Day 2: Cellar Hole Abandoned C. 1790. Abused Colonial Coins (Silver!) and More!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to a cellar hole along a colonial road that I found using lidar today. I called a buddy, and he was able to get out of work at 5pm, claiming he had a family problem :laughing7:. We then went to the location of a cellar hole, abandoned around 1790-1800. I was there yesterday for two hours, with my parents, and we found five colonial buttons and some colonial furniture pieces. Right away there today I found a colonial flat button. My buddy found one too. I then went into the thick overgrowth, full of poison ivy and ticks, and got a nice 79 on my T2. I pulled out, at 6 inches, the most beat up piece of colonial silver I have ever seen. It is around the size of a nickel, I am guessing that it is a one reale, but it is paper thin. Perhaps it is a 1600's piece of silver, that was dropped in the late 1700's. It is covered in deep gouges, and very worn, getting an ID is impossible, it could be a pine tree for all I know. I then got a deep big iron signal, dug around a foot, and found a colonial iron hoe head. Twenty feet away I got an 80 on my metal detector, six inches deep was another beat up coin, a toasted farthing sized coin. It is bent and toasted. Before I left I dug up another colonial button. I like the fact the there is almost no trash here. I found one rimfire bullet casing and said, "What! Really!", loudly, after finding a piece of late 19th century trash :laughing7:. More finds there in an hour and a half, than in all of 2017, until I found this site. When the weekend comes I will try to stay for a few hours. The fall will be good here, when all the overgrowth is dead.

DSC_0373.JPG DSC_0387.JPG DSC_0389.JPG DSC_0396.JPG DSC_0394.JPG DSC_0381.JPG DSC_0386.JPG DSC_0391.JPG DSC_0390.JPG

Upvote 24

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there was ever a silver coin to nail with your shovel, this was your chance... I would still measure it and see if you can find a couple matches and do some research. Looks like you are on a good old site. Congrats!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That is by far.. the most abused silver I have seen.. but hey! Colonial silver is awesome in any form! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If there was ever a silver coin to nail with your shovel, this was your chance... I would still measure it and see if you can find a couple matches and do some research. Looks like you are on a good old site. Congrats!

Around 21mm. Knowing my luck, if I ever hit a silver coin with the shovel (hard to do because I never find silver), it will probably be a beautiful rare early silver coin :laughing7:.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this site has excellent potential, congratulations on the relics!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well we know where you will be this fall, congrats on the finds. that is one rough but awesome silver. that silver must have gone thru some rough times or should I say the owners did.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we know where you will be this fall, congrats on the finds. that is one rough but awesome silver. that silver must have gone thru some rough times or should I say the owners did.

The farthing is also very beat up. The cellar hole is far away from the town village, there is also another cellar hole or two along the abandoned colonial road. I am guessing that the people who lived there were quite tight on cash at the time.

The silver coin is the exact diameter of a Spanish 1 real, which is the equivalent of 12.5 cents.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I see some letters on the edge of the copper coin, I see a D and a J shaped 1. I am almost positive that it is a George Farthing.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a bit of a pattern in the marks on the silver coin - (ok, so I've had a scotch or two) anybody else seeing things ?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a silver flat button? Looks like an iron dot in the center of it. Could have been a shank there at one time...

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds! That silver has to be one of the most abused I ever saw.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the recoveries the site is starting to show some prospects.

You should know by now by reading threads on why one shouldn't be rubbing and cleaning silver out in the field, look what happened.
How many times did you have to shovel hit that poor silver? :laughing7:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a very ugly silver love token, or the start of one---but i still would be pounding that spot, gotta be more goodies

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe a silver flat button? Looks like an iron dot in the center of it. Could have been a shank there at one time...

That's a piece of bark from the rock I took a photo of it on lol. I realized after I took the photo, and brushed it off :laughing7:.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on the recoveries the site is starting to show some prospects.

You should know by now by reading threads on why one shouldn't be rubbing and cleaning silver out in the field, look what happened.
How many times did you have to shovel hit that poor silver? :laughing7:

:laughing7::laughing7:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds:hello2: I was trying to figure out how to access lidar,is that something you have to pay for?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that you are also in NH, that makes it easier because I am from there too and use the same database.

GRANIT :: LIDAR Project

Download the data, download the free software "FugroViewer", and you can view the lidar data with it in under a minute. Good luck!

I learned about lidar from reading this thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...arch-tool-coinman123-detecto-anyone-else.html, it may be helpful for you if you are curious about using it. I decided to use FugroViewer instead of QGIS though, because it was a little bit more straightforward.

P.S. Don't steal my site :laughing7:.

Last edited:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries there 8-)

Last edited: