential results!! How many people have to prove the "dig everything" theory before everybody understands the importance of doing so? Dig it all!!! You can rely on your detectors, or you can dig it all - guess which method pays off better in the long run?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Tremendous find !

Gotta wonder how many of those have been passed up because they sign as iron ?

We found an 1899 $10 gold piece in a relatives coin collection. Just to see, I passed it under both the BH and the CZ - both said IRON. Go figure ?!

Diggem

B

BIG61AL

Super find!!!!!!
You have to dig everting at this location....you just might end up with another gold coin!
Could you repost the picture of the coin with a US dime next to it so we can get the size better.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG! That must'a been some kind of happy dance you were doin! :o

What a GREAT find! Many congrats to you! Nana :)

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
What exactly is an old orchard? Are you saying its an apple orchard...or picnic area? I want to find one in my area, because I hear about them all the time!!!
NICE FINDS!

OP
OP
wildcatman71

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
yes, its a apple, peach, and so on orchard. About a 20 or more acre farm. Lots of people have traveled this place over the years.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
CONGRATULATIONS

I'm ecstatic for you!! Gold coin finds seem to be the thing this week ;D, old mate on the other thread pulled out 2 :o :o :o
Be very hard to beat that gold dollar but half the fun is goin out and trying again ;D. Thanks very much for sharing your moment with us.

HH

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildcatman71 said:
The bad thing is....my detector showed it as iron, picked up a real low 1,2 on it. I thought it was another horseshoe nail!!

Always dig the higher iron signals!!! This just proves my point! Fantastic find!

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
yes indeed iam fired up to get back out and dig everything nothing is an exact science. nice find

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
grogmug said:
What exactly is an old orchard? Are you saying its an apple orchard...or picnic area? I want to find one in my area, because I hear about them all the time!!!
NICE FINDS!

Grog:

Orchards are great because workers took breaks and sat down to eat their meals in the fields, and coins were dropped out of their pockets.

Look for road signs in your town. Names like "Grove Street" or "Fairgrounds Road", "Park Street" or "Orchard Street" are good indications that it may have been an area where people congregated in the days before multiplexes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread